Spicey Lentil Soup

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Spicey Lentil Soup

Post by Yaklash »

My own personal concoction. Has a bite to it if you do it all the way spicey. The chili powder should be fresh. If you have a jar that's been in your spice rack for more than a month or two, get some new stuff. It's more important than you can imagine. If you're into making your own like I am, even better.

Spicey Lentil Soup

 3 Tbl. Butter
 ¼ large Onion, diced
 1 Carrot, diced
 1 stalk Celery, diced
 ½ Bell Pepper, seeded & diced
 ½ Poblano pepper, seeded & diced
 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
 2 Clove Garlic, minced
 1 Tbl. Chili Powder
 2-3 quarts Water (depending on if you like thin or thick)
 2 Tbl. Ketchup
 1 Tbl.Soy Sauce
 1 Tbl. Worcestershire Sauce
 1 ¼ cups dried green Lentils, washed and drained
 1 ¼ cups dried Split Peas, washed and drained
 Tobasco(optional)
 1-2 tsp. salt

Heat the butter in a heavy bottom soup pot and sauté the carrot, celery, bell pepper, poblano and jalapeno for 5 minutes on medium/ low heat. Add garlic and saute for another 5 minutes. Add chili powder and stir well to combine. Sauté another minute then add the water, Lentils and Peas, and bring to a boil. Add Ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire Sauce. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes to an hour. Add the Tobasco and salt to taste.
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Spicey Lentil Soup

Post by blesker »

Yaklash wrote:My own personal concoction. Has a bite to it if you do it all the way spicey. The chili powder should be fresh. If you have a jar that's been in your spice rack for more than a month or two, get some new stuff. It's more important than you can imagine. If you're into making your own like I am, even better.
<snip>

Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes to an hour. Add the Tobasco and salt to taste.

I'll be trying it AFTER this current cold front's turkey tortilla soup gets made. :)

That said - how do you make your own chili powder? It'd be worthy to know. I have dehydrators, a food processor, and a mixer, so I suspect I may have some of the tools of destruction already at hand.

b
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Chili Powder:

Get about 20-25 dried chili peppers, the bigger the better, that you buy at Fiesta or any market that carries ethnic foods. Cut them in half long-ways and remove the stems and seeds. Clean the pieces under running water (do not submerge), then dry completely with a towel. Place on a baking sheet and let them air out while you heat the oven. Put in the oven on low heat and bake until they become brittle, but not burned. Take them out and let them cool a bit, then put the baked pieces in a food processor and chop to a powder. I keep the chili powder in the fridge for about 2 months before I throw it out, as there are no preservatives in what you make yourself.

If you like chili powder you'll never want to use store bought again.
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

Yaklash wrote:Chili Powder:

Get about 20-25 dried chili peppers, the bigger the better, that you buy at Fiesta or any market that carries ethnic foods. Cut them in half long-ways and remove the stems and seeds. Clean the pieces under running water (do not submerge), then dry completely with a towel. Place on a baking sheet and let them air out while you heat the oven. Put in the oven on low heat and bake until they become brittle, but not burned. Take them out and let them cool a bit, then put the baked pieces in a food processor and chop to a powder. I keep the chili powder in the fridge for about 2 months before I throw it out, as there are no preservatives in what you make yourself.

If you like chili powder you'll never want to use store bought again.

Merci mucho amigo.

Looks worthy.

b