EDIT: Stuffed Flounder

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

EDIT: Stuffed Flounder

Post by Yaklash »

This recipe is basic and came from a restaurant owner friend years ago. I have used the stuffing inside both whole, dressed flounder, as described below, and inside of what I call "Flounder Enchiladas" (roll up flounder fillets with Chile modified stuffing inside and place in a casserole dish like enchiladas, bake, then coat with butter/white wine/cream sauce and sprinkle with Pico de Gallo).

On a gutted, gilled, scaled flounder, I slice along the backbone then fillet out in both directions to the fins, but don't cut thru at the fins. Leave the 2 flaps so that you can fold them back down into place. I leave the head on and only stuff the top side of the fish

Stuffing:

Saute over medium heat - 2 stalks of celery finely diced, 3 cloves of garlic minced and about a teaspoon of minced yellow onion (EDIT: I have taken to using 2-3 green onions thinly sliced in lieu of minced yellow onion. A little less sweetness and a better flavor IMO) - in about 4 tbl. butter. Add the garlic last and don't burn it. Saute 5 minutes tops. Pour into a mixing bowl and let cool slightly.

Add Italian bread crumbs (and maybe a few crushed saltines), salt pepper and seasonings you prefer to taste (I use a little dried orregano, basil and Tony's), diced boiled shrimp, lump crabmeat (**a little lemon juice) and turn softly. Once mixed, add a beaten egg and mix again.

Stuff under the flaps and fold them back into place.

Bake at 375 degrees, basting with butter and (**a little lemon juice) a couple of times, until nearly done in the thickest part. Then baste again and put under the broiler until the edges are golden brown and crispy.

** I never add lemon until the fish is done, because I like the taste and zing of fresh lemon and am not too fond of the smell and taste of baked lemon, but that's just me. Some people prefer lemon juice in their suffing and/or on the fish while it cooks. It's a preference thing and I encourage you to go your own way.
Last edited by Yaklash on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Stuffed Flounder

Post by blesker »

Yaklash wrote:This recipe is basic and came from a restaurant owner friend years ago. I have used the stuffing inside both whole, dressed flounder, as described below, and inside of what I call "Flounder Enchiladas"

Most excellent. :)

Will give this one a go with my next flattie. :)

Thanks man.

b
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

I had some time to cook some flounder that I caught a few months ago, so I tried this recipe out. It was fantastic. Here is a picture of the flounder before I baked it:

Here is a picture afterwards:

I used about 4 oz of diced shrimp, and 4 oz of lump crabmeat. I also added some ritz crackers, and then baked it at 425 for 35 minutes, basting 3 times. Thanks!
Attachments
flounder before cooking.jpg
flounder after cooking.jpg
southtex16

Post by southtex16 »

I prepared this on Monday........best meal I've fixed in a loooong time.
browndog

Post by browndog »

I too had the luxury of fine dining last night with this great recipe. I encourage all to give it a try.

Thank you Yaklash! :lol: I'll now be looking out for your recipes.
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Made this recipe with slight modifications, had a friend who is a seafood chef and wholesaler de-bone and butterfly my 2 big flounder so they made that cool "pocket" with the skin still on, used one box of italian croutons crushed to a coarse powder instead of the bread crumbs, added some parmesean cheese and a 1/4 cup shredded mazarallia (sp?) cheese, then grilled the Flounder 10 minutes each side over a moderately hot hardwood fire. I had quite a bit of crab mixture left over so I crushed up some Ritz crakers and added another egg patted into patties and pan fried a half dozen crab cakes, sprinkled on some shredder montery jack to the cakes after turning.. EXCELLENT!!!
Thanks Yaklash!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bump :lol:
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

That looks wonderful
bignate523

Post by bignate523 »

finally tried this yesterday and it was awesome thanks for sharring the only thing i did different was chopped up 1 sorano pepper seeds and all and threw it in the stuffing made it a little warm but it was good made two one with sorano and one plane for my daughter and mother inlaw
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re:

