Carnitas

Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Carnitas

Post by Animal Chris »

Carnitas

Carnitas is a very famous Mexican dish. The pork is first simmered for a long time to make it really soft and then braised in a skillet (or oven) to make it crispy. Since the recipe is very simple and does not involve any chili sauces everyone likes carnitas. You can add the heat on your own as you eat it. This recipe serves 4-6.

Ingredients:
• 4 pounds of boneless pork shoulder
• Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
• 3 cloves garlic, mashed
• 2 -16oz cans of chicken broth
• 1 tbs. chopped cilantro
• 1 tbs chopped cumin
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 large onion, quartered
• Lard or cooking oil
• Hot Corn Tortillas
• Chili sauce, such as Pico de Gallo, chipotle or whatever you like
• Guacamole Cruda

Pre-cooking:
• Cut the pork meat in chunks and discard big pieces of fat, leave some fat as it adds to the flavor
• Season meat with salt pepper and rub it with mashed garlic. Place in non metallic bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let marinade for 2-3 hours (or longer if you feel necessary) in the refrigerator.
• Chop the cilantro and cumin if you need to

Cooking:
• Set tall frying pan in mid-high heat
• Add the pork, cilantro, cumin, onion and broth
• If necessary, add water so that the meat is covered
• Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily
• Remove the meat and place it in a roasting pan, discarding the onion and broth, brake apart the meat in smaller chunks
• Heat lard or cooking oil in frying pan and fry until the meat is brown and crispy (or bake in a 450° pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes)
• Heat the tortillas and enjoy, you can serve it with your favorite chili sauce, guacamole cruda, chopped onions and cilantro

Tip: A Pressure Cooker really helps here. If you like making dishes like this one often you should consider the pressure cooker. It will cut cooking time to half hour..
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

hmm that sounds very good and I happen to have a hog in the freezer. Thanks, I think I may give that a shot this weekend. I've done something like this with deer shoulders but never fried it in the end (basically just a roast.) I just might have to heat up the dutch kettle and give it a a go
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Chris --- I like your method. The old method was to simmer the meat in lard instead of broth. We made them that way for a long time. Gives a great flavor, but not real favorable on the waistline. I'll give these a try.

We love them with a little cilantro, queso fresco or cojito cheese, maybe fresg avocado, and fresh corn tortillas. Basically the same as what you have.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

double dip wrote:The old method was to simmer the meat in lard instead of broth. We made them that way for a long time. Gives a great flavor, but not real favorable on the waistline.
DD, I found that if you don't trim too much of the fat off, you still get the flavor of the lard with out the grease.

I like to get my corn tortillas fresh from family owned Mexican restaurant near the house. Once the meat is ready, warm up a comal to heat the corn tortillas. This will bring out the lard used in making of the tortillas. I think this really make a great taco.

Like the motto of my favorite Cuban restaurant in Key West...

"A moment on the lips, forever on the hips".
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Yeah... I've found that fresh ingredients everywhere, especially the tortillas make it memorable instead of OK. Thanks for the recipe!
jhjspecks
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhjspecks »

thanks Chris gonna have to try this one if Crystal will allow that to be cooked in the house after Jan 1.
RandallW20
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by RandallW20 »

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........I LOVE Carnitas.... :D

Randall
corkpopper
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by corkpopper »

Well, I know what Im eating tomorrow. :wink:
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

great recipie....I'm gunna fire up the kitchen this weekend.

Thanks,