Post by awoodman »

A build job for someone?
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New Project

Post by bowgarguide »

This boat is for me.
I tore my shoulder up a month ago so need something different to fish from while it heals. I have had a few ideals about a boat like this for awhile so this is my chop change try boat.
First it will be foam.
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Here we go! More outside the box stuff :D I already like it!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Neon
I have always ben sort of weird in doing things outside that box but we are going to have fun doing it :dance:
Ron
PS bought 6 sheets of 1 inch foam today ,will start cutting tonight
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I will have some pics tomorrow.
Little explanation on what I am building. I like to bowfish and the yaks arent the best for that but they do let me access places a regular boat cant. like hauling down a river bank.
And then I hurt my shoulder again,riding them bulls was a fun deal when I was 20, not so good in places now so I need a boat to rehab in.
I need light ,stable , portable,ability to stand up and shot a bow.
Here is what I have come up with so far 12 ft long pontoon boat 65 inches wide.
Each pontoon will be 2 ft wide 12 ft long 5 inches thick ,laid up from 1 inch foam laminated together.
The hulls will be detachable and hopefully be able to paddle separately. They will also be built with the option of covering in cloth like a skin on frame,or epoxy and cloth and will have wood strips inset in the foam so if I decide to I can come back and strip the hull with cedar strips.
One hull will be laid out enough tomorrow to go do a float test.
Ron
Texmullet

Post by Texmullet »

This is going to be interesting......thanks for posting!
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Here's a smaller version that is very cool.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... n_kickboat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

Is this what your thinking of?

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/2908225863.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

You will sit up out of the water ,it want be a kick boat.
Closer to the last boat .
I run the brazos most of the time so I need a low profile for the wind.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I am having fun with this build.
These are not real good pics but they will get us started.
From the nose

Side view of the nose

Mounting plates for cross member's to bolt to
There are plates set in the bottom of the hull in matching locations

Pic of all three plates mounted.

There will be bolts run from bottom plates up through the top ones then mounts for the cross bars will be mounted.
All for now
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

You are out of control with your boat building! I like it! The camo is cool. I cant wait to see this thing finished.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

The second pontoon is glued up

used a router to cut foam for wood inserts,pic of the bow before shaping

and after shaping.

Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Both hulls are covered and close to finished ,I weighed them 27 lbs each .

Laid them out a bought the way they are going to be.

I am hoping you can paddle each hull individually.

Blends in with the grass pretty well just might be a hunting boat lol.

I will start figuring out cross bars and mounts, boat assembled should come in at about 70 lbs
but will break down into three pieces.
Ron
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Defiantly big enough for a trolling motor....
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I figure there are several ways to rig it for propulsion,trolling motor, set of oars, long kayak touring paddle,or long paddles like they use on the boards.
Ron
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Ron...when I sold my water scamp this year on craigslist I had so manny people interested I pondered making one frome wood..or...foam or something....
tn_PIC_1057.JPG
tn_PIC_1057.JPG (38.67 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
Urban Fisher

Post by Urban Fisher »

Hey All,

New member here. I have been a lurker for awhile but this post convinced me to join. But I got to admit...who came up with that confirmation question? How the heck does your average guy know what that light house was named after? Even after Googling it and several attempts I finally got the right answer.

But anyway I too am a hobby boat builder. However I build mainly practical boats vs. lookers like I see here. So mine are rather plain and ugly, but they are built strictly for my needs (mainly portability, low cost and ease of use).

I was recently a winner of a boat design contest at Ken Simpson's site (my name is Harold Krause). As a winner, Mr. Simpson will write up full detail plans about the boat I had in mind. We have been collaborating back and forth as he is writing up the plans. So far what he came up with is pretty amazing to me (of course it is, it's my idea...LOL).

But awoodman, the boat we are developing is almost exactly what you are asking about. It's a cool little boat that is very similar to a bass buster type boat you posted a picture of (made of wood). However one cool thing is that it also converts to a SOT type kayak very similar to a Wavewalker. Mr. Simpson's specialty in boats is portability. So this design will not only make for a nice stable stand-and-fish boat, a very capable kayak but it will also fold down into a 2'x2'x4' package. So it will fit in almost any car, suv or small truck without the need for racks or trailers of any kind. Sorry I can't show details right now as we are still working on the final designing, but if you bear with us, I think we may have a boat that you would be interested in.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

If you build it post up here with plenty of pics.
Ron
Urban Fisher

Post by Urban Fisher »

Well it looks like Mr. Simpson is getting the final layouts of my boat idea worked out. The link below will give you a better idea of what we came up with.

The main goal of the boat was something simple, cheap and easy to build, stable for stand up fishing and portable. The two hulls fold onto themselves once the decks are removed for portability. It should be able to handle about a 4 hp engine and you could add a trolling motor to the front. Since it is an open deck, there are many options that the builder/user can do for seating. You can also add a small rope ladder to the front deck (between the hulls) for snorkeling and swimming fun. Over all it's kinda like a portable (and low cost) bass buster type boat.

Not shown (but described in the plans) is another version where you use the same hulls, just make a narrower deck. Then it becomes like a double hull SOT kayak for paddling and smaller waters. So far I am very happy and super impressed with Mr. Simpson's ability to take some written words and create a workable concept of a neat little fishing boat. He is not fully done with the plans yet, but from what I can tell, anyone should be able to build and afford this little boat!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Maybe we can get this thread going again :lol:
Did some serious thinking about this boat and how I am going to use it. It is going to be dragged across gravel and sand bars , bounce off rocks in the Brazos pulled up boat ramps.
I decided to cover the bottom and both ends with strips

I figure no one will see the bottom so I just used a lot of strips I had left over from other builds.

The sides and top are still camo.
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Cant wait to see this one completed. Looking good! Should be a great fishing rig. The stripped bottom looks great! Its the first thing the fish will see when your reeling them in :D
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

That's going to be a real interesting boat there Ron! Sounds like the overall weight isn't so much the target, as the ability to transport it in pieces?

How is your shoulder healing? Is it going to be a long slow process, so that's why you wanted a lighter boat? Or was that just an excuse :) to build another boat?
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Rod
I have wanted to build a boat like this for awhile ,the shoulder gave me the excuse.
Shoulder s getting better ,I can paddle slow and easy but not put out to much ,and you know where I fish isnt easy paddling.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Cross braces installed

Want be long before she sinks or swims.

Ron