CCA aluminum pliers

fishchase

CCA aluminum pliers

Post by fishchase »

I'm looking at getting a pair of these cause I've heard good things bout them. I'm wondering though, what are the little channels across the jaws? Are they for grip? They look kind of like wire strippers but I wouldn't think they would belong on fishing pliers.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 019284926P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5fangers

Re: CCA aluminum pliers

Post by 5fangers »

They look like crimpers.
HawgLife
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by HawgLife »

Yeah x2 on the crimpers. I have the h20 express aluminum pliers and love them! Definitely a cheap necessity.
fishchase

Post by fishchase »

I see, thanks. Crimpers for what? Seems like they would just be an annoyance.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

For making your own leaders, crimping the sleeves that would keep them from coming undone. Or in a pinch, and emergency repair on an electrical component.
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

RedWolf wrote:For making your own leaders, crimping the sleeves that would keep them from coming undone. Or in a pinch, and emergency repair on an electrical component.
You would be better of buying a real set of crimpers for that you will just end up braking those.
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

I have had four different pairs of those type of pliers and have not been impressed with any of them under $50. I am thinking about buying something in the $100 range and be done. The jaws all flex and corrode in no time. Even the stainless jawed ones are junk IMO. Im not saying you have to buy $300 Van Staals but something about $75-100 should be higher quality.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

macjank7 wrote:I have had four different pairs of those type of pliers and have not been impressed with any of them under $50. I am thinking about buying something in the $100 range and be done. The jaws all flex and corrode in no time. Even the stainless jawed ones are junk IMO. Im not saying you have to buy $300 Van Staals but something about $75-100 should be higher quality.
I was wondering about that. Thanks for your review. Looks like I'll just start a pliers penny jar like I'm doing for some good waders.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

macjank7 wrote:I have had four different pairs of those type of pliers and have not been impressed with any of them under $50. I am thinking about buying something in the $100 range and be done. The jaws all flex and corrode in no time. Even the stainless jawed ones are junk IMO. Im not saying you have to buy $300 Van Staals but something about $75-100 should be higher quality.
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of surgical grade hemostats. Tie a small diameter (1/8") nylon rope to one of the finger holes to attach to your belt. Best hook remover out there; locks onto the hook so you can reposition your hands to get better leverage and can see the inside of the fishes' mouth better; surgical SS lasts a long time.

I have had this pair for over 20 years. The lanyard is new.
Attachments
image.jpg
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

For the price you should look at buying one these

http://www.tackledirect.com/p-line-adar ... 7AodkgYAUw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use mine while wade fishing and on the kayak and have not had any issues with them. They're going on 4 years and haven't been replaced yet.
CaptAndrew

Post by CaptAndrew »

herefishyfishy80 wrote:For the price you should look at buying one these

http://www.tackledirect.com/p-line-adar ... 7AodkgYAUw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use mine while wade fishing and on the kayak and have not had any issues with them. They're going on 4 years and haven't been replaced yet.
Whatever you do do not buy the stainless Pline pliers. They are junk... The bass pro ones are pretty nice for 30$ I think walmart has some KVD pliers I bought a while back they work pretty well too.
thegolfpro

Post by thegolfpro »

CaptAndrew wrote:

Whatever you do do not buy the stainless Pline pliers. They are junk... The bass pro ones are pretty nice for 30$ I think walmart has some KVD pliers I bought a while back they work pretty well too.
X2- stay away from the P-Line pliers, in fact stay away from any stainless steel pliers period. :x Will not make it more than a couple of trips in our bay systems before they freeze up on you.

4-Everlast pliers or the H2O Express ones are the best value for the $- aluminum, hold up, way cheaper than the Van Staal's (like over $100!! cheaper) :clap:
bearkat9293

Post by bearkat9293 »

I broke the handle off of a set of CCA pliers this weekend. They were froze up. I tried to pull them apart and the handle broke off in my hand.
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

As far as maintenance goes, you should spray all your metal parts (including your rods) with WD-40, Reel Magic or something comparable. Do this before wash your gear with soap and water rinse and spray again. If you don't use your gear in a while spay monthly. You might think this is over kill but I have had stuff for 10 years with no rust.
herefishyfishy80

thegolfpro wrote:
CaptAndrew wrote:

X2- stay away from the P-Line pliers, in fact stay away from any stainless steel pliers period. :x Will not make it more than a couple of trips in our bay systems before they freeze up on you.

