What to buy?

AddSalt

What to buy?

Post by AddSalt »

I know you all have heard it a million times but what should I buy for my first Kayak? I would like to stay under $400 so my options are limited. I was leaning toward the OK Speck, but thought I might be better off holding out for a higher quality used yak if I can find a good deal. I want something at least 12' but would prefer 14', let me know what you think.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The best advice is to "demo some kayaks" and then see if they can meet your $400 price limit. It isn't wise to purchase any yak without demoing it first. If you buy a yak without demoing it and you don't like it, you've blown $400.

In general, shorter yaks are wider than longer length yaks. Many places in the Galveston Bay complex....aren't short paddles. The 14' yak has the advantage over a 12' yak in this regard. Food for thought.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

OK is a very good brand, and very good quality yaks...

Is it the best? No

Is there a best? No

It is a very good yak that can be used BTB or in the bays, but I do suggest 'try before you buy' There is a yak that will best fit what you want...You just have to find it

I was limited money wise like you and I got a scrambler XT (very similar to speck)...It works for me. Im saving for something better suited in the bays, but right now it gets me on the water to the fish (well, sometimes :wink:)...Its not too terribly slow, and can handle rough conditions very well (which seems to happen alot when I go fishing)

chris
five-O
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by five-O »

Watch the classified forum and you can sometimes get a better used kayak than a cheap new one. IMHO if you buy a cheaper kayak you will soon find that you want to upgrade. Save some dough and keep an eye on the classifieds and buy a better yak. In the $400 dollar range you arent going to get a new one that you will be pleased with after you gain experience and want to paddle to further places. There are several places that rent kayaks and will apply the rent towards the purchase of a new yak when you are ready. That may be a better option for you.
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

yes watch the forums!! you can find the best deals on yaks there!!!

but if you want a new yak like I did when I started out and you only have 400 to play with, buy a SPEC IMO you cant go wrong. its a great stater platform and wont break the bank. after all kayaking may not be the way you want to fish!!! believe it or not it may happen lol.

you can pm me with ANY questions you have about the spec or kayaking in general. and if I cant answer your questions then I will tell you can!

Tony
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Hey AddSalt

Post by JimD »

Please read the article "What is best for me" on Kayaking.

We know nothing about you, your size, health, ability, how you plan to carry it, and what you are planning to do in a kayak except you have 400$ to spend.

It is hard to make suggestions untill we know more about you.

Take Night Wing- He fits a scupper pro tw perfectly. If you are 200 or larger you will never get your rear in the seat. Joe is probably 160 and 5' 8" if we wet him down. Real wet

There are other kayaks that are made for the "big boys" well over 230 so it all depends on you first all.

Used kayaks are at a premium on the board right now since everyone wants to kayak. Used to be 70% retail for a used kayak was a fair deal and 60% was a great deal. Now most people can get close to what they paid for their used kayak in good shape.

You need to look at what fits you fjrst. Go down to FTU and try a few kayaks even though you can not buy one and see what is right.

Decide if you can find one in the local green sheet or such because many times people selling are not up on the value of what they are selling compared to what one on our used board might sell for.

After you have read, looked, tired a few , and thought about kayaking some more then you will be able to better decide what is best for you.
AddSalt

Post by AddSalt »

Thanks ffor the help, looks like I'm just going to have to get my feet wet a few times to figure out what I want/need.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Your are right

Post by JimD »

Go to the demo days this weekend that someone is having then over to Cut Rate and try as many kayaks as you can. Really I wolud reverse it go play in the kiddy pool then off to get in real water.

If you have never been out then you donot have much of a base line to work from.
See what is right for you before you buy.