Nueces whites

Yakin Teacher

Nueces whites

Post by Yakin Teacher »

2/7 - fishing was a bit slow after the front. Ended up with 30 between my father and son and I. White grub roadrunners worked well as did smaller rattletraps. Launched from the 281 Airport launch and paddled upstream. Lots of yaks and john boats as well in the rapids.

2/13 - fish bite was ON!!!! We found minnows in three rivers and that made all the difference. Ended up with 3 limits (3 fishermen ..... to all law enforcement reading :D ) and then just started having fun. catch and release about 80 more fish. SO MUCH FUN on an ultra light!!!! Still some bigger males and females, but lots of little dinks as well. One of the old salts up in the rapids says that once the little ones start showing up, it is almost over. Not sure as this is our first year to be on the run in the nueces.

Most everybody was catching fish in pools, right before a set of rapids, and right after the rapids. You could almost pick the white bass up out of the rapids they were running so well. It was pretty cool to watch. 8)
castin4fish

Re: Nueces whites

Post by castin4fish »

Where in Three Rivers did you find those there minnows if I may ask? I usually throw rooster tails, but I know minnows will double the luck. Thanks
lucky78

Post by lucky78 »

I know of 75 fish getting caught yesterday. 2 weeks ago tomorrow me and a buddy pulled 50 out and 2 weeks before that we pulled 50 out. I dont think ill be going tomorow as i dont have anyone to go with and prefer to yak in pairs. I use a jig spinner with a chart jig on it with some silver streamers coming off. pick em up at walmart cant remember the name of the jigs but its a catchy name. my buddy was using a white grub just bouncing it around. didnt seem to matter any of the times we went. we are padlling about 4 to 5 miles up from the airport launch and just HAMMERING THEM. half way there is also a spot we have picked up a few but it seems everytime a yak or boat comes through the spot is done for.
Yakin Teacher

Post by Yakin Teacher »

castin4fish wrote:Where in Three Rivers did you find those there minnows if I may ask? I usually throw rooster tails, but I know minnows will double the luck. Thanks
There is a store on 281 at the y intersection in three rivers. "speedy stop" maybe....? They get minnows in every thursday... and during the run, they are out by Saturday. They are proud of their minnows too! 5 bucks a dozen!
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Yakin Teacher wrote:
castin4fish wrote:Where in Three Rivers did you find those there minnows if I may ask? I usually throw rooster tails, but I know minnows will double the luck. Thanks
There is a store on 281 at the y intersection in three rivers. "speedy stop" maybe....? They get minnows in every thursday... and during the run, they are out by Saturday. They are proud of their minnows too! 5 bucks a dozen!
I've fished that river for years and I only use roadrunners. I'm not saying minnows are a waste of money and time, but for myself personally, that seems to be the case.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Yes they were proud of their minnows and yes Jimbo they were a waste of time. Caught two small males with them. Caught most keepers on rattletrap. Thanks all.