Tcd and slp

TxBankFisher

Tcd and slp

Post by TxBankFisher »

I showed up at tcd, per lost lakes open invite. The wind was bad as he mentioned in his report. After just a little while, I had pulled only gaftops. I decided I wouldn't put myself through that again. We agreed to try the floodgate. It was packed and the current was ripping. We were supposed to meet at Galveston state park. A glance while driving past ruled that out. I ended up at San Louis pass. It was nice and flat, but crowded with swimmers. It's weird because there are signs everywhere telling you not to swim. In the back of my mind were the numerous warnings I've read on this site about noobies and slp, so I proceeded with caution. I launched into a tidal pool on the Galveston island side, north of the toll bridge. On the way out, the surf was pounding me. I trolled a shrimp around the mouth of the pass, nearly to the gulf. Common sense told me to stop before that point. A few places I tried to stop and anchor, but 40' of anchor rope never found bottom. I hooked two blacktips and a bonnet head in the deeper part of the pass, before I spotted some perfect flats. As I got closer to the flats, I saw backs, confirming my suspicions. I had never seen backs or tailing reds until then so it was like a kid seeing candy the first time. I watched trout supports first redfish video, awhile back and quickly put the info to use. It may have been about the third cast into a pothole when my bait was slammed, rod pliable as a cooked noodle. What was a boring day suddenly exploded to life with a mud boil in about 18" of water I tried to supplement my drag with my thumb, but it burned my skin and a bull red soon spooled my reel. I rigged my backup, a flounder rod and tried again. After multiple blow ups, I had caught quite a few different drum type fish. Nearly out of shrimp, I grabbed the last good size one and told him" it's all up to you, buddy. I'm counting on ya". Cast him out, and viola! It exploded but no fish on. I started to reel it In and pack up when it got slammed 10' from the yak. After a short fight, I had my first yak red, and my first shallow red. I can't wait to try some marsh reds now that I've tasted a little bit of it. The lesson learned was to keep grinding. Hunt for fish instead of spots. Thanks tobin
TxBankFisher

Re: Tcd and slp

Post by TxBankFisher »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368972957.466843.jpg
The only pic from the day. We sat at the beach drinking til sunset and enjoyed the rest of the day, looking at the lonely vessel and trading fish tales with the skunked surf fisherman...
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

That was a good report TxBankFisher, way to stick with it and grind it out.
kayakfisher

Post by kayakfisher »

It was nice meeting you. Let's fish together soon!
jaguarpaw

Post by jaguarpaw »

Glad you took some caution at SLP it can be treacherous and many swimmers have drowned there .
What bothers me so much are the children swimming in the SLP with parents watching . WTF .
TxBigTuna

Post by TxBigTuna »

Definatly agree about the little kids not even just for there safety with current and drop offs but have had them walk straight into my lines and then there parents have the nerve to tell you to watch out for there kids :evil:
TxBankFisher

Post by TxBankFisher »

Definitely lost lake, maybe I can try anahuac with you one day