Most durable kayak

mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Most durable kayak

Post by mrkm1010 »

Whick kayak is built with the most durable material. I have two OK's that are fairly light and have used the Malibu 2 for over 6 years with no leaks, but there are some pretty serious portage scratches on the bottom. It looks like the Cobra amd Malibu are a lot harder and thicker. Out of the Cobras would the Maurader be too long for btb, and is that front hatch even accesable while you are in the water. Between the FnD and Malibu X Factor which hatch is drier and easiest to access from the paddaling seat? Is the storage compartmenalized or are they open throughout the yak?
redneckmorton
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckmorton »

I have the FnD (for sale) with the large hatch and the round hatch inbetween the legs. you can get in both with no problems sittin on the water.

Morton
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

The Maurader is not too long for btb. It is a great BTB kayak. Longer just make coming back in a bit more of a challenge. The front hatch is the same as the Cobra Navigator. Dancing With Bulls uses one all the time. I think his fishin partner helps stow all their rods before coming back in.

Between the FnD and Malibu X Factor which hatch is drier and easiest to access from the paddaling seat?

The FnD hatch should be dryer because of the locking system it uses.
It is easier to access it is between my knees. They are all open to the entire hull.

The shape of the FnD hull makes it one of the best kayaks for Texas surf. It has a very sharp rocker. And it is short 12'6" and the widest kayak made at 36". The bow comes up really high and at a sharp angle compared to most kayaks, And the stern also curves up. This allows you to lean way back and the bow will lift up and over the waves better. Both going out and back in. Yes I own one and love it. Not affiliated. If you want to try mine one day let me know.

Try before you buy. It is more of a workout than other kayaks but in 4-5' seas there is not a better kayak. IMHO
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Well let's see:

I have never paddled a Maurader, but have fished btb with some people who do and they seemed to do just fine in it.........didn't look like it was too long.

I can only tell you about my X-Factor.......the hatches are pretty dry (although lately something has allowed a little water in the hull)......the storage goes from bow to stern and you can place 7-8 foot rods in there. However to do so you must use the bow hatch or the hatch right behind the seat and often times your milk crate is in the way for the one behind the seat. Because the X-Factor sits so high and dry, I just lay my rod & reels down each side of the tank well, next to the milk crate, and they stay ok on the way in. Heck, if you flip the are going to get wet inside anyway.

The middle hatch is so easy to access that sometimes I am almost sitting on top of it. However, that is for storage of gps, radio, glasses, VHF and other items, you could not put your rods in through that hatch.

Others will have to tell you about the FnD.
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Sorry MMan I forgot about the "crapper" hatch in the Malibu.
They should move it forward 6". I was always sitting on mine in the MPE.
late start

Re: Most durable kayak

Post by late start »

mrkm1010 wrote:Between the FnD and Malibu X Factor which hatch is drier and easiest to access from the paddaling seat? Is the storage compartmenalized or are they open throughout the yak?
I have both a FnD and an X-Factor. I bought the FnD to replace the X-Factor but for me the jury is still out if I'm happy with that.

The X-Factor has more storage via the large front hatch. I can slide 7 foot poles in there no problem. The problem is you can't get to it when you're out of the water (I can't at least). The hatch right in front of the seat is OK but usually my kayak seat is just covering the back part of the hatch cover. I have to sit back a little to access the hatch. I never get in the hatch behind the seat. The front hatch on the X-Factor is where you'll get water inside the kayak. When punching through the surf, some water always get under that hatch. But it's never been enough to cause me any problem.

I took the FnD out for the first time at TOBA. The surf was kinda rough that day. I had allot more water coming over and in that kayak than I was used to in the X-Factor. But it all drained out ok. I got the FnD because of the mid hatches and the open storage space in the front. I was able to open the mid hatches with no problem while out of the water. However, I had more water coming over the side of the yak (rough day) and had to be careful when I had the hatch open or water would pour in. The front storage space if why I wanted the FnD. I can keep stuff in front of my feet on the deck and have access to it. I could not do that in the X-Factor as the front storage was under the front hatch.

TJ suggested I take the X-Factor out during TOBA so I could compare the two side by side in rough surf. I should have but I was tired. My feel is that the X-Factor is a dryer ride but the FnD has more available space to put stuff you can access without tempting the flip-over gods. Also I was happy that my 7 foot tiger rod could get around the front of the FnD much easier than around the front of the X-Factor.

Like I said, the jury is still out which one I like better. They are both great kayaks for BTB.
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dancingwithbulls »

I have the Navigator like FF said, and it's a great yak if you're a little shorter. The only things i don't about it are the fact that i have no scupper holes in my seat, so once water gets in there, it stays there. To counter this, i bought a sponge to get that water out when i get passed the breakers. I usually require a little help to get the rods back in since my biggest hatch is up front. I like the marauder and probably would have gotten it if i had a bit more extra cash.
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

I have paddled a bunch and before I bought the Fish and Dive, it was a crap shoot between it and the X factor. The main selling point was the large hatch in the cocpit where you can store all of your rods and gear when coming through the surf not losing rods.

This proved to be very valuable last weekend.

Paddle them all in the surf and see which one you like.

ANOTHER GREAT THING ABOUT BTB

Everyone usually fishes in groups, so you can paddle just about any yak everytime we go fishing. There all out there.

You are welcome to paddle mine next weekend,

Ty
Arnulfo Curiel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Arnulfo Curiel »

Mark, I've owned both the FnD and the Xfactor. They're both great BTB kayaks. The Fnd hatches do stay drier, due to the large xfactor front hatch. But I havent heard of a 100% dry hatch. You can access the Xfactor front hatch on the water being very careful. I wouldn't and havent attempted that in rough water. As far as durability goes, the Fnd just feels more heavy duty, its a tank! The center hatch on the Fnd is easier to access and more ideally positioned. The Fish n Dive down side for me is that in the flats/bay, it becomes a sluggish heavy tank! Because of its shape, it becomes a hard paddle and doesn't track well at all, specially into the wind. Which is funny because this hull shape is what makes it the perfect BTB kayak. I just like the xfactor cause its an easier paddle and tracks well even without a rudder. Plus the deck layout makes it easy to stand, sight cast, and fish at the same time. This I also wouldnt do in rough water, only on the flats/bay. So if you only plan to have one kayak and fish BTB exclusively, then the FnD is your best bet. But if your like me, fish both the flats and BTB with one kayak, then the Xfactor is your best bet.
Arnulfo Curiel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Arnulfo Curiel »

Remember, that was just my opinion of those "2" kayaks. There are alot of different kayaks that are very durable and do very well. Its just personal preference.
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

Thanks guys, I'll fish the old OK Malibu 2 and see what comes up in a used yak this winter. Someone that owns one of these 2 boats will loose their zeal for the sport when the water gets cold. I don't think I couldn't go wrong with either boat. When I get a chance I want to look at the Maurader also. The only thing I'm not sure about is having that big front hatch cover.I get between a quart and a half gallon of water in my OK with just the factory seat hold downs on a day like last saturday.