help on local area camping

Redfish529

help on local area camping

Post by Redfish529 »

Well the wife and kiddo want to go camping this weekend and it appears all the state parks are booked. Can anyone suggest a private campground we can go to. Generally looking w/in an hour of Austin. We are pitching a tent. May take the yak along but water isn't a must. Thanks in advance.

Rick
YaknAustin
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: help on local area camping

Post by YaknAustin »

Redfish529 wrote:Well the wife and kiddo want to go camping this weekend and it appears all the state parks are booked. Can anyone suggest a private campground we can go to. Generally looking w/in an hour of Austin. We are pitching a tent. May take the yak along but water isn't a must. Thanks in advance.

Rick
Granger Lake is a nice place. It's a Corps of Engineer Park.
cjcalls

Post by cjcalls »

Ericsson

Post by Ericsson »

Rick,

I'd recommend looking into Muleshoe Bend, which is an LCRA park on Lake Travis.

http://www.lcra.org/parks/recreation_ar ... eshoe.html

I camped out with my 2.5 year old a couple weeks ago and we had a good time. I didn't take the kayak, but camped down (waaaay down...due to lack of rain) next to the lake so we could bank fish and stay busy throwing rocks into the water and playing in mud, etc. Had deer walking all around us at dusk and heard a couple packs of coyotes across the lake and a local owl late night. It is primitave camping though. If you bring the kayak, there is plenty of fishy water there to explore.

Whatever you do...have fun!
Redfish529

Post by Redfish529 »

Thanks for the advice. I told the wife tkf was better than google when you need info. I was given a suggestion for Lake Wood near Gonzalez a GBRA lake. I think we might try it out. And go hike and explore Palmetto State park nearby. Thanks againg for the suggestions.

Rick
catdaddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by catdaddy »

the camp sites up at lake Georgetown are nice and your still close enough to civilzation to service small kids etc..
fishing can be tough but rewarding..

just another one to add to your list next time your looking