Fishing alone

fishstyker88

Fishing alone

Post by fishstyker88 »

Just wondering how many people fish alone and do you ever see a problem with it I know it's always good to have a buddy to go with but may not be available or in my case no one I know has a kayak so sometimes I fish alone
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing alone

Post by karstopo »

I fish alone quite a bit. I don't go BTB alone. Definitely has some added risks. Imbedded hooks (happened to me while alone), getting sick, equipment/kayak failures, injuries, snakebites, stingray hits, among other problems would be easier to deal with a fishing partner.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

I fish freshwater alone all the time... BUT I always wear my pfd even in shallow water...
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

All I do is fish alone. It would be nice to have a kayak fishing buddy though.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

I fish alone a lot. But what I do is file a "Flight plan" with my wife. That way she knows if I don't show up at a certain time she will call to see if I'm "On fish" and forgot the time. Or if something has happened she knows where to start looking for me.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Shaun Russell wrote:I fish alone a lot. But what I do is file a "Flight plan" with my wife. That way she knows if I don't show up at a certain time she will call to see if I'm "On fish" and forgot the time. Or if something has happened she knows where to start looking for me.
X2. Sometimes I tell a buddy fisherman too who understands where some out of the way marsh is better than my wife would.
fishstyker88

Post by fishstyker88 »

Thanks for all the responses ill be fishing alone for the time Being till I buy another yak for a Buddy or find someone with a yak close to the Cleveland, Conroe, humble area and as for PFD I carry one but lookin to get a good comfortable kayak fishing PFD I'm lookin at either the NRS chinook or stolhquest fishermen PFD any recomendations?
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I prefer not to fish alone, but there are times when ur fishing buddy cancels, so I head out to protected areas. Never done BTB, but that I would never do alone.

I have PFD on, VHF radio, cell phone with navionics charts, water, snacks, and I report when I get back on land if not too late at night. Either way they can find me with the apple GPS app at any time.
fishstyker88

Post by fishstyker88 »

I mostly only bass fish alone I wouldn't head for saltwater by myself and certainly wouldn't do btb alone
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I fish alone most of the time. I enjoy it. Or I should say I learned to enjoy it. I've got a lot of fishing buddies, but none that are dependable. When you agree at an 8am drop in time and they show up after 10am, I just quit calling them. I understand a little tardy every now and then with a courtesy phone call, but after a while of that, and never any courtesy call, and sometimes not showing up at all, I got fed up. Now they always ask why I never call them when I go. I always wear my PFD and always have a great time. The wife knows where I am and I always bring the necessary things I need "just in case".

And for the record, I don't call Barnacle Bill anymore because of his blatant disregard for my "no speedo while yakking with buddies" rule. :D
fishstyker88

Post by fishstyker88 »

I don't mind fishing alone but it would be nice sometimes to have a fishing buddy on the chance that something goes wrong but i try to take every precaution i can so I don't put myself in a bad situation

As for speedos yes a no speedo while yakkin with buddies rule should be enforced 100% of the time no exceptions haha
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

I fish alone most of the time and did so this morning on the Guad in Ingram tx. I find it to be more peaceful. The last two times I talked someone into going all they did was stay next to me and talk and talk and talk. I like to relax and fish. My wife is a great fishing partner when she can make it. She also likes to relax and fish instead of talking.

I wear the pfd because I like to make it home afterwards.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I fish freshwater alone 99% of the time. I file a flight plan with my wife and also have one of those apps that allows her to see my location based on my phone signal (which works for all the freshwater around New Braunfels). I have a PFD accessible (in the back cargo area of my Ride) all the time but don't wear it unless I'm on a lake.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I fish freshwater alone pretty often. I always have my life jacket accessible, but I only wear it in lakes, new routes, or areas with careless powerboaters. I do not fish BTB alone, and I always wear my life jacket unless I am freediving or spearfishing. My wife always knows where I am fishing and generally what time I will be finished.
smokedcuda

Post by smokedcuda »

