River info from hwy 20 to prairie lea

sherpaxc

River info from hwy 20 to prairie lea

Post by sherpaxc »

Hello all. This is my first post :D ! My family owns land on the SMR in Fentress. I've never floated past the hwy 20 bridge. Mostly because I'm a total new at floating and scared to go down a river alone that I'm unsure of. My questions are...
Is the section to the first bridge crossing pretty safe? Any rapids or dams?
About how long of a float would it be without fishing?

I spend a fair amount of time wading the river off our property and fishing it. I killed it last weekend on zoom craws with a slow retrieve. First good fishing trip of the year for me.

Thanks!
Warthog

Re: River info from hwy 20 to prairie lea

Post by Warthog »

I haven't done that float in a while, but last time I went there were a few obstacles. One tricky one was right by leisure camp, and there was a tiny crossing/dam thing further down. We ran it, but it could be easily portaged. I do solo river runs pretty often, sometimes on new ground. But...its really safer to take another person, and adds some fun to the fishing IMO. If you do go solo, exercise cation and scout hazards. I dont remember where which bridge we took out at, but i remember not ever wanting to take out there again. Maybe prairie lea #2 takeout? It was pretty much rock climbing up to the bridge with a boat on my back. As for float times, this website can help with distance: http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/guad7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . A full dawn to dusk day of fishing for me on the San Marcos is ~ 7 miles or so. I fish the entire time, rarely pass any good structure, and may stop at a good spot for a while to really work it over. Maybe someone else who has done this run more recently can chime in on obstacles and/or takeout difficulty. Good luck and tight lines!
sherpaxc

Post by sherpaxc »

Thanks for the information. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response. :?

You information is enough to keep me away from doing it solo. I really need to hook up with someone. I will most likely be taking a Friday off in a few weeks to go fishing. If I do I'll post up to see if anyone wants to tag along. You fishing description is pretty much exactly what I do. It takes me a LONG time to go 1 mile as I pretty much fish everything I can, especially if I can hop out of the boat and wade fish.
t100

Post by t100 »

sherpaxc wrote:Thanks for the information. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response. :?

You information is enough to keep me away from doing it solo. I really need to hook up with someone. I will most likely be taking a Friday off in a few weeks to go fishing. If I do I'll post up to see if anyone wants to tag along. You fishing description is pretty much exactly what I do. It takes me a LONG time to go 1 mile as I pretty much fish everything I can, especially if I can hop out of the boat and wade fish.
I'm planning a river outing the 18th. Would enjoy new to me water. I have a long term goal of completing the San Marcos river over time.
sherpaxc

Post by sherpaxc »

t100 wrote:
sherpaxc wrote:Thanks for the information. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response. :?

I'm planning a river outing the 18th. Would enjoy new to me water. I have a long term goal of completing the San Marcos river over time.

I think I'm actually taking next Friday off (April 24th). Let me know if you are interested.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Marcos Rodriquez, with Guides of Texas, fishes that section of the SMR.

Find him on his website and contact him for more info.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Warthog wrote:... exercise cation
... fitting mistake considering your education and profession...
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

jhb wrote:
Warthog wrote:... exercise cation
... fitting mistake considering your education and profession...
I can see you've got anion my verbiage.