SLA vs. TFO MK II

jasons1414

SLA vs. TFO MK II

Post by jasons1414 »

I read the customer reviews on Cabelas.com about their SLA, and there were several people commenting on drag system failure. Has this happened to anyone else? Also has anyone used Temple Forks MKII series reel? I have searched online for reviews but I have struck out. Any help is appreciated. I guess I should add that I am looking for a 5wt.
SBridgess

Post by SBridgess »

I read the same reviews and decided to purchase the SR reel instead for my TiCr 8 wt. I loved the looks of the SLA, but got scared about the drag. The SR works very well.

I have not tried TFO's reels yet.
pazz

Post by pazz »

I was also looking at the SLA awhile back, but a Cabela associate pointed out that the size of the drag was the same on all of the different models of the SLA (smallish). I also opted for the SR and have been pleased with it to the point that I bought a second one.
jasons1414

Post by jasons1414 »

Thanks for the input! Has anyone tried or heard anything about the TFO reels?
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

Serge Thomas has some good reviews on his site:

kayakflatfishing.com

He likes the TFO 425 and especially the Terry Hayden, but he is primarily a Salt Water Fisherman.
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

Serge Thomas has some good reel reviews on his site:

kayakflatfishing.com

He likes the TFO 425 and especially the Terry Hayden, but he is primarily a Salt Water Fisherman.

I have a 425 and the frame got bent some how, so I am sending it back. Jim Shulin said it would be the first ever to get sent back.