Two bass plus one other fish of any species

2B+1

Let's go fishing
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: November 2015 Competition

Post by jhb »

I fished the Comal yesterday, the old cut behind Schlitterbahn (since the CoNB thinks they can regulate state waterways and had the rivers "closed"). Anyways, it was flowing less than 200 cfs, and relatively clear for a chocolate color, I could still see plants at 2-3' deep. Didn't catch a dang thing in two hours. I've got some private access from 1st down to Gruene that doesn't need River Rd. (which is destroyed) so I may go out there soon, Guad is ~ 400 cfs right now. Gonna be a tough month for the inbounds waterways.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I wanted to hit up the Comal above Landa Lake this afternoon, but Blieders creek is still flowing into it pretty good. As a result the water is chocolate milk. Hopefully the Comal will be fishable again in the next few days. Their releasing a lot of water out of Canyon again, so the Comal will be our only place to fish in New Braunfels for the next week or two.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I noticed that. Blieders might be running for awhile, they've got River Rd. shutdown at the Blieders Xing. Guadalupe release is just shy of 5000 cfs, the lake will drop over the next week and if they keep it that high they'll wash some debris down and hopefully the silt with it. I don't expect the Comal to look good for about a week, the Guadalupe maybe two. San Marcos is still being obliterated by the Blanco River so not much going to happen in bounds this month...

I got an idea- how about we open this month up to any Texas waters? Skypilot would have to approve, but maybe in instances of local flooding we bend the rules a little since I know I'm going to have to get my fix somewhere...
Zackthefisherman

Good idea Jhb.

Would anyone be down for a day trip to the coast? I've really been wanting to go down there. The only problem is with my new car I'm limited to the distance I can safely haul a yak until I get a roof rack/trailer. So if anyone wants to go I'd be more than willing to pay for gas and other expenses.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

We can always fish the upper guard its cleared up but still flowing super quick
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

jhb wrote:I noticed that. Blieders might be running for awhile, they've got River Rd. shutdown at the Blieders Xing. Guadalupe release is just shy of 5000 cfs, the lake will drop over the next week and if they keep it that high they'll wash some debris down and hopefully the silt with it. I don't expect the Comal to look good for about a week, the Guadalupe maybe two. San Marcos is still being obliterated by the Blanco River so not much going to happen in bounds this month...

I got an idea- how about we open this month up to any Texas waters? Skypilot would have to approve, but maybe in instances of local flooding we bend the rules a little since I know I'm going to have to get my fix somewhere...

I am "all in".

Lake Bastrop, etc., would be safer . . . . and still fishable.

Good luck to all.

Let's go fishing
Zackthefisherman

This morning I got a great start to the month. Lately I haven't been able to get out on the water a whole lot, and the few times I have the fishing has been slow. Today I planed on using the slightly off colored water of the Comal to my advantage and it worked. It wasn't a huge numbers day. More of a quality day which helps build my confidence after this long rut I've been stuck in. Excuse my poorly written code.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Zack - well done!

Those are some nice fish, under any conditions.

You have set the bar HIGH.
Zackthefisherman

I got a little time to fish this afternoon after class. I caught a few bass, some sunfish, and unfortunately lost two bull Rio Grande Cichlids.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Killin' it Zack! I'm too focused on venison... freezer is getting empty.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

did you catch those fattys on the fly? what flys are you having luck with on the Comal? if you don't mind sharing

JHB, lets go fishin!
Zackthefisherman

Yep I caught them all on the fly. I caught all these on my version of a Near Nuff Crayfish. In my last picture you can see it, balled up and in bad shape, above the 17inch mark. My go to fly for any body of water is an olive cats whisker, and I've found it works well on the Comal as well.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Thanks for the pointers.
Zackthefisherman

Made a quick trip to the Comal this morning. It was super windy and the conditions were tough but I manged 1 decent bass, a big Rio, and a few dink sunfish.

I decided to cut the trip short after getting ticked off by a group of extremely rude snorkelers. I was trying my best to avoid these people and show them respect, but they didn't give any in return. At one point I'm fishing a really good spot that is usually loaded with giant bass, and here comes this guy who decides to swim right into the spot. He then says to me, "dude theirs some big fish right here." I'm thinking, "no **** Sherlock why do you think I'm fishing here." I'm a calm person so I just nod my head and move on. I move further down stream and to the opposite bank to give him space. Well a few minutes later here comes that guy again and he switched to my side of the river. This time I'm not moving and he can swim right up to my line and get hooked for all I care. He doesn't get hooked but he does swim right up to my line. He comes up and says, "sorry" in a insincere tone. I finally say, "do you mind?" I sit there staring at him for a few seconds and paddle off and leave. Like I said before I don't get mad easily, but I'm sure someone without my personality would have chewed him out. This guy wasn't the only one. His whole group was very rude and wouldn't give me space to fish. I could go on more, but this rant is already long enough. :evil:

The brighter side. I must have got water on the lens so excuse the blur.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Ive only seen snorkelers on the upper part around hynman island. were they down at the guad and comal? you should have thrown a big ol rattle trap at him :evil:
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

That's what I was thinking... chuck a 2 oz pear weight above a bright chrome rattle trap and see if you could catch a really big one... but that would get you nowhere. Zack, I applaud your patience and restraint, you sir are a much better man than I.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

and I.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Jhb wrote a good article on winter fishing our rivers: http://kayakfishingblog.com/2015/11/win ... hing-tips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jhb you left out the tips for getting rid of rude snorkelers.
Zackthefisherman

Nice work jhb that was a good read. :clap:

My favorite thing about winter bass fishing is the lack of people on the water. I love the days when I have the river all to myself.

Honkey, I was fishing the upper Comal around the Island.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

got ya zac. ive never ventured up that far always to many swimmers and tubers . I guess this tome of the year it would be ok tho

CONGRATS TO WARTHOG on he new baby. hes going to hold every junior fishing record for sure
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

very good read JHB im jonesing to get out now
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Thanks honkey! I'm already preparing his fishing curriculum. I have the baby backpack and mobi wrap thing to hike him around and get him acclimated with the outdoors.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Thanks guys for the kind words and thanks for the plug Warthog and again, congratulations on your new mini-Warthog. I'm sure it won't be long before he is beating us all in the monthly tourneys as well.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Fished before the front on Friday below the Dunlap Dam. No bites until I started ripping a crank real shallow over rocks, caught a bunch real quick in the same hole. Best one was this guy. Not even an entry, forgot my code, but I wasn't worried, just happy to fish after chasing venison for the past month. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG