Kayak Fishing Lure Tournament May 2

GCARR

Kayak Fishing Lure Tournament May 2

Post by GCARR »

Mike posted this on another thread, didn't see much interest so I decided to help him out.

As of right now Alvin and myself will be there.

KAYAK Bass Tournament
lures tournament May 2 2015
Entry fee will be one new lure
Meet at Happy Trails 0600
Start time for fishing will be 0630 end time1330
pictures turn in at Happy Trails at 1400
This will be a in town river tournament.
From below Lake Nasworthy to Bell St.
launch points must be public

The tournament format will be:
This is a Catch Photo and Release (CPR) tournament.
There is a FIVE fish limit.
Black Bass must be a minimum of 14 inches long to qualify.
Unique identifiers for each angler will be handed out at the beginning of the tournament.
The winner is the angler that catch the highest inch total between five fish in the tournament.
Winner takes all the lures for the tournament!

The measurement guidelines are:
Hawg Trough Measuring Board is the only measuring board allowed
(If you need a measuring board for the tournament they are available at Happy trails and on line)
Fish must be photographed facing to the left of the image with the dorsal fin pointing up.
The fishes mouth must be closed or a .5 inch deduction will taken off the anglers total for each fish that is photographed with it's mouth open.
The fishes tail must be laying flat on the measuring board, a slight pinch in the tail of the fish is acceptable.
The anglers identifier must be visible in the image with the fish.
Digital cameras and Cell phone pictures will be allowed[/quote]
teenfisherman

Re: Kayak Fishing Lure Tournament May 2

Post by teenfisherman »

I hope you guys have a turnout as big as we did yesterday for the one at Buffalo springs in Lubbock! About a dozen people showed up
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

I'm from Hobbs and had every intention of being there but work called. I might be able to make that 30th trip.
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

So far Alpo, myself, 2 guys from midland and two from andrews who aren't on this site. Any others..........
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

I wish I could make it, I'm off work, but tight on gas money and have some other obligations! You should try posting on the Texas fishing forum as well
Andersgear

Post by Andersgear »

I'll be there!! Gerret and I were talking about maybe a little side pot, say $20? But that would be optional. It'll be me and another guy I know for sure fishing.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Another thing you can do for tournaments is hold a weekly or bimonthly tourney like a "Thursday Night Lure tourney". Same meeting place every Thursday at say, 6 p.m... Fish until 8 p.m... It's a quick 2 hour tourney and you usually get a fairly good turnout. People, like bass, like structure....
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

I think it's really cool that a few tourneys are starting to pop up across west texas. I won't be able to make that one but, quite a few guys around here are interested in Oak Creek. So if/when we do go to oak I'll be sure to put something up on here so you San Angelo guys can get in on the action, I think it would have the potential of having 25 people or more?
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

We used to hold one on the third Sat of the month and did that for about two years. Most months it was the same two or three people. The most to ever show up was eight. This is a trial run to see what the participation is like now. Might start holding more after we are done shooting archery Tournaments later this summer.
Andersgear

Post by Andersgear »

I'll be there but!, and this is just my opinion. Lure tournaments will only draw so many. I'll fish a few but I'd rather fish for money! Doesn't have to be a lot but just lures all the time? Yes I see the same two or three buddy's showing up but not much of a draw. I was in bass clubs from 1992-2007 till I got tiered of the political part. We fished for money period. But! I am excited about this weekend, mostly because I've not fished any kind of tournament in years. Just my opinion but might be something to think about.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

No one showed up when it was 20.00 entry fee ether for the few that we did. Right now just looking to see what kind of interest that there is. And will have to see what kind of format that the one that show up on Sat. would like to see later on in the year. I through this together because I had a free weekend and went with this format because its fast and easy to set up.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I tried to manage to get off but still a no go, which means a no show for me. :cry:

My main problem is I work every Saturday or I would love to be there. I do think a $10-$20 entry might get more interest. There are a ton of new yak fisherman that don't have a clue about TKF. Just a thought, but maybe ask to put up some fliers at some of the marinas and even Academy. There are already Thursday night and Saturday morning tourneys at Nasworthy every week. This is for anyone, even bank fisherman I guess, although it's primarily big boats, and they have pretty good turnouts. There are other tourney on Nasworthy every month, but not as frequent as these. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck to you guys that are going. Make us proud! :clap: :D
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

You right Scott that there are a lot of new kayakers out there. I just put this together real fast as I had a free Sat. We are shooting archery most weekends until the end of July and I am trying to make all of the river bassin tournaments in Tx this year. It seems that there are a lot of ideas out there but know one is willing to put the time in to put something together I don't have the time right now so if someone wants to take the lead I can help you with some of the set up but that would be about it.
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

Mike and myself have been working hard getting the word out I think there will be guys wanting to put a side pot together. After the tournament we are going to get together and ask a general census on what we think would be a common solution that makes everyone happy. I'm going to ask Happy Trails to be a sponsor for future tournaments, we have over 50 views in the tournament thread here on TKF but no takers. I think if we had prizes or gift cards we xould bring in mire people. I put one simple thread on Kayak Anglers of West Texas Facebook page and 4-6 people from there page are coming. They have 60+ likes.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

It's always tough to get things started, but I think there's enough interest when the word gets out. I wish I could help more. I kayak and fish as much as I can, but it's always odd times, like Tuesday, so i'm usually on my own. And you're right Mike, it takes someone to stay on it and put in a lot time. I know Earl was good about that. It's just so hard to do with everyone's hectic schedules. Good luck to all of ya. I'll be there in spirit. :D

Scott