Christmas Bay at night...

Brizzonator

Christmas Bay at night...

Post by Brizzonator »

Just wondering if anyones fished there at night time.
I've never been nightfishing on a yak and would like to try it one of these full moon evenings sometime.
Any other suggestions on good night fishing areas around the Galveston area?
Thanks.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Last year I had fair luck fishing Mosquito Island at TCD.
Cracker Yak

Post by Cracker Yak »

I'm a little late to the reply, but I've had pretty good luck fishing X-mas bay at dusk. I was there around 9ish a few weeks ago and landed a couple keeper REDs and a few Rats. Had my line broke twice on some bigger hook ups. :(
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

I would not leave my car unattended at night on the TCD. It is bad enough in the day time.

Ray
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Late Reply...

Post by TKFStubb »

I guess its never too late to give good fishing info.
There are two ways to night fish...
one is to find some good lights that don't have a lot of traffic and fish around the perimeter. Those aren't hard to find. Just be sure to respect private property and keep your distance.
Another way is to go stealth. That is, launch about 10pm, use only your REQUIRED 360 degree running light and fish topwaters around dropoffs and shell. In the Christmas area, I prefer to go to the County Road that runs into Drumb Bay. I usually paddle out to the first PVC markers and fish the shell between them. That way, if someone aproaches your vehicle, you will be within striking distance! This is always a problem at night. Launching from a busy bait shop is better. Retie down in the boat, use as little light as possible, don't bump the boat with your paddle, and be careful not to run aground. This requires that you know your fishing grounds like the back of your hand! Get to know a good spot and GO FOR IT!
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

I have fished christmas bay at night plenty of times. I prefer to launch at ernies if i am going to fish the grass to the west or at the old condos if i am going to fish the north shore. There is a lot of bait that holds over that grass at night time and there can be some redfish and trout scattered in the area.
If you look at an arial view you can tell where the fish will usually be holding.

If you want to go to the north shore hug the oyster reef if you dont know where you are going until you cross rattlesnake point and continue making your way north. Going towards rattlesnake there are some lights in the distance you can use to navigate as the trees at rattlesnake will block them out. It can get pretty dark on the north shore at night but it can be a good place to catch trout.

Dont forget a baseball bat and a flame thrower to keep the mesquitos away. OFF will not do anything to help protect you against whatever they are breeding out there. I wear some thick pants and a light weight rain jacket and usually bring socks and gloves to make it almost impossible for the mesquitos to bite.
Cracker Yak

Post by Cracker Yak »

isubarui wrote:Dont forget a baseball bat and a flame thrower to keep the mesquitos away.
YUP! :x
wastin away

Post by wastin away »

they have been extremley bad there lately. I think i saw one as big as a chicken the other day