100%
WS Commander 140
No votes

Total votes: 1

topnotch286

Taking the plunge... need input

Post by topnotch286 »

Hello all....

Im new to the site and this is my first real post. Ive been fishing the coast for 20+ yrs (boat and wade), mostly East Matty. Looking for a new challenge... I have been researching kayaks for a while now and have been lurking around TKF reading reading and reading. I know the best way is to drive them first, but unfortunately with my work situation it is nearly impossible to work that out, so im willing to take the chance. I bought my wife a Diablo Chupacabra a couple of years ago but I dont really like the SUP style of it so I have never rigged it out. I have fished BTB from a Tarpon 16 and found in too tippy for me @ 6ft 230lbs.

It will be used mainly in the bays/flats. I need something that will be relatively stable, comfortable for fairly long rides (5-10miles), handle the ICW / open bays and not completely wear my ass out before I get where im goin. Im not a fair weather fisherman. I can and will get out in the wind/cold/rain/chop. I also would like for it to handle shallow mud flats without me having to drag it. I need it to haul a small cooler and all my gear. With that said, I think I've narrowed it down to two boats. The Malibu X Factor and the WS Commander 140. I dont think im way off base, but if I am please someone square me away.

ALL input is appreciated and I plan to buy something this weekend. Im ready to fish... looking forward to getting to know some of you on here and the water!
Poolio

Re: Taking the plunge... need input

Post by Poolio »

WS has a better rep for longevity and service. That's enough for me to steer away from Malibu, though they do have some trick yaks.

-Poo
Spot_n_tails1

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

i would go with the WS, but i am 6' 210 and i run in a hobie quest 13 and a jackson cruise 12, the hobie for trout and rough conditions and the cruise for redfish. i love them both and are very stable for me, i have learned that the kayak is up to the captain and how it works for you. So take your chance but give it time for you to learn its capabilities.
gssterl

Post by gssterl »

I think you would be more comfortable in a Cuda 14. Both seats in your listed boats will wear on you during a log day. I took the plunge on a cuda 14 without ever trying it and it turned out to be a great decision. Second boat was a Tarpon 120 and I couldn't get over how uncomfortable the seat was.
topnotch286

Post by topnotch286 »

I have looked at the Cuda 14 and I do like it. My concern is that it would have stability issues when you combine my size with the high seat. Any testimonials on this?
falcon2

Post by falcon2 »

If you want a cuda 14, call david at kayak Instruction. He has some 2012 models for $1000.
I just got two from him it was $2300 shiped and tax. Havent rigged them out yet.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

You should be fine at that size in a Cuda. I've seen guys both shorter and taller than you but around that weight in them. They do have a new model coming out called The Big Rig. Its for the bigger kayaker but I'm not sure you'd fit in that category. I'm thinking guys that are more around 250+.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Maybe you are aware, but you can't really take a Commander btb... You'll be ok on the flats in it, though. X2 on the Cuda. I weigh 230 and find it to be a great blend of speed/stability.
topnotch286

Post by topnotch286 »

Yea, I understand about the BTB and the Commander. I dont have any desire at this time to do that anyway. About the only time I could see trying anything like that would be on those occasional, super flat, lapping up on the beach summer time days, and it wouldn't be any further than a couple hundred yards max, to fish for trout or the occasional jack. Trust me... I got myself in a bind once in a Tarpon 16, lost about $800 in gear and will never try that again, especially with a a Commander.

How would the Commander handle big boat wakes in the ICW or the occasional trip running into white caps in the open bay? I understand it both would likely require paying attention but is it doable?
BigRig'em

Post by BigRig'em »

topnotch286 wrote:Yea, I understand about the BTB and the Commander. I dont have any desire at this time to do that anyway. About the only time I could see trying anything like that would be on those occasional, super flat, lapping up on the beach summer time days, and it wouldn't be any further than a couple hundred yards max, to fish for trout or the occasional jack. Trust me... I got myself in a bind once in a Tarpon 16, lost about $800 in gear and will never try that again, especially with a a Commander.

How would the Commander handle big boat wakes in the ICW or the occasional trip running into white caps in the open bay? I understand it both would likely require paying attention but is it doable?
The Jackson BigRig will be out in a couple of weeks is what the Jackson folks told me in an email yesterday. The boat will be super stable being 37" wide and is suppose to be 13.2' long and will take care of business. Get it rudder equipped and take off. It will not be super fast but I believe will paddle fine. The downside is it's new and it will cost you in excess of $1700. The Cuda 14 is currently Jackson's fastest boat and is 30.5" wide and would cost you a lot less if you find one used which might be your best bet if you're not wanting to wait for the BigRig. Actually rico86 has one listed on here for $1100. Either way I believe jackson is the way to go! They are also in the process of making a new boat specifically designed for btb fishermen going to be called The Kraken that I hear will be in their lineup in 2015. Hope this helps with your decision and feel free to give me a call if you like, Roy-8324570675
P.S. I have 2-Cuda14s and on the Big Rig list at FTU
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

