Waders

Blatio

Waders

Post by Blatio »

I'm in the market to buy some waders to tote in my yak, but want something lightweight. There are many to choose from - neoprene, with booties, without booties, socks that require boots, etc. I'm aiming towards the breathable ones with boots installed as opposed to having a separate set of boots to attach.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding what works best. I have some older neoprenes I use for hunting, but they're a little heavy and probably uncomfortable to wear in the yak.
Oso

Re: Waders

Post by Oso »

I bought a pair of the Game Winner brand at Academy. They have the boots on them, are breathable, and have chest pockets. They were on sale for $70 a few weeks back. I like mine a lot. Save the receipt and if they ever leak, you can take them back no questions asked. They fit me great. I hear good things about the Frogg Toggs as well, but have never owned them.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Well, ... the thing is, if you end up having to drag your kayak across a marsh pond, it's going to be a foot or more of soft mud. That boot footed wader boot is going to come off.. I think probably on the 2nd or 3rd step. That's why it's best to go with the stocking foot, and buy wading shoes to put on so they are laced up and stay on when you're wading the mud or dragging through it.

The boot foots would get you buy if all you waded was good solid bottom areas..

Go try on some stocking foots and various wading shoes.. if you can't swing the best high end brands like Simms, that's ok, just get something to last you a season or 2 and then get something else. Even the canvas wading shoes are fine to start with especially if you're just using them every once in a while in the yak. But, don't expect them to last any longer just because it's infrequent use. And hand them in an indoor closet when not on a fishing trip. The heat ruins the seams on the lower cost selections.

If you are concerned about also having to carry socks then just size them for your typical sock, but ... in the winter when the water is 50 degrees both uninsulated boot foot and stocking foots with wading shoes are going to require a thick pair of socks to fight off the cold.

As far as breathable or neoprene waders.. for our areas I'd just go with the breathable and layer up with clothes underneath as the weather / water temperature called for it. Like this past weekend.. Sunday the air temp was in the 70's ...awesome.. water was COLD at 58. Had to dress for that cold water not the air temp.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

I finally got away from waders,and went to a NRS boot . They never last long and always getting leaks. So far these have worked out great. Of course they are limited to how deep your wading.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016121 ... 63c28c.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

First of all, listen to the above advice - don't get the boot foot waders. At least not unless you will rarely wade and never in mud. Even on sand bottom, a mile of wading in boot foot waders is likely to wear you a nice blister. They are uncomfortable in the best conditions and can be excruciating in deep mud. I know they are cheaper, but do yourself a favor and get a decent pair of breathable stocking foot and a pair of cheapo neoprene booties (canvas degrades faster and are a PITA to lace up compared to a zipper). And neoprene cleans up much easier.

I've always been too cheap to spend the Simms money, especially because, at my height of 6'-7", for the "tall" sizes, it means an additional $160 on top of the regular cost.

So what I used to do is get neoprene. They last, are warm and are pretty easy to repair when they spring a leak, which they will. I used to get 4 or 5 years out of a pair.

Eventually, I got some breathable waders, because neoprene was always warm and in transitional spring and fall seasons, I'd sweat my arse off after 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning. So with breathable waders, they aren't as easy to repair leaks, but it can be done. And I went with Magellan brand for the first pair. They lasted 3 seasons of occasional use (not as many trips pert year for me these days) before springing a leak. I repaired it and they went another year before getting another leak.

I got my second pair of breathable waders two Februarys ago. Gulf Coast Waders brand. Very nice, taller in the crotch than any pair I've ever had of either type, which should mean less stress on the crotch, which should mean fewer leaks.
Blatio

Post by Blatio »

Thank you all for the great advice, I wasn't expecting such thorough elaborations - so this was very, very much appreciated! My takeaway is that the boot waders are uncomfortable as well as a potential hazard.

I took the general consensus and bought a pair of reef/wader boots (Frog Togg's), with plans to buy some breathable sock waders. The Frog Togg waders are double-triple the cost of Magellans - but couldn't find my size at 3 different Academy's. I may just Amazon it instead and take shot at getting the right size.

