stolen bed extender

fhrooter72

stolen bed extender

Post by fhrooter72 »

I got on the water for the 1st time in a long time Saturday morning. I didn't have high expectations, I just wanted some quiet time. The day before, I bought a truck bed extender that attaches to the receiver hitch to feel more comfortable strapping down the kayak. Launched early Saturday morning from Flamingo Rd. In Hitchcock near Harbor Walk and returned mid after noon to find the bed extender GONE and some shovels missing from the back of the truck. Luckily the low lifes didn't break into the vehicle. I got my quiet time on the water but it cost a little more than I expected. I guess next time I'll spend a little extra to get the hitch lock pins. :?

Oh, and the only fish i was able to reel in was a small croaker. But, it was still relaxing and enjoyable which was the purpose of the trip. :?
Attachments
20130427_074508.jpg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: stolen bed extender

Post by TroutSupport.com »

hmmmm ... We're going to have to do something about theft... If I wasn't editing a video i'd form a posse and we'd do a stake out.. it's really gotten out of hand.

Sorry for your loss bro... sucks rocks.
CGGunnersm8

Post by CGGunnersm8 »

Oh, just once I wish I would happen apon some low life stealing something. Still want to pay someone back for stealing a radio out of my car years ago.
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

Know it shouldn't matter but did u have a lock on ur trailer pin? Just wondering if they took the effort to cut ur lock toget ur hitch
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

I usually take mine off and break it down and put it in the cab, takes a while longer but makes me feel better
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

Northern Tool has them on sale for $99 and they have a $20 coupon if you sign up for their mailing list.
fhrooter72

Post by fhrooter72 »

OneFishTwoFish wrote:Know it shouldn't matter but did u have a lock on ur trailer pin? Just wondering if they took the effort to cut ur lock toget ur hitch
I didn't have a lock on the trailer pin. Right when I launched I thought to myself that I should take it off but convinced myself it'll be fine. Won't make that mistake again.
fhrooter72

Post by fhrooter72 »

5x5 wrote:Northern Tool has them on sale for $99 and they have a $20 coupon if you sign up for their mailing list.
I know, that's how I got this one.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I was talking to some guys at Lowes and they said the same thing happened to a guy they know this last weekend too.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I know its a hassle, but stick your extender in the cab.
Dragnet

Post by Dragnet »

I was wondering, too, when are we going to form some vigilante stakeouts. No disrespect to the LEO's, but they can't be everywhere. I'm reminded of the way ranchers in the old days used to deal with horse and cattle thieves. Or the way the Italians used to deal with problems when the police couldn't/wouldn't help. This has got to stop.quote="TroutSupport.com"]hmmmm ... We're going to have to do something about theft... If I wasn't editing a video i'd form a posse and we'd do a stake out.. it's really gotten out of hand.

Sorry for your loss bro... sucks rocks.[/quote]
braumeister

Post by braumeister »

Put them in the cab and you are likely to have to replace your windows as well as the extender. Mine is in 5 pieces that connect together with hitch pins so the locking receiver pin would not do a lot of good although I use one anyway. It seems we just have to plan on replacing stuff on a regular basis or stay at home. It is really sad what this society has become. You cannot count on passers by to stop a theft either. I used to have a Corvette with a built in alarm. Quite a few times I forgot to turn it off and no one ever bothered to challenge me and seldom even looked my way so I finally quit using the alarm since it was useless. One of my brothers had his shop burglarized so he got an alarm. He came home from work and found the alarm blaring and his shop empty again so he got a big mean dog. This time they killed the dog and cleaned him out. Insurance is the only thing that can help until they cancel your policy for too many claims.
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

Dragnet wrote:I was wondering, too, when are we going to form some vigilante stakeouts. No disrespect to the LEO's, but they can't be everywhere. I'm reminded of the way ranchers in the old days used to deal with horse and cattle thieves. Or the way the Italians used to deal with problems when the police couldn't/wouldn't help. This has got to stop.quote="TroutSupport.com"]hmmmm ... We're going to have to do something about theft... If I wasn't editing a video i'd form a posse and we'd do a stake out.. it's really gotten out of hand.

[/quote]

Seriously we need some trunk monkeys to watch out over the launch sites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUc ... =endscreen
Cave Diver

Post by Cave Diver »

I used to worry about this exact same thing. Although expensive in relation to the extender, I have two of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVSIOI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One for the hitch receiver and one where the extension and cross support connect. Fits on a 2008 Dodge Ram. Make sure to get right size pin, but I don't worry about it anymore.

-Tom
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

5x5 wrote:Northern Tool has them on sale for $99 and they have a $20 coupon if you sign up for their mailing list.
Harbor Freight has them for $69.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... d+extender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

My friends like to give me a hard time because just about everything I own has a lock on it, however, I can say that nothing has ever been stolen when secured properly (locked up). I've heard quite a few stories about boats, trailers, bed extenders, kayaks and all types of fishing gear being stolen. A simple $10 lock will solve most problems.

Every so often I look at other trailers in the parking lot when I have my boat out. You would be suprised at how many of these fancy dual axle trailers are sitting there begging to be stolen without a lock.

At least make it hard for someone to steal your stuff, fellas! Buy a lock!
JSimpson65

Post by JSimpson65 »

cudagreg wrote:I usually take mine off and break it down and put it in the cab, takes a while longer but makes me feel better
Same here. Only takes a minute or so and I do it every time. Sucks that this is the world we live in.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Wire a treble hook through the pin and keep dikes and a billy stik on board :twisted:
RexDelRey

Post by RexDelRey »

Sucks man! I just got a truck bed extender. Gotta go get locks now for sure. Harbor freight has them for $69... but they usually move really fast and I called two other stores and they had none is stock. I had to order mine online.
stressfreefishing89

Post by stressfreefishing89 »

i feel you bro, got my trolley stolen from fat boys about 2 months ago, that piss me off specially cause i made it myself
Sand Trout

Post by Sand Trout »

Gofish! wrote:
Dragnet wrote:I was wondering, too, when are we going to form some vigilante stakeouts. No disrespect to the LEO's, but they can't be everywhere. I'm reminded of the way ranchers in the old days used to deal with horse and cattle thieves. Or the way the Italians used to deal with problems when the police couldn't/wouldn't help. This has got to stop.quote="TroutSupport.com"]hmmmm ... We're going to have to do something about theft... If I wasn't editing a video i'd form a posse and we'd do a stake out.. it's really gotten out of hand.

Seriously we need some trunk monkeys to watch out over the launch sites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUc ... =endscreen[/quote]

I'll take one Trunk Monkey to go, please.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Its a loss and a hated one. But, I bet you will think about more expensive stuff being stolen even more so. Don't stop at your launch site, check out your home. I know from experience. If I can find my old extension I will let you know.
ShamusW

Post by ShamusW »

i back my truck up until the bed extender is against something solid like a steel fence/sign post or a tree. That way they can't slide it out and run off with it. You could try painting the next one bright pink, maybe a fusia, might stop most theives from taking it.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Guys, hitch locks aren't that expensive. It's sad, but that's the reality of it. Many people steal solely for the thrill. The ones we catch all sound like a broken record; they think they're entitled to steal from you because 'you can afford it'.
Property crime don't do no time...........
weapon11

Post by weapon11 »

After I build a aluminum bed extender the first thing brought was a hitch lock sorry they took yours