You fish offshore in a kayak? ...are you crazy???

Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

You fish offshore in a kayak? ...are you crazy???

Post by Living Waters »

Did you ever come across this question asked to you? I see more peeps doing btb fishing now more than ever. I would like to know why do you like to do BTB type of fishing from a kayak? is it because of the excitement of having bigger fish on the line? Is it the dangers of the sport? Is it because you love salt water fishing and like to experience all types of offshore fishing.. like fishing at rigs.. or just off the beach... etc..

Lets hear some of your feed backs manG!

Ill tell you why I like what I do.... here is the answer (because I have a lot of loose screws)... and I am just crazy like that.... I start enjoying life more now because of it,,... because of all the close calls I had with death, danger, and the un-known. Plus it keeps me sane from working in the city all week long. :) 8) There is something about the waters I have always loved since I was a child... it has a magical feeling about it.
FlounderPounder15

Re: You fish offshore in a kayak? ...are you crazy???

Post by FlounderPounder15 »

I do it for the love of fishing. I have done most every kind of fishing available in the area, but out of all those BTB gives me the greatest possibility to go and catch fish. I have fished marsh, bay, creek, river, beach, lake, fly fishing for 10 in. rainbow trout to catching 30 lb black drum in 6 in. of water a marsh to catching big sharks out btb. I just enjoy being out there and catching fish which this summer ended up being predominantly BTB which was a blast. After Sept. and into October all my fishing time will be for big flounder most likely. :roll:

Plain and Simple it is the Love/Passion to FISH! :D
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Heck, I do it because I love the ocean. Any day I can paddle in the GOM is a great day in my book. Catching fish is a bonus.
Sure don't mind the fishing though. Hmmmmm. Think I'll drive down to Surfside this weekend. Oh wait! The wife unit has already made the arrangements. Yippee!
toefu

Post by toefu »

btb fishing has a very different and fun aspect to it than other forms of fishing. Bay fishing is more active, more calm and peaceful. Fishing from a boat can get u some big fish on a more consistent basis.

BTB is great because catching large fish from a smallish vessel supplies a strange form of excitement. Catching a bull red from kayak to me is more gratifying than on a boat. You're closer to the water, closer to the craziness. It's also great because of the freedom. On boats, you share the boat, you can't move when you want to, it's a negotiated situation.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Living Waters wrote:Did you ever come across this question asked to you?
Good topic Daniel. I can't tell you how many times I've heard various versions of that question.

For most of my teenage years, and all of my adult life, I've been a surf fisherman and saltwater boater. I kind of find BTB fishing to be a cross between the two. Since I'm still old school, and paddle a Fish N Dive, my BTB fishing is limited to within a couple of miles of shore. In a way, that is an extension of my surf fishing, yet allows me to access more fish, and cover much more water than if I were on the shore. Likewise, it allows me the convenience and thrill of fishing from a boat, without the trouble and expense of owning a power boat. I joke with the power boaters I work with. I tell them they may be able to go farther, but my paddle has never run out of gas, or broken down and stranded me yet. And my fuel bill is sure a lot easier to swallow than theirs is. :lol:

Oh, and did I mention how much I enjoy being able to still fish when the seaweed is piled up a foot deep on the beach and still washing in hot and heavy?

The only time I haven't managed to learn to love BTB fishing is when it gets cold. I fish all year, but during the winter I'll stick to the beach, where I can at least move around and stay warm.

Lastly, I love the "up close and personal" aspect of catching big fish out of a kayak. I've always loved the fish I catch and I look each one in the eye and say thank you before I see them swim off. It don't get much better than that.
borneo
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by borneo »

For me ,it's also for the love of fishing. It's a gradual process, jumped strait from mostly bay/marsh fishing directly to offshore/boat fishing here in Texas, then back to btb on kayak :lol: . Done all freshwater fishing while I was living in Canada including ice fishing , I had a lot of fun, would love to do that again. And both fresh & salt water fishing while growing up in Borneo Island. I just started btb for the last 2 months, had lots of fun and excitement while trying to read and learn more about btb from veterans btbers :wink: Also ,participated my 1st Blue Water Classic in CC recently, haven't see that many kings being brought in at the same time ever before :lol: Epic scene :!:

Life is good when you can go fishing with your friends and do things with your family! Whooohoooo................ Let's go fishing :D :dance: :dance:
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

You are crazy sir. videos confirm it.

