Slayer Propel 10?

bug-e

Slayer Propel 10?

Post by bug-e »

Do any of you guys own this boat or have any experience with it? There are relatively few reviews online.
michang5

Re: Slayer Propel 10?

Post by michang5 »

I own one and love it. What would you like to know?
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

Last edited by eclipse504 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
michang5

Post by michang5 »

Thank you. I do not fish the salt. I would definitely do some research on how the Propel Drive would handle it. I've seen some negative reviews in the past, but it seems like many of the issues have been resolved.

http://nativeownersgroup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good source of info.

I can try to answer any other questions.
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

I briefly looked at the Propel 10 but I'm just not sold on the drive. The removal of the drive just seems too much of a process to quickly take out say when rapidly approaching shallow water (worse case scenario). The drive also seems to be in the way in front of you while fishing really skinny water. I like my work space to be clutter free.
michang5

Post by michang5 »

Taking out the drive is fairly easy.

There is one locking bracket that takes a second to flip. However, I seldom lock it because without it, the Propel has some give if you hit something shallow.

There is a cover/cup holder that has two bungees that lock into four clips. You don't have to lock this piece down either.

The biggest issue and time suck is getting the prop blade in a vertical position to lift the Drive up. I won't lie, this is one of the biggest annoyances -- especially if there is grass wrapped around the prop.

That said, I don't fish fast moving water, so I've yet to have a "gotta take out the Propel NOW!!" moment.

Lastly, the front deck is divided up because of the drive. It isn't open and flat like a Diablo. Doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would annoy some.
bug-e

Post by bug-e »

Thanks Michang. Somehow I missed your posts in May. Do you car top your kayak? If so, how is that going? Have you had any issues with durability? Some early user reviews commented on easy scratching and wear. Reviewers thought the plastic was thinner than the slayer 13.
bug-e

Post by bug-e »

Beautiful boat by the way. Like the setup a lot. Did you mount the fish finder yourself?
michang5

Slayer Propel 10?

Post by michang5 »

Bug-e, here are a few answers:

- Yes, I cartop the S10 on my Prius. I have Whispbars installed, but any rack would work. I just have the ACK bar covers, no need for rollers or saddles. It is super easy (and tons easier than my old beast of a Mariner 12.5). I lay down a moving blanket across my rear hatch, place a towel under the rear of the yak (to prevent scratching), lift the front and rest it on the hatch, then lift the rear, and push across the bars. I secure it with cam straps and bow/stern ties. The whole process takes me 5-10 minutes.

- No issues with durability, but I baby my stuff. I try not to drag it on concrete. I wash it fairly regularly. There are definitely scratches on it, but expect to keep the boat for a long time.

- The plastic is definitely thinner and softer than the Mariner I owned for a year. That said, I posted a few thoughts on the Native Owners Group forum about seeing tournament guys that are very hard on their boats wear down the keels and bottoms of a Mariner and Slayer. And I've seen a one-year-old Ride look pretty beat up, as well. A plastic boat is gonna wear down; it's up to the owner to slow the process.

- The fish finder cable -- along with the lights -- were installed by Dez Davis of Supernova Fishing Lights. The only extra thing he needed was a $17 Hobie Thru-Hull Wiring Kit. I probably could have done it (I soldered the disconnected wiring on my Mariner), but it was money well spent to have a pro do the install. I bought the Ram mounts (for FF and transducer) and track adapters from various sources.

Hope this helps.
gssterl

Post by gssterl »