Pecos River Adventure 2013

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Pecos River Adventure 2013

Post by Aggroman »

Hey guys,

Just got back from one awesome trip to the Pecos. I posted it in the camp section as well, or the link at least. Man, I had a major problem trying to transfer the trip report over from my blog, so I said to heck with it and just put up the link. I hate to do it, but that was a ton of photos. I don't have a problem doing it over here tho. :D

http://www.scentofafisherman.com/2013/1 ... -2013.html

It was by far the best father/son trip we have ever had. It was tough beyond words at some points, but the memories we took home will last forever. So, I hope you can go check out the report and enjoy it.

Here are a few of the pics.....

Oh, and a quick note....I can travel the world and still can't get away from someone who knows you Bill. We were on the Fate Bell Tour at Seminole Canyon and this lady was talking about this and that and said she used to be Austin PD. And I said, hey I know a guy. She laughed when I said your name and said you were a crazy and funny guy Billy. I'm struggling with her last name...it was Lori Hardwick? Hartwich? She said she worked the same "crap" section you did (her wording). Anyway Bill, she says Hi.

Have Fun,
Scott
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Pecos River Adventure 2013

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Hey, Lori is awesome peeps!!!!!!!!! She knew me back during my crazy days... Lori Hardage....

She was dispatched to back me up on a family disturbance one night. I get there and the front door is kicked in. Middle of the night, east side house, everyone in the sector was busy so Lori was a few minutes away. I see the guy and his wife going at it and I go in, grab the guy and wrap him and take him down. Then his stupid wife decided to try and whoop my ass. Then their 14 year old daughter decided to hit me over the head with an end table. I keyed up my radio and said, "Step it up". Meanwhile, hell is descending down on me. I handcuff the guy as the wife is hitting me. I've got him face down on the floor so I stand up, put my foot on the back of his neck and grab his pissed off, cussing at me in Spanish wife and handcuff her as the daughter decides to try and zombie bite my forearm. I get the woman handcuffed and throw her on the floor. I grab the 14 year old girl and decide the best place for all 4 of us is on the floor. I drop straight down on top of the man, pull the woman over to us, grab the kid by the neck and jerk her face down on the floor while she flailing away. I didn't want any officers getting in a wreck rushing to my location so I keyed up my radio and said, "It's Code 4 (all is ok), just keep one backup coming." Lori arrives about 2 minutes later, sees all of us on the living room floor, and says, "So, this is what you call Code 4? You think everything is in control?"

"Yes. Now help me get these a-holes to jail."

She was also there at 11th Street/Olive street when I was chasing a crack dealer over fences, through yards and trying not to get bitten by family dogs. He goes over a 6' chain link fence and I am about 20' behind him. I go over the fence, land awkwardly and keep running. He runs in a storage shed and as he turns around to hide, he realizes that he didn't lose me. I hit him at about 100 mph with a flying shoulder. I was 240 lbs with 7% body fat back then and used to compete in the Police Olympics (special division :lol: ).... Anyway, when I hit him, we both flew to the back of the storage shed and knocked out a few panels of wood. I drug him out and Duane, Lori and Tim were there. We got him handcuffed (he cough-cough resisted) and when I went to walk him to a patrol car, I realized my leg wasn't working right.

I had torn the ACL in my right knee when I went over that chain link fence. STILL CAUGHT THAT BASTARD THOUGH!

I was on injury duty for 3 months.

2 weeks after I got back on the streets in January 23, 1999, I shot and killed a guy.

9 weeks on admin duty.

Came back from that in March 1999 and in August I fought a guy who had shot at me 5 times and was high on a massive amount of cocaine. He was in a truck and I was on foot and chased him 5 blocks before he bailed out of the truck. He ran a couple of blocks and I caught him. Then he had a heart attack and died while we were fighting. He had just served 18 years in prison in California and had been out less than a month. He was a monster.

Lori showed up on that one also. I was sitting on the bumper of my patrol car drinking a cup of coffee and getting tended to by a cute lady EMT when Lori came up. My trophy for that episode was 2 broken fingers, a couple of busted ribs and several cuts and contusions.

I used to have a bit of a reputation on the streets of Austin.. Charie 700s, "WE OWN THE NIGHT!"... As my wife (at that time) used to say, "Every morning you come home alive is a f------ miracle." :D :D :D :D :D

Charlie 702 is 10-42. :D :D :D :D

Yeah, Lori is definitely cool people and is great to hang out with and drink a few cool beverages.... I think she should have retired by now.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, you definitely were a crazy sob. She was a cool lady, there was only 5 of us on the tour that took 2 hours. When we were talking about you she just keep laughing, and saying , oh that Billy. Now I know why. :lol: Well, don't tell anyone I said this, but you do make a lasting impression on folks....glad to call you an amigo.
DesertYakker

Post by DesertYakker »

Fantastic Report Scott, :clap:

Looks like you guys had a great trip. I wanna go back for sure. This year I am mounting either a torqeedo or a bassyak kayak motor on my Coosa, then I will show that wind tunnel who is boss :x .
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks Brandon. Yeah, I was wishing for a little help going through there. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I guess the way the Prowlers are made, they cut through with out really too much resistance. It was the wind in our face and the spray from the waves hitting that was more of the pain. We kept a constant 3mph per the gps, but the minute you quit paddling it was like putting it in reverse. That's what the main problem was, not getting to stop and rest, just kept paddling. Now that it's done and we've had a few days to look at pics and reminisce, I can not WAIT to get back. That wind tunnel really doesn't seem too bad now, sitting in front of my desk. :lol: Hollar when y'all are thinking to go down there and give me a shout, i'll through a tow rope to your moto-yak and we'll get back just fine. :lol:

Scott
DesertYakker

Post by DesertYakker »

Yeah,

I was wishing for a 16 foot yak going through there. The Coosa is a moving water yak and that's where it shines. It's really no fun with a 20mph headwind and a raised up seat. Anyway, I will let you know next time because I want to make it past dead man's canyon and up the pecos to some great white bass and LMB's that love the moving water. :wink: I think it's about 1-2 miles up from dead man's canyon is where the clear part is.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

DesertYakker wrote:Yeah,

I was wishing for a 16 foot yak going through there. The Coosa is a moving water yak and that's where it shines. It's really no fun with a 20mph headwind and a raised up seat. Anyway, I will let you know next time because I want to make it past dead man's canyon and up the pecos to some great white bass and LMB's that love the moving water. :wink: I think it's about 1-2 miles up from dead man's canyon is where the clear part is.
Let me know a month or so in advance and i'll see what I can do. I'm ready for it. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this guy's blog post. Bert's a cool guy, and back in the summer him and some fellas did that very trip.
http://lonestarchronicles.com/boomerang-on-the-pecos/

Scott
DesertYakker

Post by DesertYakker »

Yeah, I read that awhile back. Shane Davies is a good friend of mine and I have been fishing with him on the Brazos twice. Best Kayak fishing guide I know.