Avet SX MC.. 2 speed?

5fangers

Avet SX MC.. 2 speed?

Post by 5fangers »

I'm getting geared up to do some BTB this summer and want a beefier small platform reel. I've read all I could about the SX line and it looks like a winner. I am really interested in the SX MC. For the fishing we do out here in the gulf, is the 2 speed necessary and good to have or is the single speed at 5.3:1 a good all around ratio for speed and cranking power? The reel will be used for jetty/surf fishing as well so it won't be dedicated to just BTB. I personally don't know anyone that owns one hence the questions.
I don't have a target species in mind. Basically anything that will take the bait and run. I'll do jigging, slip corks, bottom fish or whatever. I'm also a belt and suspenders kinda guy so extra features aren't a bad thing.

Thanks
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Avet SX MC.. 2 speed?

Post by Jolly Roger »

do not need a 2 speed for BTB. A 5.3:1 is about a perfect ratio, fast enough to keep up but still strong enough to pick up a big fish off the bottom.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I been using the SX single speed for about 4-5 years and like them so well, I now have 4 of them. They are perfect for btb. Very light(14 oz), handle up to 50 lb braid and 15-30 lb mono, 9 lb drag at strike and up to 14 lbs of drag at full................................all you need for a kayak for offshore fishing. They are little brute's

IMHO, you do not need the MC in either double or single speed, either.
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Thanks for chiming in guys. The reason I want the MC feature is for chunking bait when I surf fish on occasion. I know it's all technique but any safeguard against birds nesting is cool with me. I'm known to have brain farts.
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

A 2 speed may horse in a shark to quickly in yak. When a large shark gets to the yak and isn't tired it may going for a quick burst back down and behind you at a tight angle and put you in the water. Dont ask me how I know.....
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Yikes! Good point you have.
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Just an update.. I just ordered an SX MC single speed from Charkbait. I opted for the red color. I could have saved $30 for the "special" color by getting it on ebay but one dealer sold out of them. Oh well. I could have gone with blue with no up charge. Anyway.. :roll: I'll justify it by not blowing my cash on beer tonight.
I'm having it spooled with 50# Izorline and a 30# topshot of Momoi. Should be just fine.

All week long I've been bouncing back and forth between this reel and much more expensive ones. My rational side kicked in and said "this is good enough." I'll use the extra money I have now to buy another one later on.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

5fangers wrote:Just an update.. I just ordered an SX MC single speed from Charkbait. I opted for the red color. I could have saved $30 for the "special" color by getting it on ebay but one dealer sold out of them. Oh well. I could have gone with blue with no up charge. Anyway.. :roll: I'll justify it by not blowing my cash on beer tonight.
I'm having it spooled with 50# Izorline and a 30# topshot of Momoi. Should be just fine.

All week long I've been bouncing back and forth between this reel and much more expensive ones. My rational side kicked in and said "this is good enough." I'll use the extra money I have now to buy another one later on.
I did too! Can't wait.
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Jolly Roger wrote:do not need a 2 speed for BTB. A 5.3:1 is about a perfect ratio, fast enough to keep up but still strong enough to pick up a big fish off the bottom.
X2 on the above, and that's what I have.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Bucky gives um an enthusiastic thumbs up :wink:

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Jeffrey wrote:
5fangers wrote:Just an update.. I just ordered an SX MC single speed from Charkbait. I opted for the red color. I could have saved $30 for the "special" color by getting it on ebay but one dealer sold out of them. Oh well. I could have gone with blue with no up charge. Anyway.. :roll: I'll justify it by not blowing my cash on beer tonight.

I did too! Can't wait.

Mine is on back order! :cry:
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

What color and which vendor? Charkbait?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

5fangers wrote:What color and which vendor? Charkbait?

Blue from Charkbait.
aceshooter01

Post by aceshooter01 »

i have a few avets, but like jolly roger said, you don't need a two speed reel from a kayak. go with the single speed.