APCTKF Fly In Fly Swap

Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

APCTKF Fly In Fly Swap

Post by Animal Chris »

The Aransas Pass Chapter of TKF “Fly In” is set for April 17. Having “volunteered” to head up the fly swap I am please to announce the eagerly awaited “Fly In” Fly Swap. Since this is a first for the Aransas Pass Chapter, I feel the theme for this swap should be Aransas Bay* Patterns A.B.C. - Anything But Clousers. They can be surface, sub-surface, sinking, weed less…what ever pattern and color you like to use.

*Another twist to this swap is I have set some boundary lines. This area will include Aransas, Redfish (area North and East of the Aransas (Shrimp Boat) Channel), Little and South Bays along with the Lighthouse Lakes and all the coves and lakes along the bay side of St. Joe’s Island to the entrance of Carlos Bay.

This is the sign up list for the Fly In Swap, and we will limit the participation to 12 tyers. Until March 1st, it will be open to Aransas Pass Chapter members only. After March 1st, it will be open to all TKF members. The Deadline date will be April 1st. Once you have committed to a pattern, I will PM all participants with mailing information. Guideline / FAQ thread applies.

Also, no pressure, but if you like, throw in an extra for a “swap fly giveaway” at some point in the future, possibly the Fly In or some other TKF gathering.

So, with that sait, let’s get to tying!!

1. Animal Chris - Baited Breath
2. Fishin' - Poon Wiggler
3. Livetofish - Bob's Banger #2
4. Popasan - Cactus Minnow
5. Waterbug - Mr. Pinky Size #6
6. M-D - R/W Pencil Popper (or Slider) #4
7. GoinCoastal aka Capt. Sherbert - Sea Tiger #6
8. Barry - Voodoo Child - SRV Style! - Finished
9. TKFClay - Spoon Fly
10. Raw10628 - TBD
11. KC Kulhanek - Hot Butt Shrimp
12. Lazyloop - Borski Slider
Last edited by Animal Chris on Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 17 times in total.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I would like to participate and will tie a surface pattern. Just not sure which pattern, gurgler or similar to poon wiggler.

fishin'
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Put me down for some kind of popper/slider.

LTF
popasan

Post by popasan »

sign me up and i will get back with you with a pattern........nice job fly swap master...... :) ......for those who would like to tie up a few extra, we could use them for door prizes......

Larry
waterbug

Post by waterbug »

AC,

I believe a bendback would be appropriate for the area. Put me down for the Mr. Pinky on a #6.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Chris,

Count me in, too. Dont know what I'll tie yet, but it wont be anything usual. Imagine that. :roll:

M-D
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I am in too!!!! I will tie a #6 SEA TIGER.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Chris
Put me down for some Voodoo's.
I'm not sure I understand what this applies to;
*Another twist to this swap is I have set some boundary lines. This area will include Aransas, Redfish (area North and East of the Aransas (Shrimp Boat) Channel), Little and South Bays along with the Lighthouse Lakes and all the coves and lakes along the bay side of St. Joe’s Island to the entrance of Carlos Bay.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry,
Are you going to tie the Jimi Hendrix version or the Stevie Ray Vaughn version of them "chirren"? I've got you down.

As far as the boundry lines, I put those in just to see how long it would take before some one asked why I put in boundry lines. "Spoken like a true smart a**", isn't it!
Actually, there is a method to my maddness. In the deep dark days of the upcoming spring, summer or fall months, there will be some of us shooting e-mails back and forth about how hot it is in East Texas or how dry it is in South Texas or how sandy the water is in West Bay, basically we will all be acting like Dean is now. When that happens I will call upon the powers that be (you know who you are out there) to declare we have, at the same time as our meeting for that month, a "One Fly" contest (details to come later) and this might very well be the boundries for said contest. If it is, then I will propose to the Grand Poohbah that the flies from this swap constitute the patterns eligible for the contest. Of course to be fair to all participants, we might want to first raffle off the pattern for each entrant, then hold a round table to tie his or her (hear this Mercy) fly for that day. This could make for an interesting challange.
And then again, it could be that I wanted to see just how long it took before someone asked why I put in boundry lines?!.

Hope to see you on the 28th. Tight Lines, AC
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

AC
I'll tie the SRV version.
About the boundries, have I told you lately that you're a strange little man?
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Winter will do that to a person, but come to think of it, you said that last summer, too. Hmmmm, do I note a trend in this pattern of behavior? But then again, if I did, would it be the old Catch-22? Am I really strange, or is every one around me that way and being normal just makes me look like a strange little man (how you got that, I'll never know at 6'1" and 240 lbs.) I'll have to think on that one. AC
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I like the idea of the one fly contest. Sounds like a good contest using only the flies tied from the fly swap for the specified locality. Interesting concept. :shock:

I think we are all ready for warmer water. :lol:
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Here's mine where's yours?
Attachments
Voodoo Child
<br />Shallow Water Version
Voodoo Child
Shallow Water Version
Voodoo Child-SWV-S. Bager.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
popasan

Post by popasan »

Barry,

that is a great lookin' voodoo......really nice..... :)

Larry
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Is there still a spot open?
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Sure, Clay. If you join in, we will still have 3 open. Monday the remaining spots, if there are any left, go up for grabs. Let me know what you are goint to tie and I'll add you to the list.
That little s**t Barry had to go and get his done before the swap was even closed. Don't you just hate a show off?
Welcome aboard. AC
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

You know Barry, looking at your VD Chiren, they could pass as a dry fly at a glance, with the nice palmered body and the red head.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

How about a spoon fly. I'm really getting myself in deep here.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

You and your spoon flies are in. This is shaping up to be a good swap.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Animal Chris wrote:You know Barry, looking at your VD Chiren, they could pass as a dry fly at a glance, with the nice palmered body and the red head.

AC
The Voodoos are nothing but a Seaducer with a Glow-in- the- dark Flasabou tail instead of the saddle hackle.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry, I know what they are, I was just commenting on the look in the photo. If you didn't know that was a SS hook, you might sware that fly could float. What really makes it shine is the proportional balance all the material has and the way the gray (?) hackle tips show, with the dark to the inside and that neatly tied red head. I'll be proud to let any greedy redfish suck that down it's gullet. AC.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Animal Chris wrote:Barry, I know what they are, I was just commenting on the look in the photo. If you didn't know that was a SS hook, you might sware that fly could float. What really makes it shine is the proportional balance all the material has and the way the gray (?) hackle tips show, with the dark to the inside and that neatly tied red head. I'll be proud to let any greedy redfish suck that down it's gullet. AC.

AC
Thanks for the kind words about the Voodoos. Silver Badger is one of my favorite color hackle to use. I like the way the light (silver/white) outer barbles frame the darker center (Drk Brn/Blk). This version (shallow water) is a killer in the really skinny water (12" or less) as it lands like a feather, and sinks very slowly (it almost suspends). I've had very good luck with this color combination in the past year or so. The Wiz (Bill Harvey) told me he has had better luck with the darker versions. However, I think the success I’ve had with this color is due to the center of the fly being dark.
I tie them on #4 stainless hooks for use in the deeper water.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Damn thing looks like a Griffith's Gnat, with a trailing shuck, on steroids. :lol:

M-D
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Well I gues I might as well join in on this one too. I don't know yet what I will tie, but will figure it out in the next couple of days.
MRSRIDE
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by MRSRIDE »

I've got some really awesome hackle on a rooster (that is soon to be available) with dark green on the inside and red around the edges.

Who will start the bidding?