San Luis Pass/Titlum Tatlum

mwatson71

San Luis Pass/Titlum Tatlum

Post by mwatson71 »

We launched on Saturday at noon from San Luis Pass and headed into Titlum Tatlum. The tide was out and there were lots of shallow spots (more on that later). The boat traffic was moderate, but significant. I picked up a 15" flounder at the bend but it was probably the skinniest flounder I have ever caught, so it was released to grow and fatten up for someone to catch later. After rounding the bend, I picked up a rat red right at the edge of the drop off.

Shoffer went back into a marsh which looked promising, and I followed suit. I was hoping that it led to one of those glorious pools filled with slot reds. The wind pushed me up into a shallow along one of the bends and I had to pull my drive to push off with my paddle. I forgot to pull the rudder though and snapped the "down" line to my rudder. We had to push the yak up into the grass for ground solid enough to work on it and I kept sinking knee deep into the mud. Shoffer saved the day by making a repair to my rudder line and I was able to pedal back instead of having to paddle back. Coming out of the marsh we saw a boater land a rat red right at the mouth of the drain where the deeper water was. I trolled a Vudu Vixen back to the bend and picked up another rat red. I wanted to go back to the spot where I picked up the flounder to see if there was a bigger one lurking, but caught a dink speck instead to complete my undersized slam.

We fished a little longer and I hooked something large enough to give me a decent run before breaking me off in the oyster. That was about it for the day.

Not the greatest day of fishing results-wise, but as Shoffer commented, "being back in the yaks was like visiting an old friend." It was a really pleasant day, and midday fishing in the yak was so engaging, that it reminded me why I love it so much.
dnordin

Re: San Luis Pass/Titlum Tatlum

Post by dnordin »

Good report. I miss getting out on the yak, my paddling partner, my wife broke her foot and my truck got wrecked about a month ago and have not been able to get out since. Hopefully next week I can give Churchill Bayou and Cold Pass a try again.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Churchill is one of my favorite kayak fishing spots. I’ve had more Texas slams there than anywhere else I have fished.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Glad you got out - nice report.