Nuecess Bay last few weekends

redruM4un

Nuecess Bay last few weekends

Post by redruM4un »

Forced to skip this weekend but wanted to share that the last few I have been on the water; the Trout and Reds have been thick along the North shore near the Easterly set of Powerlines.
Been getting out to fish the lights in the Midnight to 5AM range and the bite has been amazing up until around 8AM. I will admit I'm not an experienced Spec hunter and managed a few dozen unnecessary hooksets until I figured out it was the wrong thing to do.

So Reds, Black Drum, Ladyfish and Specs on Chartreuse, White H&H Shrimp or spoons tipped with anything twisty. I have been throwing from the pier but watched many guys being dropped off by boat in waist deep water throwing at the piers with free lined finger mullet just destroying them.

Will be out in my $400 paddle yak when I get her down there. Been off the water about 17 years so I'm still working on a real setup eventually.

Good luck and tightlines all
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Nuecess Bay last few weekends

Post by Neumie »

Thanks for sharing, glad to see the reds are starting to school up (though that seems a little early). Where are you accessing the north side of Nueces Bay?
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

I have seen very small groups ..3 to 5 working the lights but there are many more around the length of the pier. During bright daylight and good water conditions I can look down and see them working the shoreline hunting along with what looks like pairs of Black Drum 30 or so feet out stirring up the bottom. Digging for food or spawning? IDK

Throwing cut bait was a fulltime job with the Gafftop being so thick. Lots of nice 20"ers

Access point is private for residents and guests and in the area of mentioned powerlines. I also have another place that I can use (but haven't yet) that requires passing through a locked gate on the North / Far West shore where the old oil wells used to be.

So much to explore and fish out there it's crazy. Thought I was going to buy a small 2 man shallow water boat but honestly don't see the need right now
and learning the many hazards in the area first would be helpful :)
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

redruM4un wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:12 am I have seen very small groups ..3 to 5 working the lights but there are many more around the length of the pier. During bright daylight and good water conditions I can look down and see them working the shoreline hunting along with what looks like pairs of Black Drum 30 or so feet out stirring up the bottom. Digging for food or spawning? IDK

Throwing cut bait was a fulltime job with the Gafftop being so thick. Lots of nice 20"ers

Access point is private for residents and guests and in the area of mentioned powerlines. I also have another place that I can use (but haven't yet) that requires passing through a locked gate on the North / Far West shore where the old oil wells used to be.

So much to explore and fish out there it's crazy. Thought I was going to buy a small 2 man shallow water boat but honestly don't see the need right now
and learning the many hazards in the area first would be helpful :)
Nice. I figured you had to have at least permission from a land owner to access that side of the bay. One of these days I want to paddle over to White's Point and fish those oyster reefs around it.

I've heard many of horror stories from boaters of hitting submerged junk in Nueces Bay. It may be the second most hazardous bay to navigate behind Baffin.