Suction Cup Rod Holder

G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Suction Cup Rod Holder

Post by G-Man »

Dilemma- Small station wagon, no roof rack...

Solution- Suction Cup Rod Holders.

Copied/updated from the world wide net...

Used suction (2)cup lifters for glass, 2'- 1/2" pvc pipe, 1/2" pvc elbows, 1/2" pvc T-fittings and bat grip.

Please comment good/bad, what else I could have done...

Thanks in advance.

G-Man
Attachments
IMGP0168 (2).jpg
IMGP0169 (2).jpg
IMGP0170 (2).jpg
J.McDonald Knives

Re: Suction Cup Rod Holder

Post by J.McDonald Knives »

Could have also use insulation tape, might have been cheaper. Great idea tho.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Not sure how much I would trust it at highway speeds, I'd rig some sort of safety leash just in case.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

RedWolf wrote:Not sure how much I would trust it at highway speeds, I'd rig some sort of safety leash just in case.
I would like some sort of leash as well. It's a great idea. If you ever head down the beach a ways or get onto a dusty road it may help to wrap your reels in plastic to keep the fine dirt particles out.

How did you secure the pipe to the suction cups? Is it glued?

I was wondering if you could have attached some kind of rod guide holder to back one. Like the foam kind you see on rod holders.
Something like this: Guide holder thingy

I like the idea. May use something similar on my skiff.
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

J.McDonald Knives wrote:Could have also use insulation tape, might have been cheaper. Great idea tho.
I did have the insulation tape at first but just didn't look good, functioned fine but just didn't really look good. Thank for the suggestion.
RedWolf wrote:Not sure how much I would trust it at highway speeds, I'd rig some sort of safety leash just in case.
Yup, kinda scared to take it out... Might have to put some garden tools and take it out for a run on the highway to see how well it holds up. :D

Will definitely leash it. Thanks.
Forever Fishing wrote:I would like some sort of leash as well. It's a great idea. If you ever head down the beach a ways or get onto a dusty road it may help to wrap your reels in plastic to keep the fine dirt particles out.

How did you secure the pipe to the suction cups? Is it glued?

I was wondering if you could have attached some kind of rod guide holder to back one. Like the foam kind you see on rod holders.
Something like this: Guide holder thingy

I like the idea. May use something similar on my skiff.
I will wrap my reels from the sand.

The PVC is secured to the suction cup with JB Weld and just for a little assurance, put some screws in.

I thought about your idea but looked like it would catch wind more... Might try it in the future though. Thanks.

G-Man
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Just a followup if any are interested... I made some trips to Texas City Dike numerous times with the setup and all I can say is it worked flawlessly. I've gotten to the point where I don't bungee the rods to the car anymore, just to the rod holders. The trick(as I do it) is use a damp rag and wipe the surface where I am gonna attach the suction cups on, it holds all day. Might be a different story when the weather and my hood gets hot from summer but is working great as of now. Thanks for all the advice guys.

G-Man