I wish I'd have taken some pictures at San Luis Pass....

5x5

Re: I wish I'd have taken some pictures at San Luis Pass....

Post by 5x5 »

thinshavings wrote:I just started fishing the salt after purchasing a yak in late in 2014.
I was "stunned" at all the trash left behind on the beach and the launches at Drum Bay.
I lived in the Dallas area for 14 years before moving to the Houston area in 2001, the Dallas area is light years cleaner than the Houston area.
I never saw the amount of litter and trash along the Dallas highways that I see along Houston's.
How do you explain this?
Dallas is not near the size of Houston and it is not a port city with the traffic we have. And we are the first major destination for illegals who do not even know how to use flush toilets nor dispose of dirty diapers.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

5x5 wrote:
GoDoe wrote:I have a proposed solution. There needs to be a fee for an access sticker to any public beach/property. That will keep most of the trashy people off the property and then the money from the fees can be used to maintain the area.

The trashy minority ruin it for the clean majority.

You ought to see the beach on both sides of 361 outside of Aransas Pass after the 4th of July. It is so bad it hurts.

Just one out-of-staters perception,

John
BS, we have fought for decades to keep our beaches open , we do not want to end up like California.
Have you been to Matagorda Beach or parts of Surfside Beach. You have to have a permit. It's already happened.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Open and free access..............you can see what you are getting. If you think it will get better without some kind of action then you are just fooling yourself. I would gladly pay a yearly permit fee to access the beach and see it kept clean and free or litter and trash (the kind that drives their car or truck to the beach.) I also think a controlled area with an access fee would cut way down on thieves.

Again, just one man's opinion but there is no arguing that something needs to be done................

I personally have come back to the launch and paid some kids there at the beach with their familys $20 to pick up trash. I had 4 Walmart sacks in my truck. I told them they could split the $20 if each of them would pick up a sack full of trash. Their parents said that was fine. I also told those kids now that they had cleaned it up it was up to them to make sure nobody littered again while they were there.

No seeds will ever grow unless we plant them.........................
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Back when I was frequently fishing the beaches south of Corpus (including the National Seashore), my fishing buddy and I were both ardent trash haters.
While cruising the beach looking for bait fish in the surf, we often came upon a campsite that was being trashed. We generally stopped, got out of our vehicle with trash bags and began, without a word, picking up their litter.

Some folks yelled at us to get the ***** away from their camp site. We ignored them and kept on filling our trash bags. Never had any physical confrontations, as my fishing partner (a truly gentle soul) was a very large mean looking weight lifter. It was interesting how many times the campers began to get off of their chairs and out of their tents to help us clean up their mess. A few even apologized to us.
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

GoDoe wrote:Open and free access..............you can see what you are getting. If you think it will get better without some kind of action then you are just fooling yourself. I would gladly pay a yearly permit fee to access the beach and see it kept clean and free or litter and trash (the kind that drives their car or truck to the beach.) I also think a controlled area with an access fee would cut way down on thieves.

Again, just one man's opinion but there is no arguing that something needs to be done................

I personally have come back to the launch and paid some kids there at the beach with their familys $20 to pick up trash. I had 4 Walmart sacks in my truck. I told them they could split the $20 if each of them would pick up a sack full of trash. Their parents said that was fine. I also told those kids now that they had cleaned it up it was up to them to make sure nobody littered again while they were there.

No seeds will ever grow unless we plant them.........................
I guess a good start would be to charge out of staters a heafty permit fee to keep them away from our great state. :horse:

I assume you do not paddle your kayak from Oklahoma , You drive it to the beach in your truck .

The last thing we need is some elitists determining who has the right to go to the beach.
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

Ultrastealth wrote:
5x5 wrote:
GoDoe wrote:I have a proposed solution. There needs to be a fee for an access sticker to any public beach/property. That will keep most of the trashy people off the property and then the money from the fees can be used to maintain the area.

The trashy minority ruin it for the clean majority.

You ought to see the beach on both sides of 361 outside of Aransas Pass after the 4th of July. It is so bad it hurts.

Just one out-of-staters perception,

John
BS, we have fought for decades to keep our beaches open , we do not want to end up like California.
Have you been to Matagorda Beach or parts of Surfside Beach. You have to have a permit. It's already happened.
No, it has not but those same developers who want to limit our access so that their clients have private beaches without having to look at us.

a $10 beach driving permit is not the same.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

5 X 5

What kind of solution for improvement of your beaches do you have in mind?
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

GoDoe wrote:5 X 5

What kind of solution for improvement of your beaches do you have in mind?
Like I said, start by charging out of staters a huge fee since they seem to be willing to pay it.

Next, prevent anyone who moves to our great state from proposing any rules and regulations that are similar to the place they just fled.

You really do not know how it was in the past nor the natural tidal patterns that wash up trash on the beach.

But imposing a tax on me and my family is un-acceptable just to make you feel good.

If you see someone littering , call them out. If they are being unsafe, call the cops. The cops love writing tickets down there since it is their main form of income for the community police force.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Yep, I got it! That should fix it :clap: