Which one and your 2nd and 3rd place

Kayak buddy

Which one and your 2nd and 3rd place

Post by Kayak buddy »

Hobie pa 14, Hobie pa12, Hobie outback, Hobie revolution and native slayer propel 13. Why you picked the first half of your list and why you put the last ones last.
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Which one and your 2nd and 3rd place

Post by Gofish! »

Hobie revolution 15 would be my first choice. No faster kayak with the mirage drive and when you get shallow she will paddle with the best. Draw back: Stability for standing. (Revolution 13 or Outback would be the smaller version, but the 15 would have the optimum performance capabilities)

The other end of the spectrum would be my second choice. The PA 14. Good speed with the mirage drive and then you have comfort and stability for standing. Draw back: Can be difficult to operate in very shallow water and paddling is almost a zero with any kind of current or wind. (Smaller version is the PA 12. I do not know if there is a performance difference from the 14. If I am going big, then I want the extra room)

I would rank the Slayer last and only because I hear that the propel system is not as powerful as the mirage system. That is only what I heard.

All of these kayaks are nice pieces of equipment. No matter which one you pick, you will learn how to use it and love it.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Having never used a Hobie, I cannot comment at all about any of them.
I chose the Slayer Propel 13 for the following reasons.
I mostly bass fish in open water but also like to hit the rivers/creeks for white bass/hybrids in the spring and chase reds in the marsh.
For me, the reverse makes all the difference in the world while bass fishing. Additionally, the kayak paddles well, if I need to remove the drive unit to fish the marsh or areas where the drive unit might be a hindrance.
Although I'm sure there is a Hobie that will fit some of my needs, none have reverse, which pretty much the main reason why I went with the Native.
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

I chose the Outback It is overall the Best Fishing Platform, I did Rent The Slayer 13 and the Hobie PA 12 before going with the Outback, hands down the Outback set up is unmatched for Fishing IMO.

Outback - 4 Rod holders, Sealed Front, Rear and Center Hatch( I now have the Rectangle Hatch, Which is the best Upgrade) Not as easy as you would like with Paddling but when needed it is very manageable. I have Paddled and Push poled through the Marsh without issue.

Slayer - would have been 2nd and only because of its ability to be paddled, Easier then the Outback but that would be the Only thing on the Plus side, Comes with one Rod Holder that's only good for using while your landing Fish no sealed Front Hatch ( You can buy the Cover ).

PA 12 - This is an Awesome Ride but I Put it 3rd because of not being able to Paddle it I was out with Low Winds and going into the Wind was Pretty much impossible and I didn't feel it would be a safe choice for me because if the mirage drive broke being up the creek without a paddle would really come into play here. You can by a repair kit and carry Tools in case but I wasn't looking to repair a Kayak on the water to get home.

I cant rank the PA 14 or Revolution but I didn't look at these because the PA 14 is Heavy and I would assume impossible to Paddle. I wanted something more Stable then the Revolution although I have heard good things about both.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Revo 13, then the Revo 16 and last would be the Outback. The Revo 13 paddles well, is less weight than the 16 and shorter. As I got older, everything became harder to handle. Never liked the Outback due to being too slow to paddle. With the shallow waters I get into, the PA series do not work for me.
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

hobie PA12,outback,PA 14 I bought my first outback 2007 it was fast and very fishable.I kayak to fish not fish to kayak.now own a Pa 12,could not see any reason to have the extra weight of the 14.I dont paddle much,but if you have a hobie neither will you.I love my PA12 and dont see how they could improve it,IT going to be my last kayak most likely,as it will serve me for 12 years and i am 73 now.
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

If I had to choose only 1 kayak from your list would be the PA14. Does everything I want, goes anywhere I want. Is it the best for all applications, no. But I've learned over the years that its the best overall for me. If I could have 2 kayaks, the 2nd would be the new Revo 16 and I would use for those long trips, super fast and excellent going through rough waters (however I would not like giving up my ability to stand and all of the extra room of the PA.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Buzz, I cannot answer that because I did not see Tarpon 160i on your list... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

M T Stringer wrote:Buzz, I cannot answer that because I did not see Tarpon 160i on your list... :wink: :wink: :wink:
I'm entertaining a peddle kayak I have a wildly thresher
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

M T Stringer wrote:Buzz, I cannot answer that because I did not see Tarpon 160i on your list... :wink: :wink: :wink:
:clap: :clap: :clap: