7 mile "Texas Sleigh Ride"???

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

7 mile "Texas Sleigh Ride"???

Post by Mythman »

So last night on the channel 2 news they do this report about a kayaker who took a 7 mile "Texas Sleigh Ride" being pulled by a 9' blacktip. They said his name but I can't remember it. Said he finally cut the line.................and one of the broadcasters wondered why it took him 7 miles to reach that decision................me too! :roll:

I couldn't find the report on Click 2 Houston today, but did find this brief report from a Galveston newpaper:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/news/ ... 0f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: 7 mile "Texas Sleigh Ride"???

Post by Milkjug »

Just like the newbs who report yakking in "6 foot" seas when all there were that day were maybe 2-3's, exaggerations can happen when the adrenaline is flowing.
alwaysinshorts

Post by alwaysinshorts »

Total BS. A 6foot shark doesn't have enough energy to a ride that long. I would says most fish if not all under 8 foot can't pull you longer than half a mile and even that I am giving that the benefit
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Well the same thing crossed my mind when I saw the report.................7 miles????

I did have a 5-6 ft. spinner pull me 2 miles, one time, but he was foul hooked in the lateral fin. But he did pull me and 3 kayakers tied on sideways behind me and a drift sock for a mile. I thought that was something.
ElTiburon

Post by ElTiburon »

9' BT?! You gotta hang on to that! World Record shattererrrrrr... :lol:
YAK'N AGGIE

Post by YAK'N AGGIE »

alwaysinshorts wrote:Total BS. A 6foot shark doesn't have enough energy to a ride that long. I would says most fish if not all under 8 foot can't pull you longer than half a mile and even that I am giving that the benefit
Well he said it was 9 foot..

But I think therein lies the "BS". A 9 foot blacktip? Something tells me a 6-7' shark towed a guy a mile and he just sucks at estimating. :lol:
MulletOver

Post by MulletOver »

dragging his kayak along a beach about 7 miles west from where he said he hooked a 9-foot blacktip shark
What on earth made him think it would be easier to drag his kayak than it would be to say um... just paddle back? I have drug a few kayaks, and it kinda sucks.

Maybe he should have just put out more bait and hoped for a 10 foot redfish to drag him back over. :roll:
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

2 red flags pop to mind.

1)9' blacktip means 4'
2)7 mile sleigh ride means < 1 mile

Adrenaline rush and the chance to be in the news=mass exaggeration.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Has anyone seen the video on youtube where a yakker hooks up with what he guessed to be a 400lb bft. Thing pulled him an est 15 miles.
TheBert

Post by TheBert »

Maybe it was a Great White... :D
bigwalt

Post by bigwalt »

People will do anything to be on the news these days. Surely he has to think in the back of his mind that people aren't going to believe this.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Here is a better (more details) write up on this adventure:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 7#p1956897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

MulletOver wrote:
dragging his kayak along a beach about 7 miles west from where he said he hooked a 9-foot blacktip shark
What on earth made him think it would be easier to drag his kayak than it would be to say um... just paddle back? I have drug a few kayaks, and it kinda sucks.

Maybe he should have just put out more bait and hoped for a 10 foot redfish to drag him back over. :roll:

Funny Funny Funny :lol:
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I guess a 9ft shark could drag you that far with a strong current if you didn't put much pressure on it and if it decided to only swim in one direction :cat:
alwaysinshorts

Post by alwaysinshorts »

I just read it. I still think it is BS. I have caught a lot of big fish and a 7mile ride it just not something that I believe most sharks aren't made for that type of fight. The only ones that I think could pull you a long distance would be a mako or a white shark. Other types of sharks just don't have the endurance.

No if you told me you caught a large 100lbs wahoo or a 100plus pound yellowfin I might believe that since those fish are made for speed which generally mean they have great endurance.

And as everyone said a 9foot blacktip is even more unbelievable.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I don't know why everyone's being so hard on the guy and calling him out like you are. Of course the size is exaggerated, he's a fisherman. :lol: :lol:
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Exaggeration happens. With the help of a brisk wind and a ripping current, I once had a big BT pull me about two miles. I know how far it was because I started at Sun Oil and ended up at Rollover.

However, paddling back against that same wind and current, I would have sworn I paddled 10 miles. :lol: At least I got to fight the fish for my trouble. Jolly Roger followed me, and had to paddle back all that way, just to take pictures.
Newf88

Post by Newf88 »

KHOU says he went 4 miles, then tied the shark to the back of his kayak to try to keep and get mounted.

I think the scariest part was that he did it in a Pelican kayak :shock:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Shark-dr ... 39241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Newf88 wrote:KHOU says he went 4 miles, then tied the shark to the back of his kayak to try to keep and get mounted.

I think the scariest part was that he did it in a Pelican kayak :shock:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Shark-dr ... 39241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the report I saw. They showed his grossly under-equipped kayak and I thought, WTF was he even doing out there in that without a buddy?
sheriff_john

Post by sheriff_john »

Glad he got home safe. :D

I guess Darwin had the day off. :wink:
Reelgame

Post by Reelgame »

Moby dick comes to mind lol. Not inferring its fiction lol
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Alsatian wrote:I don't know why everyone's being so hard on the guy and calling him out like you are. Of course the size is exaggerated, he's a fisherman. :lol: :lol:

My thoughts exactly, Alsatian. I chuckled when I read the story...we're all cut from similar cloth, here, brothers. :)
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Hey Mike,

Remember that time when the 5-6ft Spinner pulled you, me with a drift chute, and 2 other kayakers almost 2 miles?
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

makes you wonder if maybe the reporter who wrote the story may have made a mistake or two when he wrote the story. He did mention that he was drug "across the bay", and I'm just guessin he caught it in the gulf.
justinn

Post by justinn »

Maybe he drifted most of the day not realizing where he was at then by the time he made it back to shore it was 7 miles from his launch? ooooor just another fish story lol