More Jerks than fish in Pierce Marsh?

mlyle

More Jerks than fish in Pierce Marsh?

Post by mlyle »

Has anyone else ever had problems with jet skis flying through pierce marsh between you and your buddies while your kayaking? Fished pierce marsh today (deep guts, live shrimp, every fish you can name was caught but undersized) and literally almost rocked out of my kayak a few times because Jet skis would blow past us. After the first 3 times we yelled at them and they would shrug as if they have right of way going 40 mph through the marsh.

I didn't know if this is your typical douche memorial day weekend crowd, or if I am actually incorrect and they have the right to do that through the marsh. I see it as a extreme safety hazard to themselves and every kayak in there, not to mention a nuisance. But it was my first time out there so I could be wrong?

Have a safe memorial day, and if you see a black seadoo blowing past you please take the hooks off your top water and chunk it at them,
ML
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: More Jerks than fish in Pierce Marsh?

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I have had that happen before at Lake Calaveras where a peckerhead was doing donuts around me. There is a 50 ft safety rule but I am not sure how enforceable it is.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Yeah, I don't think that they are doing anything enforce-ably wrong. I'd love to get rid of em though but I suppose blasting them to smithereens wouldn't go over too well. Friggin' idiots. :evil:

Sigh, some of that is the holiday weekend and some of it is just summer around bayou vista.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

It's even worse in Jones near where Fat Boys used to be.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

Had 1 completely drench me on Lake Travis while my son sat on the bank with his girlfriend, he said he almost hit me. I didn't turn around to look as I thought surely he wouldn't. But with my Ride 135 full of water I realized how wrong I was..
They're terrible on Lake Austin as well, I saw a couple of guys in a bass boat casting 2 oz weights @ them JetFleas....

I told a Game Warden about Lake Travis incident & he said did you get registration # ??? Um No I had my back to them & was spitting out Lake water....He said get it & report them, well by the time I turned around & them doing like 50mph they were too far away to get that of course??????
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

...you are not going back far enough into the marsh if you are still around people.
nick220722

Post by nick220722 »

We fished out there recently and had the same issue...almost got mowed down by one and the guy had his dog on his lap, so I'd assume he's a local. I understand they'll be around if you're not back in the marsh or paddling through the channel, but this guy would cut between me and a buddy probably no more than 10-20 feet from either of us. He would also head straight for us and get pretty close before changing directions.
dadavis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dadavis »

A SS Spook would feel real nice going about 50mph right in the side of the face!!! It would only take one time and I bet they wouldnt do that crap again.!
ShadyAngler
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by ShadyAngler »

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is unlawful for any person to:

Operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit him to bring such boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.on
Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.
Operate in a circular course around any other boat or PWC occupied by a person engaged in fishing, waterskiing, or similar activity.
NEXT TIME simply take out your camera phone or GoPro and take video of the cats acting like fools. Once you have video call TPWD or 911 and let them know your situation. VIDEO is your friend!
jakec1

Post by jakec1 »

3 oz weight and some of the old power pro braided line. If they are close enough it catches on them as they ride past when you cast they are too close.

The game warden could use the blood on the braid and the depth of the cut as markers for distance and speed.

Disclaimer before I get in trouble:
Yes I am being sarcastic. I am NOT recommending this to anyone.
mlyle

Post by mlyle »

It was a super high tide yesterday so I was fishing the 4-5 foot gut before the second big split on the right. I guess with the tide they were going way up in there, because we watched them go through areas further up that we had just paddled where it was no more than 8 inches deep. But thanks for the advice guys, all joking aside I think I'll just call a game warden next time and have them come have a nice conversation with me, might scare the jetfleas away
TPerkins

Post by TPerkins »

I can attest to the jet skier being a douche. I was working that same area, he blew right threw the middle of the OP and his buddy's. I hadn't worked the area late in the day in a long time. But I think I will be fishing sunrise for the most part from now on.
YAKA77ACK

Post by YAKA77ACK »

Those guys sound like jerks. I hope I don't experience that when I go out.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

soon enough they will run aground and be thown 50 yards and will then avoid the area all together :dance:
dwilliams35
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by dwilliams35 »

Ms addicted wrote:Yeah, I don't think that they are doing anything enforce-ably wrong. I'd love to get rid of em though but I suppose blasting them to smithereens wouldn't go over too well. Friggin' idiots. :evil:

Sigh, some of that is the holiday weekend and some of it is just summer around bayou vista.
What about the harassment law?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day....

