August competition

honkey1

August competition

Post by honkey1 »

Ok fellas let's make this one a little more interesting. Should be easy, biggest sunfish biggest bass total length. Code if anyone uses it will be

1S+1B

Good luck fellas
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: August competition

Post by jhb »

Thanks honkey, sounds fun.

I got out yesterday for awhile at Hueco and Slumber falls (in the evening after most the tourists left) and nailed a few LMB and one SMB, but no Guads.
t100

Post by t100 »

Are boundaries back to normal?
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Now that the water is back to normal and Sparrow caught two gorgeous bass on the SMR last week, I'd say yes, boundaries are back to normal. Sorry Warthog, get your ass back to Texas.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Yes boundaries are back to normal warthog you should've posted some fish last month what's the deal?
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

jhb wrote:Now that the water is back to normal and Sparrow caught two gorgeous bass on the SMR last week, I'd say yes, boundaries are back to normal. Sorry Warthog, get your ass back to Texas.
Yeah last week Sparrow hooked into a monster on the flyrod he had about 20 foot or so of line in his lap and soon as that fish took his fly it took that line in no time. He was using a loaner real of mine because for some reason he forgot to bring his fishing poles on a fishing trip and the drag on mine was set too tight. Soon as the line hit the drag The frayed leader he was talking about right before he caught that fish snapped. He gets very lucky when it comes to large bass on the fly rod. This time however he was very unlucky
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Well, we were right below (and I mean right below) the Martindale damn and he whips that fly to the bank and on his first cast this bass was stripping line, I turn around to come take some pics and he's fighting all the the flotsam that gathers in the eddies below dams to get this bass to the boat. Right as the bass gets to the side of the kayak he lets go of the line to grab some more and keep tension and his hand misses the fly line and everything goes limp. Rod tip straightens out, line just looks limp and he starts cursing up a storm... and strips the slack out and the bass is still there and basically jumps in his boat. Warthog and Sparrow, though very different in their tactics and demeanor are two of the best fishermen I know. Each equal parts skill and luck.

I'm headed out to Cypress Bend park for a few hours this afternoon to practice some fly fishing and see if I can land me some bass. Anyone else gonna be out?
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

I would have to agree with you on their fishing technique I think it has something to do with all the Coors light they drink!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Went out yesterday for a few hours to CBP and managed one Guadalupe bass on the fly and didn't have the code on my hand, story of my life... I'll be out again this afternoon...
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I went out yesterday evening to the GuadaComa through Cypress Bend. Had great luck on the fly and managed a few on BBHs as well. I realized after I wrote the code that I had written "1B + 1S" and so I drew the <--> arrows below the code. Forgive me. Here's a bass submission for now, and I'm pretty sure she's a Spotted Bass.
IMG_8615.JPG
I'll be hitting the San Marcos River this afternoon. My body is becoming accustomed to the heat finally and I try to swim often.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Finally getting to a post...Looks like a good competition. I'll catch a couple weeks of next month's competition when I get back. Austrian Alps flyfishing was awesome. If you are ever in Austria, I highly recommend Hotel Braurup. They own 80 miles of fishing rights there, brew their own (very good) beer, and the scenery and fishing is amazing. I caught rainbows, brown trout, and seatrout (not the same as our Texas "seatrout", but the similarities in spot pattern is where the misnomer of the Texas trout originated). I caught some trout that I haven't had time to ID yet. Apparently this region gets some pretty unique coloration.

Most of them would have won last month's competition :wink: , but they are very fragile this time of year. The extra time to snap a picture and measure can mean death for the fish. But I did get pictures of some of them. Here are a few pics:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/warth ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, my Bavarian hunter - style pork with cheese spetzle just arrived. I'm in the North Limestone Bavarian Alps this weekend, doing some mountain biking. I know I should be fishing, but I've got to burn all this rich Bavarian food and beer somehow...

Thanks for the props JHB; you are a fine fisherman yourself. Can't wait to fish when I get back.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

So you're coming back on 11 September I guess we can set up a fishing trip for September 12. Hahaha
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Found a decent better bass on the SMR Thursday. I'm going to add one more bass every trip and only increase by a 1/4" each time. Story of my life. :roll:
image.jpg
Trying to hit the water a lot more this month. I'll get a sunfish up here soon.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Spent some time at the GuadaComa yesterday practicing on the fly rod.
IMG_8752.JPG
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I keep stepping up the bass a little at a time...
image.jpg
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Is that gal a Guadalupe or Hybrid? Here's another pic...
IMG_8800.JPG
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Finally on the board.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'm going to move this over from a mis-post in the Lake Wood thread. My code is slightly visible, I have other pics that can show the timeframe if needed (though you can see that this was caught in my Prowler and I've only had that for 1.5 weeks now). Honkey says I have a pass since I have a Lone Star tall boy in the photo... :lol:
IMG_8806.jpg
I watched Zack bow up on his bass on the fly. He caught it above a submerged brush pile and it put up quite a fight.
IMG_8897.JPG
I also caught my first Rock Bass (Warmouth). She took a Baby Brush Hog aggressively off the bank on the fall of the cast. I thought I had a decent Guadalupe Bass for a minute the way she fought.
IMG_8891.JPG
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Good job both of you guys. I'm going to try and hit the SM manana with sparrow if I can get out of work early enough then Saturday hit the guad
Zackthefisherman

It's really close now. If I calculated correctly I'm less than an inch ahead. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also spotted a beaver in the Comal today.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Good catch Zack! Looks like I have some work to do.
Zackthefisherman

I caught this 25inch beast on the fly today. To bad I didn't catch it last month.
[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/26 ... ffb6f7.jpg[/img]
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I think it's me with 26" and Zack with 26.5" as the only two on the board this month. C'mon folks, it ain't too late, fishing is supposed to be good this weekend and dove hunting starts next week.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

I'm hitting the Guad sat morning at 6 am so watch out
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

If someone could please double check this...
image.jpg
I calculated my Sunfish at just over or right at 9" . I lost my hog trough on the Guadalupe if anyone finds it :roll: