Casting issues

ifeliciano

Casting issues

Post by ifeliciano »

I've been fishing with a 6'6" medium action baitcasting rod for a while now and can cast fairly good with it. I just received a 7' baitcasting medium action ugly stick from a coworker and im having a hell of a time trying to cast.

Will a 6" addition in length change the dynamics of casting ?
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Yes.

The longer rod will give more centrifical force.
Juan pajaro

Post by Juan pajaro »

if the rods have the same stiffness and action they will be close, if they have different stiffness and actions they could be night and day.
ifeliciano

Post by ifeliciano »

Thanks guys. After I posted, the little guy inside my head told me "Yo dumba$$ did you forget about physics ?" Oh well, live and learn, live long enough and forget what you've learned.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Wait till you buy a 7 1/2 or 8.
That thing will take off like a rocket. :lol:
ifeliciano

Post by ifeliciano »

Geez...I went to the park today with the 7 footer and practiced for about two hours. I tied a 1/4 oz. practice plug, 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz and still have many problems. Im going to take this rod back to my friend and buy something new.

What rod would you all recommend to use with a Daiwa Team Advantage 15oH baitcasting reel?
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

the ugly stick is a good rod but is too flimsy for me
ifeliciano

Post by ifeliciano »

altonr77 wrote:the ugly stick is a good rod but is too flimsy for me
Yea it seemed that way, but It was free so I took it. Im gonna look for a better rod just looking for a recommendation from the experts here.
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Ivan Let us know what size line you are using and what type of lures you want to throw, including weight. Lots of guys know rods, but some are BTB, some are bay, and others freshwater.

The guys at Academy and BPS are pretty good about hooking you up with a nice rod for what you are doing with it. Make sure you talk to someone that has experience and gives you a range of rods, not tell you you HAVE to buy a particular one. It should feel good to YOU. The reel is somewhat important, but line size, lure weight, and probably most importantly, what you will be using it for. I.E soft plastics, topwater, crankbits - BTB, inshore, freshwater.

Jim
basscracker

Post by basscracker »

i've found that the longer and heavier rod is tougher to cast from a yak unless you're throwing a really heavy bait. i carry 4 rods for bass and only 2 for reds and stripers (ugly stik lite pros w/ abu garcia 6000 reels). that one reply about the uglys being flimsy is correct, as 90% of the time i'm trolling, and everyone knows you'll break 50lb test brfore you break an ugly. i suggest if you're not going after record fish, a medium action american rodsmith or castaway in the 6'6". good luck.
ifeliciano

Post by ifeliciano »

double dip wrote:Ivan Let us know what size line you are using and what type of lures you want to throw, including weight. Lots of guys know rods, but some are BTB, some are bay, and others freshwater.

..... The reel is somewhat important, but line size, lure weight, and probably most importantly, what you will be using it for. I.E soft plastics, topwater, crankbits - BTB, inshore, freshwater.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have 20lb PowerPro braided line on the rod/reel in question. My main intent was to use it for freshwater fishing with soft plastics and spinners. 1/4oz to 1/2oz.

basscracker wrote:i've found that the longer and heavier rod is tougher to cast from a yak unless you're throwing a really heavy bait. i carry 4 rods for bass and only 2 for reds and stripers (ugly stik lite pros w/ abu garcia 6000 reels). that one reply about the uglys being flimsy is correct, as 90% of the time i'm trolling, and everyone knows you'll break 50lb test brfore you break an ugly. i suggest if you're not going after record fish, a medium action american rodsmith or castaway in the 6'6". good luck.

Heck I've not used this rod off my yak yet :oops: I do like the rod maybe I'll make it a drop shot rig or put a trolling reel on it and well, troll. I'll check out the rods at BassPro and Academy tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies !! :D