Good shot but could not find the buck this eve :(

HungOver

Good shot but could not find the buck this eve :(

Post by HungOver »

My heart is wrecking... I think I made a good shot at the big ole buck this eve.
I saw a lot of hair, meat, and even a small bone on the ground (no blood) but I could not find it.
I feel really hurt by wasted the nice buck which all of us want to avoid. I may take a half day of tomorrow and drive to the ranch to search for it again.
It could have jumped the fence over the neighbor land :( I just have to type it out here so yall can blast me :horse:
Last edited by HungOver on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Good shot but could not find the buck this eve :(

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Call the neigbor get permission to search... get 100' of string and a stake... make circles 5' at a time to find sign. stake that spot and repeat if you lose sign... Mark each sign with a flag... If this still doesnt work line the flags up and keep walking.
HungOver

Post by HungOver »

dumas wrote:My heart is wrecking too- I love Miley Cyrus :roll: You never should of left with out finding that deer :shock:
I searched for it after 30min into dark. I will ask my boss to take the second half day off to go to the ranch tomorrow.
I don't know the meat is still ok if I find it but at least I will try to...

And thank you for the string and stake idea...
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

It is cold still so it will be fine for a while... At least 12 hrs, just gut it as soon as you find it. If you are near SA holler and I will help you look. Sounds like a rifle shot in high ribs with bone and fur and meat... Maybe a leg but i hope not...
HungOver

Post by HungOver »

Thank you for the offer SAHunter but I hunt up here in central area.
I used the 243 and the way it ran does not look like it hit the leg.
If it got hit at the rib area then how far you think it can run?
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

2-300 yards depending on how high or forward/back you hit. If you hit forward you either blew his brisket off and wont find him or you blew his legs out and walked past him searching. If it was high lung maybe 150-200yd and he wont leave a blood trail at all really until the lungs fill. If it was far back in the gut and rib 200-300 max if you didnt bump his first bed. You should find feed or grass in the blood along with bone and a foul smell at the area of impact... You will smell him before you see him. Cut out any off color meat but anything not touched by the bullet and guts should be good if it stays cold. Wounded deer frequently run down hill, toward high cover, into ravines or toward water. Look for something like that in the direction he ran. Chance are he piled up there. Let me know how it goes. I have walked past a downed deer a bunch of times in low light only to backtrack the next morning and find them way closer.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Any luck?
HungOver

Post by HungOver »

Nope, I spend all afternoon but gave up (no where found on my property). Track was washed out because of rain and I think it jumped over the fence.
I took the GPS with me and the direction it ran to the corner so I don't know which of the 3 neighbor properties it jumped.
There are lots of bone where I shot it (I mean a lot) and I could not image how it can run with the shot like that.
I will ground myself the rest of this season for this :(
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Go sight your rifle in.... Sounding more and more like a leg
HungOver

Post by HungOver »

I checked the sight and it shot about < an inch lower right (~60-70 yards).
I don't think it is the main problem but maybe with wind and human error :horse:
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

If you're in the central area (I'm in Austin), send me a PM next time. My dogs would love to help out and they need the practice. Needs to be within 6-8 hours of the shooting though as my Catahoulas are hot trackers.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Deer also like to go under trees. Next time search under the lowest of low hanging cedar trees, juniper, etc if you didn't this time.

I'm not blasting you or your search efforts, just trying to give some tips.

I'm truly sorry that you lost that deer because I know it is gut wrenching. I've never lost a deer but that is mainly because my daughter has eagle eyes and tracks everything down. I know of a few 3 legged deer that have been wandering around and if it was a leg shot, it has a chance to survive but I hope it expired because I wouldn't want any animal suffering.

SAHunter, that is some really good advice on search patterns and such. I agree with you on the meat. If it was in the 20's like it has been here, that deer would still be ok after 12 hours.
HungOver

Post by HungOver »

Cadiyak Sam, I wish you read this post earlier. I live in Pflugerville :) but I guess it is too late now.
And as I said I'm hanging my gun for the rest of the season for this~~~

Thank you all for your help and thought...
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

HungOver wrote:Cadiyak Sam, I wish you read this post earlier. I live in Pflugerville :) but I guess it is too late now.
And as I said I'm hanging my gun for the rest of the season for this~~~

Thank you all for your help and thought...
Dang. Well I'm not going anywhere. Don't get too discouraged though. Everyone makes a bad shot now and then. The dogs also do pretty much any other kind of blood tracking as well, so keep that in mind. Good luck.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Tuff break but it happens. I would bet on a hit to the leg. Amazing how a deer can run through that much wreckage. You prolly had good blood up high not much on the ground. He was prolly still hauling a$$ on three legs. Look close at the fence line. I bet he went through the fence not over and was not very graceful. Will prolly be some hair in the wire could put you in the right pasture prolly headed to a common bedding area. That is as close as I could get you. Your neighbor will prolly find the rack eventually. A loss like that hurts like hell. Took me two seasons to get over one. If you did your best that is the best you could do. You are a hunter go get on your next one and best of luck.