May 2015 Flood

Texjbq85

May 2015 Flood

Post by Texjbq85 »

I figured we should start a thread dedicated to flood discussion and pictures. I primarily fish on the San Marcos river and had recently gotten back to the Blanco since it was flowing again. Obliviously, the loss of life and property are so awful. I'm also interested to watch the river's themselves recover and wonder how long it will be till it's safe to go on normal fishing float trip. It's very likely that it will be like exploring a new river as flood of this magnitude reshape entire sections.

Wimberley and San Marcos had their turn Saturday night & Sunday. Looks like the rest of Texas had theirs last night. The Blanco river was over I-35 on the northside of San Marcos. If you know how high that bridge is you understand how insane that is. There were hay bays strewn in the median of 35. Here are some picture from around my area.

This was taken where Fulton Ranch road crosses the Blanco River about 1 1/2 miles downstream from Wimberley . Note the tree was not from anywhere near where this picture was taken.

This was taken off of Bogie Drive in San Marcos, which is next to Quail Creek Golf Course and across from Gary Job Center. All the homes here sustained major, major damage (as in 8-9 feet of flowing water) and I imagine they don't have flood insurance due to how far from the river they are. You can see a school bus.

This is off Bogie Dr as well. It gives you an idea of the water level.

This is the Blanco looking downstream from the Highway 80 bridge in San Marcos around 11 am Sunday, it had obviously been much higher. 3 months ago this river was flowing at 0 cfs.

This is looking at the Blanco just above the Uhland Rd crossing. The Fraternity house there had about 5 feet of water through it at the peak.

A friend of mine's house that flooded.

b737

Re: May 2015 Flood

Post by b737 »

The Blanco doesn't flood often, but when it does. Now people understand why all the old homestead homes, 1800's early 1900's, are all built on hills or ridge lines, way away from the water. People still should remember the flood of 1929 , smaller flood in the sixties, and now the flood of 2015, about the same as the 1929 flood. Canyon lake saved New Braunfels this time. No flood control lakes on the Blanco. Canyon Lake still not letting water out, 15 feet above pool, to lower the flow through Bastrop, Gonzales, Cuero, Victoria.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Tex, I fish this spot of the blanco specifically. If I am not mistaken, behind you (and as you are facing) to your left there is somewhat of a farm set back from the road 50-100 yards...and accross from that is a high game fenced area, right?!? Then in front of you the hill continues to dip down to a low water crossing with several rental cabins on the other side of the river?

I have been really curious to see how that stretch of the river looks, as I know some of those horror stories we are hearing about occurred just a mile or so up river (if that). I really hope every there was ok. It's wierd but I feel some sort of connection with that particular spot.

Went to school at Tx State from 05-11, and fished there probably 25 times, as recently as three months ago. Some of my absolute best trips have been there fly fishing or on ultra light tackle. That stretch of the river is so beautiful with those canyon-esque walls on the south side of the river. Even caught my pb largemouth about half a mile down from the bridge (is the bridge still there?). Such a serene area, and no one ever ran me off either.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Our prayers are with all the river folk that have suffered so severely with this recent flood. It will be quite awhile before things return to any kind of normal- and even more so for those who lost loved ones.

These floods will provide a rare opportunity for whitewater rafting and kayaking at the Guad location below the dam. The releases may be too dangerous at first, but you can check with outfitters for the best times and perhaps have a few day window to take advantage. It may take a few weeks after any future heavy rains for the river debris to settle out, so that the full beauty and good fishing returns.

PM
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

b737 wrote:The Blanco doesn't flood often, but when it does. Now people understand why all the old homestead homes, 1800's early 1900's, are all built on hills or ridge lines, way away from the water.
I've been around a while and in my 60's and I remember what the hill country used to look like before populations grew and developers decended on the hill country.
As mentioned most homes were on high ground and hill tops not just for the view.
I see too many homes built now in low meadows dangerously close to dry creeks and washes that are just mere low areas that look all too harmless unless there is a lot of rain, then those small dry creeks become rivers overnight.
I pray for those who are suffering trying to make it through this, and there is no words anyone can say for those who lost loved ones, but to just pray for them.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Mdd,

Yes that's the spot, it's just up from University Camp. Everything is totally destroyed. It looks like a scene out of Vietnam. Giant cypress trees split in half and stripped bare of their bark. I have no idea if the roads still there because the water was still high, but I would imagine it's not.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Well I am sorry to hear that. I really hope everyone was able to get out before it was too late.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

As mentioned most homes were on high ground and hill tops not just for the view.
Building close to the river is beautiful, but doing that is just about like building a beach house right on the beach. Somewhere along the line something really bad is going to happen.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

P.S.

Thanks for the pictures. That looks like a massive tree you were standing near, and it was ripped right out of the ground, or the bank collapsed around it. It appears gigantic.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

USACE is supposed to be upping the outflow of the Guadalupe to 5000 cfs in the next few days to release from the lake. Get your whitewater trips in while you can folks!
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

I was over on FB, tracking down friends, when a guy posted that they are closing the Horseshoe Bend area of the Brazos, and all services were being suspended as of 8 PM today, so a mandatory evacuation order is in effect. All the gates @ Possum Kingdom are now open, following a quick five foot rise on the Brazos--apparently much beyond their expectations. You now know everything that I heard, but...guys, do be safe! You may now resume fishing.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Went yesterday afternoon and took some pictures downstream of San Marcos.

From 101 (Old Bastrop Highway): This is one of my main put in/take out's :(

Scull Rd: This is another one of my main put in/take out's :(