Simply because there's no limit...to how far, to how big, or how long, except the limits you put on yourself.

Ive always wanted to fish a little further. The "grass is always greener..." syndrome. As a dumb teenager I waded my way from Christmas bay, over to colds pass, and swam across to what i later found out was titlum tatlum directly across from the KOA. Through that stank mud and across currents that shouldnt have been tested. that was the first step. its just gone further and further from there.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Why I fish BTB:

1. For the rush................if you fish shallow waters and don't catch anything, you just had a paddle...........when you fish BTB and don't catch anything you usually still had an adventure.............I like adventure :D .
2. I like big things........big fish, big reels, big rods, big line, big hooks...big, big, big. I absolutely become so frustrated I want to quit when I use terminal tackle for slot fish or smaller.
3. I can't stand to cast over and over and over...........to cast 150 times to catch one fish is (IMHO) stupidity. Wasted effort.
4. I hate skinny water, mud, mosquitoes and the other things that go with non-BTB fishing
5. I find BTB fishermen more open, accepting and willing to share ideas and places to fish than other kayak fishermen.

If I had to fish bays and skinny water, I would sell all my kayaks and gear and to back to shooting bambi! :?
fishfever2

Post by fishfever2 »

I think we all do it specifically in a kayak probably because none of us own offshore boats (nor do we necessarily want to - I would rather my money in the bank) that could take us 100 + miles offshore to the danger zone, so we use kayaks and get the same thrill, I think mainly for us all its about the thrill, I also believe kayak fishing is primal, fishing at its not most basic level but basic. I compare kayak fishing to bow hunters, its just way more sport and more thrilling to kill a big buck with a bow than with a gun and scope. My two cents. Thanks
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

Crazy as a LOON!!!! I AM......
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

I want to catch BIG FISH so I can take cool photos with them. The I put the photos on my wall at work and have stories to tell coworkers about my exciting life outside my boring job.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

eclipse504 wrote:I want to catch BIG FISH so I can take cool photos with them. The I put the photos on my wall at work and have stories to tell coworkers about my exciting life outside my boring job.
Sounds about right :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377211997.854719.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377211997.854719.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Also for me is the adventure. I could strike out, but if there is a story to compensate then it's all good. "...ya I got skunked, but you should have seen that wave!"
That's another reason, I don't get skunked BTB. I can't buy a fish on the bay and freshwater (bass and cats) bores me. On my first BTB I caught 10+ gaftops over 24", four bull red 35"-40", and a six foot blacktip. I was hooked and could never look back.

Last year I did my first BWKC and tore both biceps in the process. It took my three hours to paddle back from the MP rigs! As I laid on the beach holding my arms I knew that I'd be back this year. Not only did I come back for more, but I caught my first kings, never even got a muscle twitch, and I turned around two weeks later and did the Matty rig!

So ya I do it for both- the adventure and the "shock and awe" because there is nothing like a good yak/shark story to get people to shut up about those ten crappie they caught from a bass boat last week :lol: ..... we use BAIT bigger than that! :lol:
Last edited by Boomy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Adventure. It is definitely about adventure. I like to think I have done some adventurous things in my time. I have climbed thousand foot vertical cliffs in Mexico, a non-standard route on the Grand Teton, and a 23 thousand foot mountain in Pakistan (Spantik) to name a few.

Heading off in to the watery blue yonder with just a paddle in my hand is no less intimidating or humbling. You rely mainly on yourself but you also trust a few comrades nearby.
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

I do it for adventure too. Everytime I go off on a BTB trip I feel like Froto Baggins embarking on a mystical journey to destroy the ring in Mordor lol.

I also enjoy the company out there too, good people having a good time, willing to help each other out for the most part. I like the fact everybody is on their own vessel and are free to do as they please. We ride out to our spots like a biker gang.

For me, it all boils down to feeling like a kid again playing in this big ol' playground we call the gulf. When I launch from the surf, I leave my repetitive "adult" life on the shore to have battle with sea creatures :D
redfin21

Post by redfin21 »

Wow! I want to be a part of the BTB group pretty bad. Have yet to experience my first BTB. Wish I had weekends off so I could join you guys some time. Right now it's just bays and lakes.
AlanC
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AlanC »

newbyaker wrote:Wow! I want to be a part of the BTB group pretty bad. Have yet to experience my first BTB. Wish I had weekends off so I could join you guys some time. Right now it's just bays and lakes.
Not to worry- you will make it out of the Kiddie pool soon enough- just remember your safety gear and always wear your PFD. Go out with an experienced group your first few trips. :mrgreen:
Chingadera

Post by Chingadera »

My BTB trip before the bwkc to the mp rigs a massive charter yacht passed by and the lady on it saw us on kayaks. I guess she was drunk and the captain was an ass and passed right by me. I could hear her say those people are crazy to be out here on a kayak. My thinking was your crazy for being on a boat that size and not heading out to bigger waters! There is danger on the water no matter what you are on. I do BTB for several reasons.

1. Bay fishing is over crowded and I can't stand it. The fish aren't as thick as they were when I was a child
2. BTB is good exercise
3. BTB is more relaxing and the fish are almost always biting and edible
4. It's cheap
5. You never know what you will see or catch
heyimtrying

Post by heyimtrying »

Well, I have never been btb....BUT what intrigued me to but my yak was so I COULD go just beyond the breakers. I wade fished and didnt want to risk going to the 3rd sand bar, I figured if I could kayak out there it would be awesome.

I will eventually make it out there with some of you guys, but only when I feel comfortable to do so :) and have plenty of you around lol.

With that being said, the reason (I want) to btb is the thrill, and the part of being out there with all the unknowns underneath waiting to bite my hook.
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

1. The friendships you gain.
2. The sound of the clicker.
3. The unknown.
4. I nap better on my kayak than on my expensive bed.

last but not least,
5. Wife loves catching big fish in plastic tupperware.

I'm fortunate to have a better half that can do rough camping plus fish. Wouldn't trade her for the world.
ElTiburon

Post by ElTiburon »

That was me... NOW I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
goodeyak

Post by goodeyak »

I am new to btb but have been yak fishing for a few years. I love the btb for all of the aforementioned reasons. Plus being a member of the senior citizens group it keeps me young (in my mind)! I still have a lot to learn and really benefit from this yak site! Y'all really provide great information for fishing and safety. Thanks to all of you! Hope to fish with some of you some day! :D
YAK'N AGGIE

Post by YAK'N AGGIE »

Man I've never fished the salt at all until this year. I had no idea what I was missing. Now that I've been out to those rigs, I just can't get excited about chasing bass in the lakes around here. A great day fishing here is like a mediocre day fishing BTB. And I've gotten really lucky so far and haven't even had a mediocre day fishing BTB. I've been to the rigs 4 times and just slayed 'em every time so far. Beginner's luck is a powerful thing. :lol:

I have GOT to move closer to the ocean. This 8 hour drive isn't cutting it.

...but I'll be back down for Labor Day. :lol: :horse:
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

I had a kayak and there was water. Simple as that. When I first started fishing in the plastic navy I was going anywhere and everywhere there was water. BTB was no different. Never thought of it as dangerous or me as crazy for doing it. Just that it was peaceful and I liked it 8)
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

"When you paddle offshore you never ever know what's in store"
Razzorduck circa 2008

Guess that about sums it up :D
erbalux

Post by erbalux »

i get this question every time... i like btb cuz freedom, cost, fishing partners, adventure, big fish small vessel, exercise, discipline, memories, pictures, good healthy and very fresh food, the sound of a reel is better in a kayak, free ride 1 fish power, all my problems stay on land, bad day of fishing is better then good day of work, i am not crazy, crazy are those who do not like btb in a kayak...