need good backstrap recipe, other than chicken fried

MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

need good backstrap recipe, other than chicken fried

Post by MONSTER »

any suggestions? Thanks.
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Post by cheapsk8 »

I like to take it and slice thin and put it in an electric skillet and lightly brown it with some onion. Then I like to add a can of French onion soup and some water and simmer for a hour or more
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

I used this recipe the last time I got my hands on some backstrap and it was amazing.
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds venison backstrap (tenderloin), cut into 2 inch chunks
1 quart apple cider
1 1/2 pounds thick sliced bacon
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice
DIRECTIONS
Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbeque sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 more hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Backstrap sliced the thickness of bacon, marinate in soy sauce for a couple of hours, wrap with bacon and grill until done.

Can add cored jalapenas for spicy flavor!
dhusbands

Post by dhusbands »

Hey Mythman mind if I steel that Idea :?: , sounds good :D :D
flatsfischer

Post by flatsfischer »

What Mythman said. Yes, it is very tasty and my very favorite. I like to use maple bacon. I shake a little bit of Lawry's season all just to give it a little kick.
jhjspecks
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhjspecks »

If you have not sliced it up and it is still in roast form, inject with marinate and then wrap with bacon. cook on high temp on pit for about 10 minutes. then place in 350 oven wrapped in foil for about 20 minutes. check to see if done, slice and serve with angel hait garlic pasta!
SHC

Post by SHC »

I like to cook my backstrap like dove. Cut it into chunks, lay on some Jalepeno, Onion, and cream cheese, wrap it tight in bacon, skewer it and marinate it in Italian dressing and Tony's. Throw it on the grill and let it go. It won't dry out if the bacon is good, and it makes a great appetizer or meal.

Also you can throw it in a crock pot with a can of pace picante sauce and vegetables and let it go for 8 hours and it will be the most tender backstrap you have ever had. (also works great with a roast if you cut em out right).
bbump

Another

Post by bbump »

Slice whole backstrap into 1¼ to 2" thick
heat saute pan with equal parts butter and olive oil
chop some garlic and onion (to taste)
place meat into heated pan
add
salt, pepper and chilpote to taste
add garlic and onion
When almost done cooking add a dab of Blue Cheese

don't overcook, I do mine rare, like my steaks
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

wow.....my wife loves the bleu cheese......that sounds like a good one. thanks.

a tip to anyone else who may inquire about backstrap recipes.......DO NOT OVERCOOK!! it's already been mentioned in this thread...but it is very easy to do. i cut mine to check it....was still undercooked. a few minutes later...it was medium....and a little dry. rare to medium rare is the way to go.
profish00

Post by profish00 »

Roll ups, wrap bacon so cream cheese wont drip out.
Attachments
cool til bacon is done
cool til bacon is done
patio 008.jpg
patio 012.jpg
Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Peddle Power »

Here is a recipe that works well for any kind of meat (except fish) you like and want to be tender.

The marinade is really easy: 3 cups of salsa (your choice, I prefer Pace hot), 3/4 cup Whorechestershire sauce, 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark). This marinade is based for 5lbs of meat. Mix all the marinade ingredients and put meat in and refridgerate for at least 6 hours.

After marinading for at least 6 hours place meat and marinade in a baking pan and bake for 5 - 6 hours at 300 degrees.

If you prefer you can also fix using a slow cooker. All the prep is the same. Put meat and marinade in slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. The meat comes out tender and the left overs are great the next day.
Make some mashed potatoes and put the marinade over the taters, this is well worth trying IMHO.
Lat22

Post by Lat22 »

Butter and an iron skillet is all I need if I'm not frying.
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

This thread made my mouth water.

I like the Bacon wrapped fillets with Worcester or Teriyaki and then Montreal seasoning. I like to use Mesquite, Pecan and some fruit wood like Peach or Apple for extra flavor. I also like to throw oregano, rosemary and thyme on the fire right before I remove the fillets. Use a Doe or young Buck and serve rare. Use other recipes for old bucks. This also works for Feral hog tenderloins.

Another way I like is made like Steak Diane, see the Joy of Cooking for a recipe.