Lake Wood

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lake Wood

Post by jhb »

Anyone interested in a casual day trip to Lake Wood? I haven't been in over a year and I bet some debris has washed in to the lake since the flooding. I bet the water is cleared up by now though. Any interest in this? Lake Wood is characteristically shallow with very shallow inlets covered in lily pads. The bass will hit these shallow inlets hard in the mornings for breakfast and then disappear to deep structure in the afternoons to stay cool. Great for morning topwaters/frogs and then a quick transition to deeper worms or crank baits.
Zackthefisherman

Re: Lake Wood

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I would love to go but I can't for a week or so. Last week while cleaning my kayak I discovered a small crack where the metal seat touches the plastic hull. Jackson is now in the process of sending me a brand new 2015 cuda 12 as a replacement. One of the conditions was I had to drill 20 holes in the bottom of my old boat. So I'm currently yakless until I receive my new kayak.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

:shock: That's crazy. That also stinks.

I'm game whenever the new one comes in. I'd like to get there well before sunup to work some topwater frogs and maybe throw out some catfish rigs.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

love fishing lake wood. the lily pads in the main lake body are hot fishing. unfortunately this weekend is my wedding anv so im out. thanks for the invite tho.. I caught a nice 18'' lmb at the pads on a small foam bumble bee. also the black rubber legged dragon works awesome out there. good luck
Zackthefisherman

That sounds like a great plan. From what I've seen online it seems like a good little lake. I'll let you know when my my new yak comes in so we can make plans. Also I still work at schliterbahn and I usually have Wednesday's and Saturday's off. Let me know if that works for you if not I'll make arrangements.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Smart of you for taking Saturdays off, those were always particularly miserable as an employee...
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'm dying to get some bass and cat fishing in this weekend. I was thinking about going to Lake Wood both days. Any one else interested?

Check out the Navionics web app map of Lake Wood. I got some new spots to try now :D
Zackthefisherman

Jhb I sent you a Pm.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

So this wasn't technically at Lake Wood, but just up the road on the Guadaluoe at a friend's place... it was an epic night, to say the least...
image.jpg
30" Blue Catfish
image.jpg
49" Long-nosed Gar
image.jpg
25" Blue Cat

I'll write up more after I sleep. I'm tired.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Not sure why the first picture came out upside down...

Hit the Guadalupe above Lake Wood at a friend's house on Saturday afternoon/evening/night. Only landed one bass (the water is flowing about 600 cfs and has 1' visibility which definitely didn't help). Then fished all night and managed a 24" blue cat first, then a 30" blue cat and then a 49" long nosed gar. Needless to say, it was a fun night. Everything (except the bass) was caught on perch and perch guts.

Fished Lake Wood on Sunday morning (0600-1000) and managed a half dozen small bass. Fished a topwater frog for most of that time and had a bunch of interest. Had a few missed blow ups including a run on a decent bass that came straight for me and I couldn't reel up the slack quick enough to set the hook properly. All in all, a fun morning.

The water hyacinth has the lake under its grip. The boat ramp right now is about a 30 yard paddle through water hyacinth (I'll post pics later) and boats really can't put in unless they're light and the motor trims up real well. I talked to some park folks at the office who seemed overwhelmed by the hyacinth and basically said they'll wait until it freezes to try to handle it. I don't foresee it nigh a big issue for a "floatilla" out here though.

Let me know when anyone would like to go out. I have room for one more in my truck and free weekends and evenings.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

looks like a good time. perch guts huh? haven't heard that one yet. I here ya about the floating vegetation on lake wood. that grass line in the main lake is awesome to fish early morning and evening with some fly poppers. keifer slough a few months back was impossible to make it in more than 20-30 feet. ive always had good catfish luck in there. that lake has a plethora of large cat fish. yum we need to do a fall camping trip out there also.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Keifers Slough looked good this weekend, I didn't take the time to go up it but the opening was cleared a ways back up in there. Next time I go I plan on taking a machete and spending about 15 minutes clearing a path at the ramp to get out.

I'm interested in doing a night fish out here. There are plenty of places to camp and spending some time at night on the lake targeting large gar and catfish would be a blast. Anyone down?
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

yes im down for sure.. I just have so much crap booked for my weekends till October. so maybe we can set something up for then. warthog will be back by then as well. when we get around mid September I can get something together. I still want to float from the damn down to the park in Gonzales. have you ever done that trip? fishing good? should be almost no pressure on the fish down there
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I haven't done that trip. I need to. I think Warthog has fished below that dam though.

I have a trip to Big Bend scheduled right before our forum float down the Colorado, so October is booking up quick. I'll be out near Lake Wood on Saturday the 22nd for sure.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

yea he fished below it and caught a few gar and was visited by a snake. looks like a cool stretch and that's where the SM meets the guad. I bet the bass are thick there. I cant make that weekend of the 22nd I have a large project at work starting that weekend. well get something going one day. have fun at big bend
Zackthefisherman

I'd be down but between starting college and work at schlitterbahn I'm booked up until the end of September. That float trip honkey brought up sounds interesting as well.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Well... it seems like you guys need less responsibility and more time to fish. JK.

But, in all seriousness, I'm buying another kayak tonight :) so, I'm looking to get her slimed pretty soon if any of you characters would get any free time.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

what kinda boat did you get? I really like that Diablo Warthog picked up. I want one. I also want a outback. im torn between the two
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I got an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler. Found it cheap off the TKF Fb page and snatched it up. Primary purpose is for a light kayak for my wife and I. My Ride isn't ideal for just chunking around and dragging for long periods- she's a beast. I love her, but she's a chore at times. This Prowler is probably going to turn in to my after work boat with one rod and minimal tackle for sliding in the water for a few hours. She tracks well. Zackthefisherman paddled her on Saturday. I paddled her for the first trip yesterday on the Guadalupe.

I like those Diablos also... I'm itching to continue upgrading my fleet also. The OK wasn't my first choice but the price couldn't be beat. It's more BTB worthy than my Ride though which is another focus of mine. I'll bring her out for awhile... she's green came.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Congratulations on the good find. I too bought an ocean kayak but mine is the Trident 15 footer. It is awesome for BTB. Not so great on the rivers. But I manage. I think it up online brand-new for $699 delivered couldn't pass it up. I think my next boat will be a will be a outback
b737

Post by b737 »

You guys must have huge garages, with nothing else to put in them!
Zackthefisherman

Well why were talking about our dream kayak fleets I thought I might as well share mine. I would get a cuda 14 for open watet and the coast and a coosa Hd for rivers. Right now I have a Cuda 12 which I think is a good mix of both. It would be cool to also have a Jackson Superfishal sup for quick river trips.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

The Superfishal is awesome.
IMG_8806.JPG
I got this bass on Sunday. My code is worn but still there. I can provide further proof also.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

It's all good. No code needed if there is a lone star tall boy in the pic
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Well then... I guess it's legit. It's in my Shiner koozie too. Shiner in a bottle on my classy days, Lone Star in a can for the water. Bourbon at night.

*edit: I just realized I posted this in the Lake Wood thread and not the competition thread. I'll have to remember that come the 31st.