Blue River Oklahoma Adventure

texasflycaster

Blue River Oklahoma Adventure

Post by texasflycaster »

I am looking at trying something unusual in July, and kayak fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma. Is anyone interested? It would be weekday as I have trips booked mostly on weekends. I look at the Blue River in the dead of winter while fishing for trout, and always wonder what it would be like during the hot times. Curiosity now gets the best of me!
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Blue River Oklahoma Adventure

Post by GoDoe »

I would be interested in hooking up. I am in Norman, OK and would be willing to meet you there schedule allowing. I have never been on the Blue so I would just be company.

I fly fish the coast all the time so experience is not an issue but local knowledge I am lacking.

There used to be some guys on TKF from Ada, OK. They might know more if you don't already.

Shannon, right?

John Proctor
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Heading up to the blue to do some warm water fly fishing is something that I've been thinking about also. Supposed to be a real good fishery for smallmouth and spots. Been some buzz about it on the blueriver fishing forum.

Only been up there a couple of times trout fishing so I don't know about the water there. Never really thought about it being kayak water but I'll go along if there's enough notice.
CR
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CR »

The Blue River near Tishomingo or near Durant? I don't know about near Durant, but near Tish would require some portage areas.
texasflycaster

Post by texasflycaster »

Tishomingo area. I always fish the catch-and-release trout area above 7, and there's a lot of open water there - big pools. Put in down low on east side (close to water) and work up to first falls. Above that, not much worth a portage. The catch-and-kill area, where the low water crossing and park are, don't seem like they would be worthwhile for kayaks. Now you have me wondering about that Durant stretch. Snakey regardless.
texasflycaster

Post by texasflycaster »

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation report for Blue River is pretty darn good right now.