Kayaker Dies at Nasworthy

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Kayaker Dies at Nasworthy

Post by Aggroman »

Beautiful evening yesterday. 90 degrees, light winds, and warm water. Two folks decided to do a little kayaking on the lake. She had her pfd on, he didn't. They were hit by a jet ski who couldn't see them because he was looking into the setting sun. Both were knocked from their yaks. She came up, he didn't. It's been over 20 hours and they're still trying to find his body. It's about a mile from my house as the crow flies, and we fish that area when we go out. My daughter and I fished that same spot a few weeks ago. The kids and I went by our normal drop in spot this afternoon, which is close to the area, to pay our respects, and say a prayer for that young man's family. Having a pfd on might not have saved him from dying, but at least he would have popped up to the surface and had a fighting chance.

There are some strong opinions about them on either side about wearing and not wearing. I even said, it's not a law around here, do it, don't do it, it's your life. All I can do is encourage safe kayaking. I'm not being preachy about it. I am to my family, who all know it's the first thing on and the last thing off...period. But as I stood there today with both my kids beside me, one on each side, I couldn't help but think about that 20 year old's family that may be standing across the lake from us, looking out over the water, holding on to each other, and waiting for one of the recovery units to hook into their dead son and bring him back to shore.

I guess I may sound a little preachy when I say, you may not do it for yourself, but by gosh, do it for the sake of your family. Wear a pfd.

The search and rescue boats are towards the middle of the photo. Lots of skiing and having a good time going on around them as you can see by the other boats.

Be safe out there guys.

Scott

http://sanangelolive.com/news/crashes/2 ... ng-kayaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p.s. I also said a little prayer that it wasn't one of our flock. Selfish maybe, but hey, i'm a bit partial to this group. Take care guys.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Kayaker Dies at Nasworthy

Post by Aggroman »

Update: They finally found him. Very sad.

http://sanangelolive.com/news/crashes/2 ... -collision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Very sad.

I agree with your sermon.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

Not good at all sad deal all the way around. I am really surprised that there are not more accidents then there are some days with as much traffic that there is on the weekends and during the summer months.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

No joke. We don't go out there on the weekends at all. Even in the week during the summer, we'll stay in no-wake areas. Not worth the risk with all the yahoos out there. It was weird seeing the rescue boats out there searching and a guy water skiing 100 yards away from them. The show must go on, I guess. Stupid.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

What gets me is a few years ago they closed the north pool down for a recovery. Witch I had no problem with. But how can you focus on what your doing when your wondering about your own safety with the everything going on around you.