Jetty Road Ownership????

jackinayak

Jetty Road Ownership????

Post by jackinayak »

I surely do enjoy fishing the marshes of Texas Point but it has gotten to the point where Jetty Road, the only way down there, has for all practical purposes become impassable. There have been numerous damaged and severely stuck vehicles. I know that much of the road goes completely under water during extreme tides, making it a maintenance nightmare but all it would take is a few loads of fill material to make it at least usable to tourists, bird watchers, fishermen like me. I have tried contacting the Port Arthur city manager's office and the person who answered the phone had no idea what a "Jetty Road" was. If you know someone or know somebody that knows somebody please ask them for all of us here, if they know what the fate of Jetty Road is to be. It may have been written off as a hopeless cause by whatever entity that is responsible for its existence.
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Jetty Road Ownership????

Post by Rotorman »

City of PA is only responsible for 1st St. Jetty Rd is an easement to the nav beacon and radar. It's maintained by the coast guard station Sabine. My father in law used to be the base commander. They will add dirt only when they can't pass. Still not there yet. If you want to talk to someone, you need to contact the ANT commander of station Sabine. (Aid to Navigation Team -ANT)
MulletMaster08

Re: Jetty Road Ownership????

Post by MulletMaster08 »

I also wonder if, and this is out there and not a immediant fix, but maybe sending a email to TPWD and trying to make Tx point a recognized bird sanctuary or something along the lines of that to where it would be owned by the state, and in turn taking care of the road. Just a thought of maybe a permanent fix
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

Great information and a new line of investigation to follow. I'll bet the Coast Guard has deeper pockets than City of Port Arthur streets department.
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Rotorman »

Coast guard would by a truck just to drive the hole before fixing it
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

How far down is this giant hole?
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

The biggest hole right now that is causing the most problems is immediately before (north of) the turn out to the beach area.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Not far from where the giant hole was last time, then. So, basically the whole marsh area is unreachable, then. :(
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Just paddle from the beach down to the tower. Fishing can be good fishing along the little jetty wall.
acm2117

Post by acm2117 »

call councilman Willie Bae Lewis of Port Arthur. I can get his number from guys at work next week if you need it, or just look it up on the internet. When you talk to him tell him Allen Mathis from the Instrument Dept at Valero said hey. He was an analyzer guy with me for a few months before he retired. He got the road reworked last year when they did it.
acm2117

Post by acm2117 »

MulletMaster08 wrote:I also wonder if, and this is out there and not a immediant fix, but maybe sending a email to TPWD and trying to make Tx point a recognized bird sanctuary or something along the lines of that to where it would be owned by the state, and in turn taking care of the road. Just a thought of maybe a permanent fix
TX point is already a National Wildlife Refuge owned (99yr lease i heard??) by the USFW.
CFulbright

Post by CFulbright »

Piscator wrote:Just paddle from the beach down to the tower. Fishing can be good fishing along the little jetty wall.

You cant get to the beach! Its about 100yards before the beach, ditches on each side.
Mwhit

Post by Mwhit »

Yea, I learned the hard way last Friday the road is almost unpassable, it looked like a small puddle like the onw eight before it then BAM someone pulled the road out from under my truck, I made it through turned around on the beach and made it back... barely, thank god for 4x4!!!