If you fish anywhere on these holiday weekends, expect to come across people who don't realize or don't care that they are disturbing your peaceful commune with Mother Nature.
NamVetSwiftie

Post by NamVetSwiftie »

mlyle wrote:Has anyone else ever had problems with jet skis flying through pierce marsh between you and your buddies while your kayaking? Fished pierce marsh today (deep guts, live shrimp, every fish you can name was caught but undersized) and literally almost rocked out of my kayak a few times because Jet skis would blow past us. After the first 3 times we yelled at them and they would shrug as if they have right of way going 40 mph through the marsh.

ML
mlyle: did you have an orange flag on pole on your kayak? I use an old shower curtain rod with an orange safety flag mounted behind me. Our navy vet group just picked up two twin-50 cal. replicas for use on a Swift Boat static display in Coronado, CA. I wonder how one would look on my OK Torque!!??? Lock and Load Mike Foxtrot!!!!!!

Swiftie
jaguarpaw

Post by jaguarpaw »

I have my kayak armed with torpedoes just for the problematic PB or Jet Ski :mrgreen:
rico86

Post by rico86 »

The little jet ski gang cut through the shallow marsh on the left by the tracks and one guy ran his jetski up on an oyster bed. I just laughed and asked them "why do yall think there no boats cutting through here?" I exchanged several words with them afterwards but I was able not to get carried away. It was seven of them but they had no idea that i had 10 little friends with me :mrgreen:
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

You can't fix stupid... Or can you... Rico... :-D
mlyle

Post by mlyle »

NamVetSwiftie wrote:
mlyle wrote:Has anyone else ever had problems with jet skis flying through pierce marsh between you and your buddies while your kayaking? Fished pierce marsh today (deep guts, live shrimp, every fish you can name was caught but undersized) and literally almost rocked out of my kayak a few times because Jet skis would blow past us. After the first 3 times we yelled at them and they would shrug as if they have right of way going 40 mph through the marsh.

ML
mlyle: did you have an orange flag on pole on your kayak? I use an old shower curtain rod with an orange safety flag mounted behind me. Our navy vet group just picked up two twin-50 cal. replicas for use on a Swift Boat static display in Coronado, CA. I wonder how one would look on my OK Torque!!??? Lock and Load Mike Foxtrot!!!!!!

Swiftie
No sadly I do not have a large orange safety flag simply because I dont like how it moves my kayak in the wind. But something to definitely consider! If you have any extra 50 cals let me know, maybe put a cheap C02 paintball gun system in there for special occasions such as this. :lol:
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

A cheap throw away paintball rig sounds good, coat em up!
DX2

Post by DX2 »

They wouldn't been been going to far with a ball of 30# powerpro in there intake :lol: wear ring would of been wore out ! Some folks just act like they own everything .
WesC

Post by WesC »

You could carry about 10-12 ft of floating ski rope with a good 3oz weight on one end. toss it in their path as they whiz buy. it's hard to get that out of an impeller while you are on the water. I learned this while skiing behind the ole seadoo boats. Just saying. and before i get in trouble as well... im joking
Flippin' Crazee

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

I stopped 2 guys on jet skis in the marsh over by Harborwalk last week. We had 3 kids up past the bridge on the west side of the road going into Harborwalk in kayaks. We thought this would be a safe place for the kids, boats don't make it up that far. These guys wanted to go under the little bridge. Wasn't happening, i was afraid they would turn a corner at full speed and not see a kid in a kayak. I had a talk with them and explained that people were in the marsh kayaking and they needed to slow it down. They were polite, apologized and went on back where they came from.

I can understand wanting to explore the marsh on a jet ski, as a kid i wanted to do the same. Now i explore it in a yak :)