I have started texting my GPS coordinates home while im on the water alone, typically send my initial location as I always mark the truck so i can get back in case I get turned around, fog, etc etc. Since Im marking the launch point anyway its just as easy to send the text also. If I move a mile or so I will re-text the new location. Kind of narrows the search field if I dont show up at home, and its kind of cool to go back on goolge earth and check out were I was.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

fishstyker88 wrote:Thanks for all the responses ill be fishing alone for the time Being till I buy another yak for a Buddy or find someone with a yak close to the Cleveland, Conroe, humble area and as for PFD I carry one but lookin to get a good comfortable kayak fishing PFD I'm lookin at either the NRS chinook or stolhquest fishermen PFD any recomendations?
Both PFD's mentioned are great. I picked up a Mustang inflatable the other day. In this Texas heat it has been very nice.
t100

Post by t100 »

I'm in the alone crowd as well. ALWAYS wear my pfd. When you REALLY NEED it, accessing might not be an option. Wife gets the float plan as well.
Midcoast Mark
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Midcoast Mark »

I fish alone most of the time, but then again most of my fishing is in the marsh near our house.
Flight plan with the wife always, including where, when expected back.
Carry cell phone in Otterbox at all times.
I used to carry a SPOT as well, but have gotten out of the habit.

I learn more fishing alone but have more fun fishing with buddies.
CptSavAMullet
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CptSavAMullet »

I fish alone all the time. But i make sure not to put myself in any situation that might be risky. I always err on the side of extreme caution.
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

To me One of the best part's of kayak fishing is the freedom to leave the group and fish a spot that others dont wanna.Unlike on a pb your stuck like chuck. I enjoy fishing with people and dont mind going alone. An extra eye and hand never hurt's. Sometimes its just good to get out there with your own instinincts and see what happen's..
basskiller84

Post by basskiller84 »

I fish alone most of the time. Most of my friends dont have a yak or boat.
pop1655

Post by pop1655 »

Fish alone all the time. Just came off actually.
But never anywhere questionable, just local.
Wife knows place and time to be off.
Always wear real pfd when by myself. No inflatables when alone.
Also keep pfd on until yak is loaded and I'm off the ramp.
All of my near catastrophies and real catastrophies to date have been on the ramp.
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

I don't have weekends off, so when I go, it's usually with my girlfriend (who has the same days off), and when she is unavailable, I go it alone. Sometimes it is relaxing, sometimes a partner is desired to have conversations with and talk with. Plus there is the safety factor of having a group. I would love to go on more fishing trips with people. Difficult with my mon tues wed weekend though
JoeFriday

Post by JoeFriday »

I have no concerns fishing freshwater alone. While a good swimmer, I wear a PFD 100% of the time in the yak. If I am fishing a place that is new and not widely fished, I try to get someone to go with me.

I went in a boat with a buddy fishing after I started yak fishing. He saw me pulling out my PFD and told me that he had extra lifejackets. I use a NRS Chinook, and responded with its more than a lifejacket, it's like a utility vest. I've got my clippers and various things at hand on it which just makes it flat out convenient to have on rather than a burden. Before getting into yak fishing, I would have never worn a PFD 100% of the time. Now, I likely always will.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

JoeFriday wrote:I have no concerns fishing freshwater alone. While a good swimmer, I wear a PFD 100% of the time in the yak. If I am fishing a place that is new and not widely fished, I try to get someone to go with me.

I went in a boat with a buddy fishing after I started yak fishing. He saw me pulling out my PFD and told me that he had extra lifejackets. I use a NRS Chinook, and responded with its more than a lifejacket, it's like a utility vest. I've got my clippers and various things at hand on it which just makes it flat out convenient to have on rather than a burden. Before getting into yak fishing, I would have never worn a PFD 100% of the time. Now, I likely always will.
I just got the Chinook a few weeks ago. Best PFD I have ever owned. I love that thing. I agree it's more like a utility vest, but my wife makes me take it off while driving. :lol: