ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

Post by richg99 »

Perhaps a demo day, ....even using the fiberglass version.... would prep the troops for the eventual release of the rotomolded boat.

richg99
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

richg99 wrote:Perhaps a demo day, ....even using the fiberglass version.... would prep the troops for the eventual release of the rotomolded boat.

richg99
Yes! I tried reaching out to Forever Fishing to demo his Solo Skiff. Havent heard back yet.
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

tw1nny03 wrote:Gear tracks along the left and right side of the SK would be a great idea. You can mount rod holders and paddle holders on the gear tracks.

I agree - they are easily added hardware. There are a lot of items that can be added. If your wondering why we elected to keep it on the simple side its due to the design. Like said it is easy to add tracks or any other piece of hardware to the skiff especially given the design of the the cockpit gunnels, front and rear... so instead of putting it where we want it... we left it to the customers...yes you could argue it may cost a lilk to put a mount on but better to have the type of hardware YOU like, as well as WHERE you like it than simply putting hardware on the skiff just to say we did... Sure Some things will evolve im sure but for now we are VERY happy with the new Solo, and hope its many owners will be as well. :D

Tom
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

tw1nny03 wrote:
richg99 wrote:Perhaps a demo day, ....even using the fiberglass version.... would prep the troops for the eventual release of the rotomolded boat.

richg99
Yes! I tried reaching out to Forever Fishing to demo his Solo Skiff. Havent heard back yet.

We will have retailers there soon, and as soon as we do we will co-sponsor some demo days as well.
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Is the rumor true that there may be a mount to run a bow-mounted trolling motor on the Solo Skiff?
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

tw1nny03 wrote:Is the rumor true that there may be a mount to run a bow-mounted trolling motor on the Solo Skiff?
We have tested a mount to allow use of a small trolling motor on the front... where we are going with it is still to be decided.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

My biggest concern woukd be how easy it is to pole with the wind coming from different directions, especially in the mud.
Gr8_Outdoorsman

Post by Gr8_Outdoorsman »

Ive been thinking of getting a Hobie PA, but I may hold off for a bit to see how this guy performs
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

I'm no expert by any means, but the only real perk I see to the sk over a kayak, at least with my fishing style, is distance and speed. Sure I can slap a trolling motor on my yak (and I did) to get to some spots further out, but its no faster than a fast paddle and there's still a whole lot of fishy areas I'd like to hit but it's not practical due to the amount of time/effort it'd take to get there. Would love to try one out though, they look pretty slick
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

IndyKid wrote:I'm no expert by any means, but the only real perk I see to the sk over a kayak, at least with my fishing style, is distance and speed. Sure I can slap a trolling motor on my yak (and I did) to get to some spots further out, but its no faster than a fast paddle and there's still a whole lot of fishy areas I'd like to hit but it's not practical due to the amount of time/effort it'd take to get there. Would love to try one out though, they look pretty slick
In my mind the advantage to a trolling motor is not so much in covering more water but in being able to quietly reposition yourself while fishing.
Gr8_Outdoorsman

IndyKid wrote:I'm no expert by any means, but the only real perk I see to the sk over a kayak, at least with my fishing style, is distance and speed. Sure I can slap a trolling motor on my yak (and I did) to get to some spots further out, but its no faster than a fast paddle and there's still a whole lot of fishy areas I'd like to hit but it's not practical due to the amount of time/effort it'd take to get there. Would love to try one out though, they look pretty slick
The distance is a biggie for me, but being in a higher seated/standing position is another real big benefit. I just never really liked sitting with my rear at water level while casting. Sure I had yaks that I could stand in, but not with the stability I would have preferred. These perks, plus having arthritis in my shoulder from a prior football injury, makes a motorized craft more appealing.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

SKIFFGUY wrote:
mmikle wrote:thats an awesome kayak
Someone mentioned above - molding in a scupper for an anchor pin... great on a yak, but on a yak that can go up to 18mph not so good...why ? The scupper because of water force will spray water in a rooster tail all over... This was an option I considered but checked off the list due to this potential nightmare...

The boats design allows you to reach in through the hatch and thru bolt hardware in any spot you can reach... you guys be surprised how easy it is to access the hull... I through bolted on the grabrail.... its all the way in the rear... lol it wasnt easy but I did it..see the pic, theres a LOT of room in the hull to reach into / store things...a LOT more than it looks

this makes sense and I hadn't thought of that ..... OK then maybe just a 3-4" piece of 1" pvc mounted high on the back sides of the solo or high on the transom where it doesn't come in contact with water? I am sure there is a way that will work .. would just be nicer if it was incorporated into the hull design .......... I need to go back to work as I am starting to really consider one myself :wink:
Last edited by TDD on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshay4

Post by pshay4 »

I too, wanted to be able to stand and sight cast. I'm working on my fly casting and I don't have the best balance, and have never stood in my Ride 135. I walk all over the Solo. I step up on it after floating it off the trailer. Super stability. I recently purchased suction cup mounts for rod holders and accessories. I don't want to drill until I'm absolutely sure of placement. I have two Solos, if anyone gets down this way, we could work out a test drive.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

from the picture it looks like the roto model's inside bow has a different layout than the fiberglass model ... curious as to it's actual configuration. Most of the time it's just me and the solo should work fine ... I should also consider a slightly larger skiff designed for two just in case. I think one of the most important factors in the success of this roto solo skiff is keeping the cost down enough to eat away at the upper end heaver fishing yaks of today like the Hobies and they seem to be doing this well so far.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Poss dupe.

As far as TM and Stick- anchor mounts, a guy on Gheenoe forum was making them out of PVC. They looked good.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

SKIFFGUY wrote:Imagine the water at this speed hitting a scupper hole and forcing its way up... hence the decision not to mold in an anchor pin...

VIDEO LINK :

http://youtu.be/f8apRRYvY0g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the interior length, width, and depth of the molded in cooler in the bow?

what is the maximum length and width cooler that can be strapped down in front of the motor at the aft end of the boat?
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

As I get older, I am considering going this route! It can take me places I can't paddle to and I am not spending all of my energy paddling!
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

The more I read, the more I want!!!
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

What is the interior length, width, and depth of the molded in cooler in the bow?

what is the maximum length and width cooler that can be strapped down in front of the motor at the aft end of the boat?

Area in front of motor is 10.5" X 25"

Cooler is basically 20" x 10 center measurements..but tapers to bottom....
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

SKIFFGUY wrote:

I know you do your best, but could the molded in cooler be made just a little larger?

A slot redfish in Texas is 20" to 28", and the limit is 3 fish. Imagine how large of a cooler you would want for a 20 pound bag of ice, a limit of reds, and a couple of trout.

The ice chest in front of the motor would be for my own drinking water and doesn't need to be very big.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Jeffrey wrote:
SKIFFGUY wrote:

I know you do your best, but could the molded in cooler be made just a little larger?

A slot redfish in Texas is 20" to 28", and the limit is 3 fish. Imagine how large of a cooler you would want for a 20 pound bag of ice, a limit of reds, and a couple of trout.

The ice chest in front of the motor would be for my own drinking water and doesn't need to be very big.

Yep ... sure seems like 8-10" more taken out of the bow giving us a 28-30" long fish cooler would be way more useful .... certainly easier to play armchair .. :wink:
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

TD wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
SKIFFGUY wrote:

Yep ... sure seems like 8-10" more taken out of the bow giving us a 28-30" long fish cooler would be way more useful .... certainly easier to play armchair .. :wink:
You mean armchair quarterback? Yeah, I guess.

But to be honest, that is pretty close to a deal breaker. A fishing machine with no place to keep fish is hard to justify.
Gr8_Outdoorsman

Jeffrey wrote:
TD wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

You mean armchair quarterback? Yeah, I guess.

But to be honest, that is pretty close to a deal breaker. A fishing machine with no place to keep fish is hard to justify.
Where do you keep fish in any other yak?

Soft sided coolers are the way to go IMO. Hold ice longer, easy to clean, easily replaceable and easy to store
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Jeffrey wrote: But to be honest, that is pretty close to a deal breaker. A fishing machine with no place to keep fish is hard to justify.
First let's see you catch a limit Jeffrey then we'll worry about how they'll fit in your Solo Skiff ice chest! :lol:

OK just kidding man. 8)

It's rare I keep fish but on the occasion that I do it looks like I could fit a limit of reds in there with some ice but, to say it has no place to keep fish is overstating. Plus it looks like a great live well (rarely use live bait either). I'm more curious to see how the skiff handles with that extra 5 gallons of water in the well and how long is ice going to last in there?

Dear Tom,

Please send demo boat to Houston.

Thanks!
Last edited by Forever Fishing on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Forever Fishing wrote:
Jeffrey wrote: But to be honest, that is pretty close to a deal breaker. A fishing machine with no place to keep fish is hard to justify.
First let's see you catch a limit Jeffrey then we'll worry about how they'll fit in your Solo Skiff ice chest! :lol:

OK just kidding man. 8)

It's rare I keep fish but on the occasion that I do it looks like I could fit a limit of reds in there with some ice but, to say it has no place to keep fish is overstating. Plus it looks like a great live well (rarely use live bait either). I'm more curious to see how the skiff handles with that extra 5 gallons of water in the well and how long is ice going to last in their?

Dear Tom,

Please send demo boat to Houston.

Thanks!
I think 20 pounds of ice would be more like 2.4 gallons of water.

You mean how long the ice is going to last in there.

I understand you could compare it to how you are going to keep fish on a kayak, but this isn't a kayak. It is a Solo Skiff.