Is it legal to fish here?

cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Is it legal to fish here?

Post by cudagreg »

So i had noticed this launch point on the ACK website and was planning my next marsh trip here. But the i get the email about LSKS and it specifically mentions the north east marsh of salt lake is off limits. iis this only for the tourney or is it off limits at all times. are there any signs posted in the area that says no fishing???
salt lake.png
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Is it legal to fish here?

Post by texnomad »

I wonder where that is since it is not the Salt Lake here in Rockport.
Andreujc

Post by Andreujc »

I was just wondering the same thing about that spot..... :shock:
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

texnomad wrote:I wonder where that is since it is not the Salt Lake here in Rockport.
its across the ICW from christmas bay in the freeport area
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

I am pretty sure that area is not legal to fish. I believe there is a gate there that you would need to cross over to get into the area. I think there are signs there as well with such a warning.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

is salt lake ok to fish cause people posted on the ACK launch site that there is good fishing there and you can get to many other spots from that launch. Im just hoping its only the marsh that is off limits
Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

I would advise you to contact these folks:
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/te ... azoria.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

It's my understanding that you can fish Salt Lake but you can't launch there.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

The area you circled is off limits all the time. You can still fish Salt Lake but not that marsh. If you zoom in on the bottom right of your circle you can see where they have it blocked off. I believe they have signs as well.
revriptide

Post by revriptide »

how can you legally restrict access to a marsh?
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

revriptide wrote:how can you legally restrict access to a marsh?
It's a federally protected wildlife management area. This is a really old post I found once because I was interested in the location as well.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=55611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

thanks coach that clears it up glad i asked before i made the drive, no way i would go jumping fences into federally protected areas. after researching i found this is a marsh where many fish are released and are breeding grounds for them. places like this make it possible for us to continue fishing for the many years ahead of us. without areas like this all the pier fishing bait soakers would ruin our bay/marsh systems
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

i asked the government the same thing and they said... "I DO WHAT I WANT B*****" :lol: :lol: :lol:
jaguarpaw

Post by jaguarpaw »

a long long time ago a UFO :dance: went down in that area and it's now off limits ...ps you didn't hear it from me
HtXfisherMan8706

Post by HtXfisherMan8706 »

Coachsmills wrote:
It's a federally protected wildlife management area. This is a really old post I found once because I was interested in the location as well.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=55611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They should sticky this and other informative conservation posts! Good find coach!
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

The other downside to using salt lake for a launch on tourney day is that you will be waiting for them to open up, and it will be after the official launch time...but it can be a good spot. Lots of shell and mud in that shallow lake, and Nicks Cut usually holds fish. Plenty of other fishable spots there.

Also, if you follow the creek right near the launch it leads to a little marsh lake that the reds will push up into at high tide.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Looking at the map of the marsh there, it appears on the north shoreline of Salt Lake that there's a slough which winds it's way up into the marsh and would put you above the weir. I don't know if that's fenced or restricted but it would seem to me that if they're restricting access via the weir then there should be signs on this slough as well otherwise there's no point in posting signs at the weir.

Zoom in on the weir and move due west a little ways and you'll see the slough I'm talking about.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

I was looking at that exact spot until I got the e mail too. Would have been a great spot to launch.
EZ-E
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by EZ-E »

cudagreg wrote:So i had noticed this launch point on the ACK website and was planning my next marsh trip here. But the i get the email about LSKS and it specifically mentions the north east marsh of salt lake is off limits. iis this only for the tourney or is it off limits at all times. are there any signs posted in the area that says no fishing???
salt lake.png
We have had the Salt Lake/Weir rule since we started the series last year. But it was not as "BLUNT" & to the point as it is worded now. I heard that there could be a way to launch & not have to cross the weir .. so i had to be more specific about that area.

Dustin 8)
TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

I know the guy if im correct that is Brazoria right
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Yes, that is Brazoria national Wildlife refuge. There are a couple of ways into the circled area (including the weir which is only half-there and completely non-functional) and all of it is off limits per the refuge manager and game warden. It had been ok to enter the drain that did not have the weir in the past but now they are calling that one off limits as well.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Ms addicted wrote:Yes, that is Brazoria national Wildlife refuge. There are a couple of ways into the circled area (including the weir which is only half-there and completely non-functional) and all of it is off limits per the refuge manager and game warden. It had been ok to enter the drain that did not have the weir in the past but now they are calling that one off limits as well.
I was over there a few weeks ago and noticed that water was pouring into the marsh over the remains of the weir. I thought that it was just a higher water condition and was designed to let some salt water in. I almost screwed up when I hung my jig head below the weir and got caught up in a strong current pulling me into the weir structure and nearly got my bow and stern wedged in between two posts. Would have been a certain dump of me and my gear had the kayak gotten pinned and could have been even worse had I gotten pinned into the structure.