Opinions on A BTB Kayak

EricDB7560

Opinions on A BTB Kayak

Post by EricDB7560 »

So I have been looking at Kayaks. Been thinking and It's time for me to upgrade. I'm really interested in the Jackson Kayak Kraken 13.5 Wondering if anyone has one and what their experience with it is. Or I know this question will prolly make a run away. But what everyone's opinion of a good BTB yak would be. Any input would be great. Thanks guys and have a great day.
jakec1

Re: Opinions on A BTB Kayak

Post by jakec1 »

How far you plan on going?

What you plan on fishing for? Over structure? tied to a rig? trolling?

I have gone through a lot of kayaks - but not a Kraken.

I use an adventure island now,because I mainly fish btb nowadays and wanted to start targeting more distant rigs.

For less than 3 miles out. It is very hard to be a Hobie Outback. Tries the PA12 but it tracks sooo horribly it is a PITA coming in with swells at your back. For the outback: Add a set of bullhorn rod holders on back. Add a couple pad eyes upfront and grab yourself a wind paddle sail for when wind is favorable. Build you a deck on the back and put a surf to summit fish bag back there. It gives you two hands free for fishing. You can peddle all day and the bull horn style rod holders are perfect for trolling. Build you a deck inside the center using plexiglass on velcro to give you a flat surface. Put some velcro on top of it with some velcro on bottom of your water tight tackle boxes. Cut the dividers out of the round tackle tray that comes with the hobie. put your leaders in plastic baggies then stick them inside the round container and it makes great leader storage.

I have used other kayaks btb - but nothing really compares to the outback or the adventure island.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck !
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

I have the 15'6" kraken n luv it. I'm a big guy; 6'2" 260, n it is still fast n I can move around on it. T&G canoe n kayak carry Jackson n will take u out n let u try the yaks out; very helpful n good people.
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

I have a profish reload. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up for a test run. It's a similar design to the kraken, but about 1ft longer.