I need a goog Sheepshead recipe....HELP

recondoc

I need a goog Sheepshead recipe....HELP

Post by recondoc »

I ended up with about 25# of sheepshead meat from my last trip out. I've never cooked it up and need some advice on the to dos and not to dos.
Any advice from experienced sheepshead munchers is highly appreciated.
Doc
Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Iraq 2003 1st Marines RCT 1
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I love Sheepies.. I like to also grill them whole but here is a good recipe.

4 to 5 pound whole sheepshead (gutted but not scaled)
6 pounds coarse or Kosher salt
1 recipe Romesco Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Rinse the whole fish and pat it dry.
In a heavy casserole large enough to hold the fish and all the salt, make a 2 inch layer of salt. Make a shallow, fish shaped impression in the salt and lay the fish on top. Distribute the remaining salt around and over the fish so that it is completely covered. Pat the salt down gently, cover the casserole and bake for about 1 hour. Remove the cover and tap the salt to break it (it will have formed an armorlike crust). Break the crust and pull off most of the salt. Then peel away and discard the skin. Serve the flesh immediately, accompanied by the Romesco sauce.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Filet completely
Remove all bones

Dip into Milk/egg mixture

then into flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika mixture

then into hot frying pan with good quality virgin olive oil (1/4 inch)

watch closely while sauteing (sp).

Prepare dipping sauce:

catsup
horse radish (white)
lee and perrins sauce
lemon juice
touch of clam sauce (optional)

Enjoy!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Filet completely
Remove all bones

Dip into Milk/egg mixture

then into flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika mixture

then into hot frying pan with good quality virgin olive oil (1/4 inch)

watch closely while sauteing (sp).

Prepare dipping sauce:

catsup
horse radish (white)
lee and perrins sauce
lemon juice
touch of clam sauce (optional)

Enjoy
recondoc

Post by recondoc »

Thanks guys,
All others, keep it coming. I've got a lot of this stuff to eat. I'll suffer as I must. :D
Doc
Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I personally treat it like any other fish, though I prefer them cooked whole (gutted, gilled and scaled) in a foil "bag" with celery, potatoes, onions, garlic, salt and lemon pepper and 1 to 1-1/2 cups water, on the grille, steamed.

Also, there are 2 good recipes I contributed to this forum that would be good for sheepshead, "Snapper Veracruz" and "Pop's Flounder Casserole." Both take fillets or cut up chunks of fish.
yak caster
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by yak caster »

Just got a fryer for Christmas and tried it last night on sheephead. Incredible.....

Fillets shook in a sack of Zatarains Fish Fryer (country kitchen or garlic) and cooked them at 370 degrees until they floated. Yum, best eating there is.
Bass Pro Addict

Post by Bass Pro Addict »

Sheepshead also makes for great seviche, the meat holds up well to cooking power of the lime juice. Great beginning to a light summer time meal. One of my personal favorites, enjoy.
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: I need a goog Sheepshead recipe....HELP

Post by NaplesJohn »

recondoc wrote:I ended up with about 25# of sheepshead meat from my last trip out. I've never cooked it up and need some advice on the to dos and not to dos.
Any advice from experienced sheepshead munchers is highly appreciated.
Doc
Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

Sounds like yo slayed em' Where were you???? I love sheephead!
recondoc

Post by recondoc »

We went out T-giving weekend with Ambush Guide Service out of Copano.
Fished San Antonio Bay, Mesquite Bay and surrounding areas. All around, a fantastic day on the water. Our guide wasn't very chatty but he could sure put us on the fish. We kept a total of 55 fish between 4 people with a mix of Reds, Specks, Blacks and Sheepshead. We threw back about 3-4 times as many as we kept.
I just had some more SH done with the Zatarans this evening.
Doc
Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Geminiwayz

Post by Geminiwayz »

The sheepshead is probably gone by now seeing how this is an older post.. but 25 pounds? HEhehehhe. You may still have some bags in the freezer. I have heard they were really good to eat if you could get past the bones. Did you find a favorite recipe? I was curious myself seeing as how I heard the meat was REALLY good if cleaned right but I have never actually tried before.

The site below lists a variety of options for cooking:

http://www.wwltv.com/frankdavis/gsrecip ... pshead.htm

Not sure if you are into Thai food but this recipe sounded kind of interesting too.

http://www.pierfishingguide.com/sheepshead_recipe.html
dhusbands

Post by dhusbands »

I caught quite a few sheepshead this weekend,they have pretty firm meat and can be cooked like most other fish.I like to blacken them, with a sauce made of heavy cream,crawfish,lumpcrab meat,capers and parsley.When the sauce has heated and has reduced a little thicken with butter and pour over fish.(Not for dieters) :lol:
Geminiwayz

Post by Geminiwayz »

dhusbands wrote:I caught quite a few sheepshead this weekend,they have pretty firm meat and can be cooked like most other fish.I like to blacken them, with a sauce made of heavy cream,crawfish,lumpcrab meat,capers and parsley.When the sauce has heated and has reduced a little thicken with butter and pour over fish.(Not for dieters) :lol:

MMMmm. That sounds pretty good. You are right about that, probably not for dieters! :lol: Sure sounds good though. I have been wanting to try sheepshead but any time they have been caught, were released b/c of the hassles I have heard about with cleaning them. I found a couple of sites today that give details on cleaning em' so maybe I will be more apt to keep em from now on.
dhusbands

Post by dhusbands »

I don't usually have much trouble with them just make sure your knife is sharp and watch those fins.Usually I will not keep them because there is not that much meat on them but if that is all I am catching and the size is good it is worth it. :D :D