TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

A Boat Cruise and Then a Kayak Report

Post by karstopo »

IMG_3373.jpeg
IMG_3397.jpeg
IMG_3403.jpeg
IMG_3402.jpeg
Went out recently in my friend’s new boat. His old boat burned up in the fire at Capt. Mark’s a while back and it took a year to get the new one. We cruised out down the Bernard up the ICW to the Brazos then out into the gulf. Friend was putting hours on the new engine. The gulf off the Brazos was full of dolphins, I took a few photos.

On the way in we fished the muddy water and still managed to box several fish all on soft plastics. I was throwing green moon Assassins and he was fishing tsunami shad. I think the final total was 5 slot redfish, two slot trout and two keeper drum. My friend also caught the oversized 29” red in the photo.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A Boat Cruise and Then a Kayak Report

Post by karstopo »

As far as the kayak goes, I think I’ve made two trips in 2024. Both were one keeper redfish trips. The most recent was last Saturday in Drum bay.
IMG_3468.jpeg
Pretty crowded out there. I went out at lunch and launched at the mid bay site. Water was good and green and middle level incoming. Wind was east. The usual seasonal snot algae was definitely clinging to the shell.

I never could get to a spot I wanted to fish, there were eight I’m guessing Eastern European speaking folks with hand nets jumping around in the water and making an insane amount of noise. There had to be some vodka involved.

I had four bites including this nice mid-upper slot that pulled me around a little. I tried a few different lures and flies, but all the bites came on the tan Borski slider. I had what was I believe a very nice trout that pulled off.

Great to get out.