kayak advice (specifically malibu)

jimmyh

kayak advice (specifically malibu)

Post by jimmyh »

We just got a place on Richland Chambers (large lake: 44,000 acres) and I want to buy a kayak specifically for fishing and possibly some duck hunting. I was checking out the Malibu models. Any advice for me? I'd be in the market for a used kayak too.
Gar-man

Post by Gar-man »

I've been looking at the pro explorer myself. I'm looking at getting a second yak and it's between the T120 and the pro explorer (my other yak is a sit inside). The width of the pro explorer is what I really like, I think its 31''. It's almost as wide as the Drifter but has a lot more storage space. Just wish I could find a local dealer so I could see a pro explorer in person first.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Gar-man, there are no local dealers for Malibu yet, but we do have one you can take a look at. As for the width, while they list it at 31" understand that that is the overall width, the seat is much narrower. It is not going to feel anything like a Drifter.

-Clay

Post by Guest »

Were are you at? I'd like to see the Malibu you have.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I am in Spring.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Cobra Navigator-like...

Post by TKFStubb »

TKFClay wrote:Gar-man, there are no local dealers for Malibu yet, but we do have one you can take a look at. As for the width, while they list it at 31" understand that that is the overall width, the seat is much narrower. It is not going to feel anything like a Drifter.

-Clay
If you find a Cobra dealer who has a Navigator to demo, you will be paddling essentially the same boat. Except for the interior layout, the handling charachteristics will be the same because the hull is the same. I would be happy to let you take ours for a spin to see how YOU like it. It is very stable, bookoos of storeage (if you load it up, it will affect the handling a lot), and lots of deck space for gadgets. You'll need a much better seat than it comes with, too. The best thing about the Malibu Kyaks is the "package deal". You get a starter kit that allows you to get right in the water when it arrives. The Pro Explorer is located in Beaumont if you want to try it out.

Post by Guest »

I will actually be coming through there this Sunday. Im going to Lake Charles for some hunting. Will it be open?