McAllen area fishing?

pescado

McAllen area fishing?

Post by pescado »

Anyone know of where to fish in the McAllen area? I will be there Thursday and Friday and will be bored. I will not be taking my kayak, so it will be bank fishing. I heard of a hole in Donna, where you cannot consume the fish you eat, but I'm catch and release, so that doesn't matter. If you suggest Falcon Lake in Zapata, I won't be able to make it there, so it needs to be in the McAllen area.

Thanks

David
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I'll be spending the day in Pharr saturday. Donna lake is not to far from McAllen. Just go down buisness 83. There is also Delta lake. Its about 30 miles towards raymondville, on the other side of Elsa. I see alot of fishermen there. You can always try the channels between McAllen and Edinburg. It's been years so I'm sure there's been some changes.
pescado

Post by pescado »

Fishing On Credit, thanks for the tips. Do you know where those channels are?

David
pescado

Post by pescado »

Fishing On Credit, thanks for the tips. Do you know where those channels are?

David
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I'm sorry I put channels. I meant canals. If you drive from McAllen towards Edinburg you will cross a few small canals. just drive along side one and try it out. The water isn't very deep but we used to catch descent catfish on small grass shrimp. There is also carp and I think tilapia. Light tackle is what I used to use. Start on tenth st. or 23rd st. at nolana st. and drive towards Edinburg.***STAY WITHIN SIGHT OF THE BRIDGES THAT CROSS THE CANALS. PEOPLE USED TO GET MUGGED ONCE THEY DROVE AROUND THE BIG DIRT MOUNDS ALONG THE CANALS*** The dirt roads along the canals might be too muddy from the rain so donna lake might be better. I might try donna lake saturday afternoon. The guys at the Academy reel counter in McAllen might also have info. on where to fish.