Foot Brace Question

Carey56

Foot Brace Question

Post by Carey56 »

Howdy

I've been lurking and learning for a while. Finally got my first yak, a used Tarpon 120. The foot braces will not lock in place (no rudder). Something is missing, pin, clip or something. They both just slide back and forth on the rail.

Do I have to replace the entire brace or can I find the pin or whatever is missing and put it back on?

And if I do have to replace the entire brace, can I just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones?

Thanks.

Carey49
mlstults

Post by mlstults »

I paddled a T160i that had a foot brace that would not lock in place. It had sand and grit in it that kept it from locking. If all your parts are there, then wash it will and apply a shot of Tri-Flo and see it you can get it to lock. If not check with your local Kayak dealer about a replacement.
Good luck.
mikepaddle

Here's The Solution

Post by mikepaddle »

Give the guys at Mariner Sails and Watersports (in Dallas near I-35 and Royal Lane) a call at 972/241-1498. They always have a stock of the replacement pegs hanging on their wall. If you can't get over then give them a call and they will ship it to you. They are very friendly folks with a well stocked store and are a real asset to the Dallas kayak community. The store is a fun place to visit so go by if at all possible. (I must sound like an employee but I am just a very satisfied customer.)

There is a tab on the bow side of the foot peg that locks into the square holes along the center of the foot rail. The pivots were broken off due to someone putting extra heavy pressure down on the pags. It is a quick fix once you have the replacement part.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Austin Canoe & Kayak »

If you havent found what you are looking for we have replacement foot pegs that will fix your issue, assuming it is that the back pin is missing.

They are not expensive.

http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_details.php?ID=530

If you aren't sure if replacing the peg will fix the problem give me a call and we can discuss and try to figure out what is wrong, you shouldn't need new rails.

ACK
www.austinkayak.com
Carey56

Post by Carey56 »

Sorry it took so long to say thanks, been out of town.

Some parts are missing for sure because there are no pins, screws, bolts, or anything. I'm thinking new braces are needed. Pretty sure I can find them at Mt Sports in Arlington or may try the Austin source.

Thanks again.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Austin Canoe & Kayak »

If it turns out you need the entire set, here it is:

http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_details.php?ID=142

ACK
www.austinkayak.com
Carey56

Post by Carey56 »

Today I brought some braces home that are supposed to fit but they don't fit the slide. I may just have to order them from Austin.

Thanks.
Carey56

Post by Carey56 »

Got it done. Installed new rails and braces. Now I need to go fishing.

Thanks.