For now, I'll just use my reef boots and wade in with my fishing pants, then try not to freeze my A off. Or maybe I'll just stay in the kayak until I get ahold of some waders for the winter.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Just remember that wearing waders in a closed confined yak with hooks or other items that might rip or tear you waders is hazardous to your waders...just have to be a little more careful and as Tobin and others explained.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Blatio wrote:I took the general consensus and bought a pair of reef/wader boots (Frog Togg's), with plans to buy some breathable sock waders.
I looked at the Frogg Togg reef boots a couple of weeks ago. I was disappointed that they did not have any in a size big enough to fit over my waders. Ended up getting some Everlast Flats Boots and was surprised that they were $10 less than the Frogg Toggs.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

the wadefisherman that drowned in Christmas Bay recently had his waders fill with water so watch out for that.

http://abc13.com/news/angleton-teacher- ... t/1652165/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

MobyYack wrote:the wadefisherman that drowned in Christmas Bay recently had his waders fill with water so watch out for that.

http://abc13.com/news/angleton-teacher- ... t/1652165/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So sad, my heart goes out to that family..
kody_bud

Post by kody_bud »

I'm normally a shop at Academy type of guy but the best bang for your buck is bass pro shops white river men's sticking foot. Sized big enough for big guys if you are like me. They will exchange them if they ever leak. I have been through atleast a half dozen cheap wader but the white rivers have lasted pretty good. My pair eventually started to leak at the seams. Took them back and now I'm dry again. Just my 2 cents they cost $109 I believe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

kody_bud wrote:I'm normally a shop at Academy type of guy but the best bang for your buck is bass pro shops white river men's sticking foot. Sized big enough for big guys if you are like me. They will exchange them if they ever leak. I have been through atleast a half dozen cheap wader but the white rivers have lasted pretty good. My pair eventually started to leak at the seams. Took them back and now I'm dry again. Just my 2 cents they cost $109 I believe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Academy does the same for any leaks or tears to their waders in stock. No questions asked. No receipt needed. I have exchanged three pairs since I have owned them.
Paddling Ghost

Post by Paddling Ghost »

The only way to go is a breathable wader with stocking foot, you can alter your boot for various bodies of water and always wear non-cotton garments underneath to aid in moisture wicking to keep you feeling dry. In addition to a PFD be sure to wear a wading belt cinched tight on the outside of the waders in case you do go under it will stop the flow of water to the lower parts of the wader.
Blatio

Post by Blatio »

MobyYack wrote:the wadefisherman that drowned in Christmas Bay recently had his waders fill with water so watch out for that.

Thanks for posting, and no, I didn't hear about this. SLP at Christmas Bay is usually my go-to spot, just went there Saturday as a matter of fact. I'd strap my waders to the front if I planned to use them, and always were a life jacket. So sad to hear about this and can easily see how that could happen. Most of that area is only waste deep, but when that current starts to flowing - man, better hold on to something tight!

Fishing Report - only caught on rat red on a chartreuse with a popping cork. Water was very clear, but didn't see much bait jumping anywhere. I took my time paddling back because that wind was blowing at about 20mph. Lol, even took a nap half way back! Good times man!!
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Blatio wrote:

Thanks for posting, and no, I didn't hear about this. SLP at Christmas Bay is usually my go-to spot, just went there Saturday as a matter of fact. I'd strap my waders to the front if I planned to use them, and always were a life jacket. So sad to hear about this and can easily see how that could happen. Most of that area is only waste deep, but when that current starts to flowing - man, better hold on to something tight!
I read about that as well, I used to live and fish in that area. So sad...

Every pair of waders I have ever seen come with a waist belt...but whether or not you choose to wear that belt is up to you... :shock:
When I get invited to go on a boat trip that will involve wading, I always bring my PFD. There is usually some teasing, and comments regarding the status of my man-card, but I'm intelligent enough to ignore it.

If I go fishing in winter months and am wearing waders, my PFD is guaranteed to be on the entire time.
I'm not much a fan of wade fishing anyway...my back is always sore for a few days afterward, so the PFD helps out a bit with that.