4-Everlast pliers or the H2O Express ones are the best value for the $- aluminum, hold up, way cheaper than the Van Staal's (like over $100!! cheaper) :clap:
I am really curious on how these are stainless steel pliers? I have two different sets, one for the boat and one that I used on every trip which I have had for 4 years and still going. These are aluminum pliers with tungsten carbide cutters.
The only thing that I have had to replace was the cutters because I abused it by cutting everything from braid to steel leader wire.
I'm not saying P-line are the best out there because I know that Accurate and Van Staal make great pliers too but regardless of what pliers you swear by or use, they have to be cared for the same exact way. Washed and lubricated to keep from rusting and locking up on you.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

SmithFamilyTackle wrote:As far as maintenance goes, you should spray all your metal parts (including your rods) with WD-40, Reel Magic or something comparable. Do this before wash your gear with soap and water rinse and spray again. If you don't use your gear in a while spay monthly. You might think this is over kill but I have had stuff for 10 years with no rust.
I concur. The 20 year old Stainless Steel hemostats posted above get this treatment (sans soap). There is some rust on them, but they still work perfectly.
aguaflaca

Post by aguaflaca »

thegolfpro wrote: X2- stay away from the P-Line pliers, in fact stay away from any stainless steel pliers period. :x Will not make it more than a couple of trips in our bay systems before they freeze up on you.

WRONG.
SS will last for years if you take care of them. I have a pair of the low quality SS pliers purchased with a Nu-Mark wading belt over 20 years ago and they haven't frozen up yet.
rico86

Post by rico86 »

FTU has house brand pliers for 79.99
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

The Bass Pro Shop pliers are $40 and mine have lasted 3 years so far and are a good as new. They are smooth as silk and the braid cutter on them is very nice to have!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

real s/s (316 ss) will not rust or corrode and will last until you loose it. Most of the fishing "ss" stuff is 410 stainless and is only stain and rust resistant. Hint: if it's magnetic, it's 410 ss.

I have used a pair of the ss hemostats for the past 15 years in both salt and fresh water. Never any problems. A pair of sears pliers and wire cutters, well oiled, are in my water proof kayak kit should the need for such tools be needed.
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Yaklash wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of surgical grade hemostats. Tie a small diameter (1/8") nylon rope to one of the finger holes to attach to your belt. Best hook remover out there; locks onto the hook so you can reposition your hands to get better leverage and can see the inside of the fishes' mouth better; surgical SS lasts a long time.

I have had this pair for over 20 years. The lanyard is new.
I have a pair that are always on my belt I just carry pliers for pulling some of the more stubborn hooks and I like the braid cutters.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

SmithFamilyTackle wrote:As far as maintenance goes, you should spray all your metal parts (including your rods) with WD-40, Reel Magic or something comparable. Do this before wash your gear with soap and water rinse and spray again. If you don't use your gear in a while spay monthly. You might think this is over kill but I have had stuff for 10 years with no rust.
2X. I use the cheap SS ones from walmart at about 7 buck and oil when in the salt. I have had mine for about 8 years. But I do fish freshwater most of the time. And when at the coast I do not wade fish very much.. Mostly in the kayak and not in the water.
ElTiburon

Post by ElTiburon »

I like the CCA aluminum ones. haven't had a problem in 3 years with them
herefishyfishy80

ElTiburon wrote:I like the CCA aluminum ones. haven't had a problem in 3 years with them
Just dont use them to cut off 2 of 3 hooks of the treble hook on a corkie... :shock:
Didn't want to kill any of the rats and dinks i was catching that day and didn't have any hooks to change them out with :lol:
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

CCA aluminum pliers

Post by lurejunkee »

I've had my CCA pliers for 3 years and the cutters are just starting to wear. Only down side for me is they're a hair short. Never had an issue with them and are very sturdy. I'm just looking to replace the cutters.