Eggs 3 ea
Vegetable Oil 2 cup
Salt 1 tsp
Parsley .5 tbl
Butter (real) 2 tbl
Olive Oil 3 tbl

1. Clean trout and filet.
2. Heat vegetable oil in pot heat
3. Peal potato and slice in to small, very thin strips (matchstick).
4. Place strips in to bowl of water and let set
5. Crush the croutons in to a rough breading
6. Drain potato strips and fry in hot vegetable oil
7. Do not over cook the potato (should look bright orange).
8. Add crispy potato strips to crushed crotons and mix
9. Add salt and chopped parsley to bread mix
10. Crack eggs in to a bowl and whisk
11. Lay the trout into the egg and then into the breading
12. Push firmly and well coat the trout on both sides
13. Melt butter on hot skillet and ad olive oil
14. Lay trout breading side first on to the skillet
15. Cook for about 4-5 min and then flip
16. Cook until done

Butter Sauce

Whipping Cream 1 pint
Butter (real) 1 stick
Salt 2 pinch
Lemon Juice 2 tbl

1. Pour cream in to a hot pan
2. Cook cream over med high heat until reduced by half
3. Add salt and lemon juice
4. Reduce another half then turn off heat
5. Slowly add butter and slowly melt in to cream
6. Whisk together until smooth
BJ
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BJ »

I was going to post this exact recipe (can't remember where I found it about a year ago)...but was worried that i'd be giving away a great secret...This is, without a doubt, the BEST fish you have ever eaten.

Since you beat me to it, I'll add - lay the fish over a thin bed of mashed potatoes to bulk up your meal...

Also - I've made with flounder fillets as well as trout and may even prefer the flounder...
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

I am glad you like it. It's my recipe :lol:! I did it for the Sweet Potato Growers Assoc. years ago and it is one of my signature dishes. I posted it a while back on one of the TKF threads you may have gotten it there. Since I have gotten so much great information from everyone I thought I would share.
BJ
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BJ »

well then I thank you enormously.
yes i did get it off a message board (probably here before I started posting). and it is DEEEELICIOUS.

one question about putting the strips of sweet potatoes in water...why? and for how long?...I've varied the amount of time each time i've done it...basically, I'll do the sweet potatoe first, put them in water and leave them until I get the oil ready and heated up...I have no idea if that's long enough...either way, it's excellent...I have impressed several people with it...

If there are single guys reading this and you no longer want to be single...i suggest making this for a date... :lol: it's that good.
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

The reason you soak the potatoes is to remove the starch. When small potato strips a fryed or cooked together the starch acts like a glue and sticks them together. With out the starch they seperate and cook crisp and don't lose the color. You only need to soak them for 10-15 min or so. Starting with the potato soaking first like you do is perfect. If you ever make home made french fries you should do the same thing but soak them longer.
duke

Post by duke »

Queyak do you crush the crisp sweet potato in the crushed crouton or leave them as strips? Also for the butter sauce, does the cream scorch easily?
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

I press the potato strips in to the crushed croutons while mixing them together. I try not to crush them up to small because I like the look when they are still visable and I think it adds more to the flavor. The cream will not scorch unless you reduce to far. While it cooks the water content of the cream evaporates and it gets thick. If you cook all the water out it will scorch so reduce till it's the consistence of glue and take it off the heat. If you think you might scorch it turn the heat down before it is done and reduce the cream slowly.
whitedog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Queyak

Post by whitedog »

Thanks for your comments on removing the starch from potatoes. I'm gonna try it!
Barry's Dad

soaking Potatoes

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Queyak,
I love just reading your recipies.
I fix a pan of home fried potatoes and have always had trouble getting them apart. Well some times I did not. If I peeled and placed them in a bowl of water to stop them from turning black. I did not know that I was taking the starch out too. Thanks.

Where is it you do you fixn' I would love to dine at one of your dinners.

ol Al
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

I have taken over a new restaurant on the river walk in San Antonio. I am the Director of Operations and am now creating an infrastucture so they can branch out and franchise or build another. It is not a restaurant based on food but entertainment and theme. But I still do consulting for other kitchens, private cooking classes, and private catering. My heart and soul will still be in the kitchen and I will always try to create and study new things to eat and make. I am glad you like the recipes and I hope to put some more up.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I know it's is an old thread, but I tried this tonight with a little brown/wild rice on the side. Outstanding recipe! My wife is not a fan of the sweet potato and was a little hesitant to try this, but I didn't hear any complaints out of her after she started eating. Thanks for sharing Queyak.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Queyak could probably fry up an old tennis shoe and make it good.
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

Glad to hear it went over well! :D

I can cook a shoe but it needs to be fresh, almost no age to it. Marinating the shoe is the important part.
BJ
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BJ »

ttt
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Looks like an awesome recipe.

Queyak-- have you tries it with some chopped pecans also? Or is that too much and covers other flavors? I'm thinking along the lines of two of my favorites - Pecan crusted catfish and sweet potatoes with pecans and brown sugar at Thanksgiving.
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Post by cheapsk8 »

THis is going in my favorite right now. Mouth is watering, now I just need to catch some fish.
dhusbands

Post by dhusbands »

Queyak wrote:I have taken over a new restaurant on the river walk in San Antonio. I am the Director of Operations and am now creating an infrastucture so they can branch out and franchise or build another. It is not a restaurant based on food but entertainment and theme. But I still do consulting for other kitchens, private cooking classes, and private catering. My heart and soul will still be in the kitchen and I will always try to create and study new things to eat and make. I am glad you like the recipes and I hope to put some more up.
Cook on brother....I too have moved on to a corporate chef role and do not have the knife on the board as much as I would like but the heart is always in the kitchen, that is a great recipe I can't wait to try it I just need to catch the trout, thanks man. :D :D
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Finally got around to making this recipe...it was a BIG hit..awesome..thanks for the recipe..you must be a really good cook..the sauce reminded me of a lemon butter caper sauce for grilled fish..put that one in the memory banks..thanks again for the contribution...
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

double dip wrote: Queyak-- have you tries it with some chopped pecans also? Or is that too much and covers other flavors?
For me personally I think nuts are to strong for lighter fish like trout but I know folks that love almonds on their Trout, I wouldn't do it but that's more personal preference than a rule. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.
vincent wrote:Finally got around to making this recipe......
It's only 3 years old. :lol: I had almost forgotten I posted this recipe. I'm glad to hear it went well you must be a good cook as well. Recipes can't cook so you have to have some talent to make it work. :D
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

just another one of the hidden jewels on TKF..spend enough time on here looking around ..you'll find something of interest...this recipe kinda reminded me of how my mom would cook beef cutlets..when I was younger..so I call them sweet potato trout cutlets... :D next time I do beef I'll add some sweet potato...