I would suggest the Cuda 14 as well. It's a great boat. Super stable, high carry capacity, fast and tracks well, and has a lot of space for your gear. And as mentioned above, the seat is super comfy and makes those longer trips more than bearable.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

I have had a Malibu Stealth 14 (same hull as X Factor) and currently have (selling to get a Frontier 12 or Tuna so fiancé can come, or I would keep it) WS Commander 140. If you don't plan on fishing BTB or super rough water, the Commander is an outstanding boat. So easy to stand and fish/paddle from. Being able to brace your legs on the side walls of the boat makes you feel more stable than I ever felt standing in my Stealth 14.

-The Stealth was a pain in the A$$ to load/unload/move by myself. I'm a big guy too. The Commander weighs like 70lbs maybe? Super easy to move around by yourself, can support it on your shoulder

-Stealth was a barge in the water, and compared to it, the Commander paddles incredibly faster and just as stable I'd say

-Stealth seating sucks. Typical SOT kayak seat. Commander seat is great, adjustable, but I never even bring it and stay on the captains perch for covering distance and stand the rest of my time out flinging my fly rod.

I will say I took my Commander out in conditions that were really rough off Seabrook last year, and after taking a boat wake (pretty big one) and some big waves I had to use my hand bilge pump to get some water out. Just be smart about where you are and the conditions, I was not that day and it could have been worse. These are just my experiences, I still loved my Stealth too for what it was, a portable fishing barge with livewell/beer cooler! Good luck.

-Matt

edit: and I can fit a 25 qt igloo marine cooler behind the captains perch and my crate behind that
softailman

Post by softailman »

X4 on the Cuda 14. I take mine BTB as well as the flats and love it. The boat is made for fishing.
gssterl

Post by gssterl »

I am a little shorter and about the same weight. High position on the cuda is a little tippy at first, but you get the hang of it quite easily. The low position is probably higher than any other traditional seat kayak, so regardless, you are sitting higher than normal. I don't think you can gro wrong with the Cuda 14, does well in all conditions. IMO you shouldn't be limited by the sit inside and don't be uncomfortable on a traditional kayak seat.
falcon2

Post by falcon2 »

Im telling you Kayak Instruction has brand new cudas, 2012 for $1000. He is in Texas.
http://vimeo.com/80109344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skunk factory

Post by skunk factory »

my malibu x factor could hold over 600lbs and had ample storage and a dry ride, also i am happy with my moken 14, but for deeper or btb i use my pro angler 14. all good choices
KayaKing

Post by KayaKing »

I've owned the Cuda 14 and I loved it. Sold it to get something a little wider and shorter so I went with the tuna, most say it's to big but I love it, plenty of room and very stable. You won't win a race but I prefer comfort over speed. I was Aransas pass last summer with it and it was great..
Aaron
MRSRIDE
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by MRSRIDE »

I would suggest the Wilderness System Ride 135 for your stats and places/conditions to fish... it sounded like you aren't sitting around waiting for the best of conditions so the two models you mentioned may not suit your needs. While the Commander is an awesome kayak and there is a lot to be grateful for in a sit-inside during the colder months it may feel "light" and the X-factor will wear your ass out... the 13.5 foot Ride will paddle like a dream and hold all the gear you need while being a comfortable all around kayak.
:)
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8Kzo_H6sk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Cuda vote. Ive owned 4 other Kayaks and this one is by far my favorite for multi purpose kayaking.
topnotch286

Post by topnotch286 »

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I have been reading every one of your posts as you posted while looking for deals. As of today, I am a proud owner of a Commander 140 for my first fishing kayak. I came across a deal I just couldn't pass up. However, with everything I am seeing in regard to the Cuda 14, I am fairly certain I'll be adding one to the family. Maybe I can talk my wife into selling her Diablo and scoopin up a Cuda. She rarely uses it anyway.

I have a pass for next weekend so I will be lookin to wet a hook somewhere. If anyone is lookin for a tag along let me know and I'll see if I can work it out. I am an experienced fisherman, just not in a kayak... so fair warning lol.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Congrats, you'll love the Commander. It is nice staying 100% dry this time of the year!

A tip on standing, brace your legs on the side walls of the kayak, so from the captains perch just kinda stand up bow legged with your feet about shoulder width apart. Practice a little bit and you'll be fine.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

You want to fish or paddle? Go Hobie!
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

...or spend less money and add a troll motor
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Mirage peddle system much quieter than a noisy trolling motor.
jtzilla

Post by jtzilla »

Good luck with the commander, I own a Cuda 14, I love it, and I paddled a lot of kayaks making my decision, I almost got the Ride 135 but Im glad I went with the Cuda, I stand and fish a lot and have never once turtled it, and I fish at least 3 times a week. Good luck

Merry Christmas