Where have all the kayakers gone?

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Where have all the kayakers gone?

Post by Jimbo_47 »

I know I've been having back issues for several months now and haven't had a chance to get out with the kayak, but I took a ride out Saturday morning to check the ramp conditions at Calaveras and just to see if I might recognize someone from the old gang launching out there.
Well, I drive up to the ramp at about 7:45 and there are two vehicles parked right on the ramp and about a half dozen poles stretched out across the ramp and lawn chairs and someone had a small bon fire that was still blazing built right in the middle of the ramp, and with all the new signage one pole was right at the no fishing sign proping it up.
All that doesn't really surprise me as nobody seems able to enforce the rules, but what somewhat concerned me was the lack of one single kayaker out there, and this hasn't been just a one time thing. :roll:
This has in the past been prime time for fishing for the cats, and I could always see about six or more kayakers on a beautiful and cool Saturday morning in the past.
It seems that either kayaking isn't as popular as it once was, or that the kayakers have found a better place to spend a Saturday morning where the fishing is better, or is it just the increase in fee's that has run everyone off? :?
I'd like to think it's the later, and if there is a better alternative I'd like to know where is it that everyone is going? :?
Remus

Re: Where have all the kayakers gone?

Post by Remus »

Jumbo, I've been waiting for the temperature to go up and for the wind to die down. I'm off this Friday 15 April and was planning to go fishing in the am. Hopefully the weather holds up. Perhaps I will have the company of some of the Cali catyakers. See you this Friday.

Remus
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Good luck Remus. Goin spring turkey hunting this weekend.
Post all those fish up u catch.
Roy

Post by Roy »

That's horrible news about the launch! Hate to say it, but chances are pretty good those people couldn't read the signs- if you catch my drift. :x

I'm hoping to make a quick trip next Friday morning. I need to renew my pass and dust off my gear. Plus I finally got a FF so I want to spend a bit of time searching for some new honey-holes for the summer. :lol: Good luck this weekend Remus!
Remus

Post by Remus »

Turkey hunting? I need to get some information for next year's season.

Remus
Redman27

Post by Redman27 »

I know this weekend there was a Bank Fishing Tournament going on which could be the cause of more people fishing the launch than usual. Work as limited me to only going out on Sundays and very limited Saturdays. The fee increase does suck but hasn't been effective keeping me away just pushing me more toward yearly pass lol
rms2005

Post by rms2005 »

i have been going out there quite a bit the last couple of months but mostly monday-thursday and have mostly been the only yak out there, one time there was about 6-7 others. the times I have seen people try and fish there the guard has been pretty quick to run them off, maybe he was finishing his taco still.
LTA

Post by LTA »

A few of us were out there this pass Friday (back by the power lines), I had 1 Striper my Buddy had 3 Reds & 5 Stripers, all on lures. It was slow, water still cold.
LTA

Post by LTA »

Out there again today. I caught two 20" reds my buddy had a 19" & a 18". Caught while trolliing a white & blue crankbait. We arrived @ 3, we fished till dark. Only one other kayak out there, he was bottom fishing. He had a few reds.
holdem

Post by holdem »

I got pneumonia again Jimbo and lived on a ventilator for 3 weeks in a coma. I'm learning how to walk and use my arms again now.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Holdem...sorry to hear that you had a case of pneumonia that placed you on a ventilator. I'm sure you don't miss being suctioned on a regular basis.

Hopefully you will recover soon

Remus
holdem

Post by holdem »

Remus wrote:Holdem...sorry to hear that you had a case of pneumonia that placed you on a ventilator. I'm sure you don't miss being suctioned on a regular basis.

Hopefully you will recover soon

Remus
I was in an induced coma the whole time Harry and don't remember a thing. The Docs think I have a swallowing problem so they have me on a feeding tube until we get a swallow study done. A swallow problem leads to aspiration pneumonia.
Remus

Post by Remus »

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm a registered respiratory therapist and I used to assist our Speech Therapists with the swallow studies. The Speech Therapist can help you with exercises to improve your swallowing. You don't to want aspirate any food...terrible consequences. Take care!

Remus
Roy

Post by Roy »

Dang Holdem, sorry to hear you're going through a rough spell right now- sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery! I'm looking forward to 'peddling' our Hobies to the cove this summer! Get well soon bud
holdem

Post by holdem »

We got it solved Roy, all I gotta do is close my epiglottis manually before I swallow. I did this during the x-ray study and it works like a champ. I'm practicing the Mendelsohn Maneuver which Harry knows about. I'm also working with a speech therapist like Harry said. Smart man. :clap:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Glad to see you are improving Mike!...
Who was it that said, "getting old isn't for sissies?"
He had that one right, and I'm also living proof! :lol:
Roy

Post by Roy »

holdem wrote:We got it solved Roy, all I gotta do is close my epiglottis manually before I swallow. I did this during the x-ray study and it works like a champ. I'm practicing the Mendelsohn Maneuver which Harry knows about. I'm also working with a speech therapist like Harry said. Smart man. :clap:
Awesome news!