Post by Yaklash »

bignate523 wrote:finally tried this yesterday and it was awesome thanks for sharring the only thing i did different was chopped up 1 sorano pepper seeds and all and threw it in the stuffing made it a little warm but it was good made two one with sorano and one plane for my daughter and mother inlaw
Thank you bignate523. I took your addition and tweaked it my way - I roasted 3 large jalapenos out of the garden; roasted them over the gas burner of the stove-top, peeled, seeded and diced them and mixed them into the stuffing. What an excellent addition - not so much of the "warm" but all that flavor. That's what I love about stuffing; continuously refining.....
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

Let's see.....flounder, shrimp and crab....MMMMMMMM! How can it NOT be good??
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Tis Flounder season again, so I bumpeth again
topout24

Post by topout24 »

I made this for my family Thanksgiving weekend and they loved it! They being from Iowa loved the fresh fish. Thanks a ton!
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Going to try this next time! Looks really tasty :mrgreen:
Reel Blessed

Post by Reel Blessed »

Good video showing how to butterfly and debone

http://youtu.be/UHnH81ifDqA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
herphishyphishy

Post by herphishyphishy »

Damn. Made this with a 22" Flounder I caught on Wed in Port Mansfield. Awesome!!!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bump. It's that time of year again.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Darn, looks like I am going to have to go knees and elbows with all the masses at Seawolf Park and catch me some flounder so I can try this :lol: Seriously though, it looks and sounds delicious. I'm going to seriously target flounder on my next trip out. Unless I see trout slicks :D
AHP

Post by AHP »

Yaklash, Thanks for bumping this up. I was looking for it last week!
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: EDIT: Stuffed Flounder

Post by Milkjug »

Debone if you really want to impress someone.

I would prefer not to have all those little bones in the middle of my feasting, so I just sandwich the stuffing between 2 layers of fillets.
Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

Yaklash, I tried that recipe and it is OUTSTANDING!!! I found my new favorite recipe for flounder! :D I had two 16" Flatties I thawed out and stuffed for a table of 3. Great dish!
IMG_2093[1].JPG
IMG_2101[1].JPG
IMG_2103[1].JPG
TL!
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

FYI the deli fresh crab cakes from Kroger with real crab meat work well for stuffing. Not doubting the above recipe, just a less expensive lazy way IMO.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Glad you liked it Yakety-Yak
Copperfish wrote:FYI the deli fresh crab cakes from Kroger with real crab meat work well for stuffing. Not doubting the above recipe, just a less expensive lazy way IMO.
Good idea, Copperfish! I must admit, I do have access to free or dirt cheap fresh lump crab meat from a friend with his own restaurant, so when I plan to make this dish, I just cruise by there at lunch, have the best fried shrimp in town and take home some shrimp and crab meat for dinner. Two birds, one trip....
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

I'm heading out in the morning for some flounder and, hopefully, crab. Haven't had stuffed flounder in a long time.
Yaklash wrote:I must admit, I do have access to free or dirt cheap fresh lump crab meat from a friend with his own restaurant, so when I plan to make this dish, I just cruise by there at lunch, have the best fried shrimp in town and take home some shrimp and crab meat for dinner. Two birds, one trip....
:D Mind telling us where to find that best fried shrimp in town?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Spoonbill wrote: I'm heading out in the morning for some flounder and, hopefully, crab. Haven't had stuffed flounder in a long time.
Yaklash wrote:I must admit, I do have access to free or dirt cheap fresh lump crab meat from a friend with his own restaurant, so when I plan to make this dish, I just cruise by there at lunch, have the best fried shrimp in town and take home some shrimp and crab meat for dinner. Two birds, one trip....
:D Mind telling us where to find that best fried shrimp in town?
A bit of an overstatement :lol: , but they are in my top 5 for sure.

I was speaking of Massa's South Coast Grille at 1331 Lamar in downtown Houston. Best thing about this restaurant (besides knowing the family most of my life) is it is relatively empty at night. Because most downtown restaurants don't do much business beyond lunch. Downside, close Sundays and only open 5 pm - 10 pm on Saturdays.

Oh, and he has had some excellent flounder dishes for the last month.Might be shut down for now though because his source was a commercial gigger - even they can't gig in November.